CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sleeker luvva. carlosfandango is on a distinguished road carlosfandango's Avatar
    carlosfandango has donated to the forums!

Default More power from a FE series Engine.

The following link gives an isight into how your stock FE performs -
    http://www.toysport.com/webpages/Tec...E20Engines.htm

The following link shows pics of a Turbo install in a 5SFE powered Camry, dyno figures before and after results and compression ratios before and after, also charts of different boost levels - looks to me like he got this install to work well.

http://www.meisners.net/camry/

my search continues to bring FE modifying techniques, I know some of you guys have done it allready, but we dont have any Gen 4 FE's in the UK so i'm enjoying learning about what powers your Celica's.
    Last edited by carlosfandango; 04-02-2005 at 01:00 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Celica's - 90 185 JDM GT4 - 89 165 UK GT4 - 87 162 UK GT Convertible (nitrous 3SGE)

Now playing with;
    K6 Suzuki GSX1300R K6 Hayabusa. 9 sec qtr.
    RR-V Honda CBR900RR Fireblade.
    06 Mitsibushi L200 Animal. 410nm TQ @ 2,200rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosfandango
    ....we dont have any Gen 4 FE's in the UK so i'm enjoying learning about what powers your Celica's.....
    Be glad you don't; you lucky blokes got the later versions of the 3SGE that never made it to North America
    ^
    88 ST165...All-Trac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89GTS...Ol' Faithful

86GTS...my 3rd Celica

Sleeker luvva. carlosfandango is on a distinguished road carlosfandango's Avatar

Hey, the FE is a well developed engine, later revisions got better and better at giving low down torque, which is what I want, 'waiting' for the wheels to pick up later in the power band aint realy my thing, I want it from the word go.

Giving this principal, some engines like the 3SFE are going to like boost, will just give you the hammer nice and early and wont have much power later in the band. Torque makes the wheels turn, so from a FWD point of view and high peformance I can understand why its 'easier' to have the power later, once your up and moving to stop the car bouncing off the line and spinning rubber and smoking out. But from a longevity point of view taking into consideration the manufacturers base, and driveability issues, a little boost on an FE has gotta be a whole world of fun.

Add fully synth oil with good esters and your smiling.

GE isnt better, its different.

Previous Celica's - 90 185 JDM GT4 - 89 165 UK GT4 - 87 162 UK GT Convertible (nitrous 3SGE)

Now playing with;

My car has an FE and is a lot quicker than my friends with the GE.
    Although his is stock, the GE supposedly has 100kw standard. FE 86kw.
    Mine however has Crow Cams, flowed head and full cat back exhaust system. Also has Uni Filter.

I would love to see what sort of kw it is making but do not see how thrashing it on a dyno can be good for it.
    Is there any other way to see what it is making without putting it on the dyno?

Quote Originally Posted by Jase TOY20C
    Is there any other way to see what it is making without putting it on the dyno?
    drag race - times mean a lot more than power figures :waveoz:

Now playing with;

drag race - times mean a lot more than power figures :waveoz:
    Car ran 15.9 at wsid Dragway (Australia) on slicks. Air temp was 17 degrees celsius.
    On the street it runs Pilot Racing 16x6.5 rims with Nitto Tyres.

thats a time to be proud of

Now playing with;

Quote Originally Posted by Jase TOY20C
    Car ran 15.9 at wsid Dragway (Australia) on slicks. Air temp was 17 degrees celsius.
    On the street it runs Pilot Racing 16x6.5 rims with Nitto Tyres.
    Very well done, sir! N/A 3sfe.. and it's actually reasonably quick!

My hat's off to you, but I still think my 3rd gen could do better.

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

- Texas Coffee Revolution

well that was a load of crap if i ever seen it

Sorry to be harsh but i dont see why they say that yuo should swap to GE cams and such....its not easy to just swap cams from a GE style motor into a FE one.....and in the end why do we need to?

I have been working with the 5vz-fe for years now and after all these years I have finally started developing products for that market as well as other FE style engine 1mz-fe, 3mz-fe, 5s-fe to name a few....all those engines are great...esspecialy the mz/vz series blocks.

"The short answer is- if you are seeking a true high performance engine and high HP outputs- upgrade to the GE version of your engine (if available). "
    Hehehe i cant help but giggle....
    or instead of that
    "The REAL aswer is- if you are seeking true high performance from your engine you can use the money you would have spent finding a GE, swaping it and all the parts needed into your car and put it into your current engine"

Its just the head...wow...thats great but that can be upgraded and buitl to outflow a GE Style one...and you would have spent the same amount...

ahh well each person has there own view
    -Johnny
    ------------------

New site is up!

My 3sfe on 88 celi St. I'm satisfied/ its performance, I don't really race so I won't be to concerned about acceleration. But on the other hand I like to reach top speed sometime, so this I'm satisfied / its performance. It made some improvements after I put a cold air intake, N1 muffler, downpipe, spark plug wires, better ignition, took off my rear seats, spare tire, light weight 14 rims/ low profile tires, full synthetic oil, performance clutch, and adding the damn octane booster before fill up or every fill up time. My future mod. for this 88 3sfe, includes a short shifter from twm.com, headers performance headers frm. pacesetter, and lists goes on. Pics will be available as soon as I can, new to CelicaTech.

-Part 2- RE: 3sfe ( custom exhaust system, not to get members confused on turbo only N1 exhaust systems and downpipes)
    -Future Mod- Plans includes: ( wet shot of Nos Preferably 60 shots, replace stock headers, short shifter, stage 2 clutch, Eibach springs, 2 pairs of gas shocks, front sway bar, replace my stock gauges, body kits, bore pistons and throttle body, change catalytic converter.
    -Wish lists- I wish I can replace my 88 St: cam-gears, camshafts, turbocharge the engine, gt-4 body kits availability for my ride :-(,change the flywheel, install performance pulleys, upgrade my ecu, rear sway bar. That's all my biggest disadvantages through my 88 Celi. that needed to be accepted, emotionally.
    -My investments- I try to invest in improving my skills rather than concentrating on how my car would look.
    -pride- My son and wifey and I have a 00 4runner sr5, Solara and My toy, 88 Celica St that I enjoy driving now cause it pulls better, might be cause I made it lighter and because its a 4lug pattern.
    -Plans- Drag race the celi, once every performace mods I can put in it are done and good to go. Celicas rule!.

my 5s fe pulls 16 on the strip i have not done any mods to the block or the computer or drive train

mwkappus

Does anybody know if there is any way i can improve the speed/acceleration on my 1988 celica gt with a 3sfe without high cost.

Anybody know what size exhaust makes the 3sfe happy? On my 240sx, 2.5" was the sweet size.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom240
    Anybody know what size exhaust makes the 3sfe happy? On my 240sx, 2.5" was the sweet size.

Do a search for "exhaust physics" or something. There's some good info around here somewhere.

- because we can.

- my site

- my blog

- Texas Coffee Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by mwkappus
    Does anybody know if there is any way i can improve the speed/acceleration on my 1988 celica gt with a 3sfe without high cost.
    replace vac lines, change oil (synth), custom cai system, and go on a diet!
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2908224/1

slightly advance the timing

Advancing the timing leads to head gasket and big end bearing failure without high octane fuel?

Unfortunately you can't degree the cams like a GE but you can make sure they are optimum.

Easiest & cheapest way without head/motor mods is to find GE gen2/3 headers or good aftermarket plus a freeflow system and cams from a later model.

Fine tuning and wheel alignment?
    Chuck the EGR crap?
    Fit a JDM ecu?

Big horsepower or high revs in an early FE is not advised, the rods simply aren't capable of withstanding the extra grunt. The flywheel has 6 skinny bolts compared to the GE's 8 bigger bolts

Spot the GE/FE difference? Aftermarket rods are even stronger

The GE and FE share a block, oil pump, water pump - thats all.
    I agree with weasy, for the money and aggro it is cheaper and easier to switch to a GE
    Last edited by schnee; 05-25-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Two year old thread bump wow

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

About time somebody made some sense :lolhittin

Looks like I'm the only one left with a 4th Gen

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

GE isnt better, its different.

Sorry, I LOL'd at this. Tell that to the flowbench.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

What flow rates did you get?

The FE has smaller valves with less duration & the valves lie in a pit surrounded by walls.

I'm very interested to see those figures

Next you'll be telling me the compression is higher and the exhaust less restrictive

Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Looks like I'm the only one left with a 4th Gen
    Nay, sir.

Resident 4th Gen Master here.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    What flow rates did you get?

The FE has smaller valves with less duration & the valves lie in a pit surrounded by walls.

I'm very interested to see those figures

Next you'll be telling me the compression is higher and the exhaust less restrictive

I was laughing at the fact he said the GE isn't better. Because the GE is much better.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Quote Originally Posted by vip09
    I was laughing at the fact he said the GE isn't better. Because the GE is much better.
    well, yeah.......everybody knows that the narrow angle F head and its slave cams are a recipe for disaster. You really can't get around it. And after 23 of the 3SGE being around I'd be really surprised if everybody turned around and said "We're tuning the wrong motor!"......lol, that would be a trip
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

Thread Information