CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Non-factory equipped system 10 door woofer hook up guide *56k warning*

*DISCLAIMER* I nor celicatech.com are responsible for any damage that may occur while performing this upgrade. If any damages do happen to occur, it will be under the responsibility of your own negligent behavior and will be up to you to repair them or have them repaired. In no way shape or form will I nor celicatech.com be held responsible if you find any differences from what you read and what you find, keep in mind this was performed on a 90 Celica GT, and other celicas may vary. Please be cautious when working with electrical items to avoid shock, or damages to the vehicle. Before working, disconnect battery and place outside of vehicle.*DISCLAIMER*

This is a guide for anyone wishing to add system 10 8 inch woofers and door panels into a car not equipped with system 10. With this guide, it will make wiring up an aftermarket amplifier very simple when running the speaker wires. You will also know how to install the speaker housings with this guide, and if you choose, swap linings from one door panel to another

Now, lets get started

I managed to acquire system 10 door panels and speaker housings, and of course I was dying to install them and get them working. Problem is, my car is of course non-factory system 10 equipped, so after a little bit of exploring and research, I managed to figure out how to work it without running wire to the doors.

After taking off your old door panel, you need to cut into the plastic insulation to fit the speaker boxes properly. Here is a pic of where you need to cut, the large area, and dont forget about the smaller rectangle below it!

In the pic above, you can see that the plug for the speaker housings is easily accessible. Simply got the white tape retaining it, and you may either pull the plug outward to expland the bunch held with electrical tape, or cut the electrical tape off

Now its time to install the speaker box. Before inserting the box, you will need to clear way for the bolt holes. There are 3 round, black stickers covering up the bolt holes. You may either just puncture them, or you can remove them entirely. I recommend removing entirely as it is less hastle in the long run

I find it easier to puncture a hole, and grabbing into some of the sticker with pliers to pull off

Here is a pic of one of the stickers with the center punctured

Next, place the speaker box onto the door. Start by inserting the bottom rectangle in first, and then press the rest of it into place.

You will then want to install the bolts, but what if you didnt get yours from a junk yard and have no bolts? Well I have you covered. The correct bolt pattern is M6-1.00 x 16 (about an inch long) and you should get some washers as well.

At this point, you will only be able to install the bottom 2 bolts, unless you managed to get a plastic clip for the 3rd bolt hole. I noticed on mine, I did not have the plastic insert or anything for the 3rd bolt hole (highest circled hole in this next pic), but do not worry, its not really necessary. You will be able to have the speaker box hold just fine with the bottom 2 holes.

Circled in red are the bolt holes that you will mount up at this time, unless you cant install the 3rd one. Do NOT install the 4th bolt in the very top bolt hole! I did not circle it because it will be installed when you install the door panel.

Now, install the system 10 door panel, and you're half way there! Time to move on to hooking these speakers up

So after some research, I pulled out my passenger side seat according to shadow's guide, but being without system 10, found no kind of harness or anything for the factory amp. So, what to do? Find the leads elsewhere, and I found a VERY easy to access area that works extremely well

I traced equipped system 10 plugs mounted in the doors back to each fuse/relay panel, and found the wires leading to each speaker

This first pic is of the drivers side wires, here are the 2 wires you will need

*NOTE* On each panel, there is a blue/red striped wire directly beside the set of speaker wires. Do NOT confuse this wire with the blue/red striped wire you will need to cut! (not sure why toyota did this)

Also note, I popped out the panel to ensure my wire tracing, this is not required

This next pic shows the wires to cut on the passenger side fuse/relay box, the same blue/red striped wire is there as well, but this time is not an issue (ignore my fog light rewire lol)

Now, make the cuts, I chose to leave a little bit of wire left in cause I would ever want to reconnect the wires to the plug, though is unlikely.

Here is a pic of the drivers side plug after I cut it, just so you can tell for sure which wires are correct. You also do not have to remove this plug, I did to double check that these were the correct wires to cut. You will see to the right of the blue/black striped wire the blue/red striped wire that you do not cut.

Now, connect speaker wire to the correct wires, and run the speaker wire to your amp or any other signal output! You will then be able to power up these speakers and enjoy the added sound

So here is some bonus information. What if you dont like the lining on your new system 10 panels? I didnt, so I swapped them out and I am going to show you how. You will need some form of glue, I used rubber cement which you can find at walmart in the auto section with tire supplies (pressure gauges, repair kits, etc) and it works very well

First, remove old linings from the system 10 panels. If you do not plan to keep the linings for any reason, just pull it off and make sure to get any left on material off. If you have difficulties getting them started, see the next steps.

Next, remove the linings from your old door panels, or ones from other panels that you may like. In this next pic, the bottom of mine was already starting to come off which made things easier. CAREFULLY remove the lining, you don't want to ruin it.

Now what if they aren't starting to come off arleady? Grab yourself a butter knife, start at the bottom where it is likely to be weakest, and get it started. You may also need to use a solvent as well (according to Galcobar, nail polish remover works well), I didnt require any solvent.

Next, tape off the lining area like so to prevent glue from getting on unwanted areas

Then, in a well ventilated area, brush on the glue. The rubber cement I got at walmart had the brush in the lid which was very convenient

Make sure to also brush some on to the liner itself thoroughly. The glue on the panel will appear to start drying, do not worry, its no big deal, do not get in a rush. After applying glue to the liner, carefully place it onto the panel, and once in place, remove the tape.

You may need to weigh down certain areas of the liner if they appear to be coming up during the glue drying. My passenger side lining did this because of how the glue was starting to break down and it was coming off, the liner curled. Just weigh it down where necessary, and be patient. Rubber cement seems to act fast, so you will not need to wait too long.

Here was my finished product

And now you're all set!

*NOTE* content subject to change at any time.
    Last edited by celicaGT90_05; 02-08-2009 at 04:08 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Great job so far!

Finish it up and I will add it to the write-up I did on System10. Then there will be a complete write-up on the topic that has lots of pictures.
    (Plus it will be your first sticky)

Keep it coming and don't forget the rest of the pics.

-Mario
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

BANNED

92VertGT is on a distinguished road

On Top of the World>United States>Midwest>Marion, IA
    Images

Nice job man!

I'm guessing you stole all the screws from the donor car?

I'm short a few screws since I got my panels from someone that wasn't quite nice enough to include the speaker housings and all screws related to the door...

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

thanks guys! Yep I'll be sure to get it finished, just gotta get back down into the doors.

I did snag all available parts, and I do have some left over from my previous door panels.

alright all done! I even threw in some bonus information

I'll work on getting this set up tonight. Nice job.
    - Mario

Questions?

sounds good, thanks!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Nice writeup

In that harness plug you pulled, are any of those wires going to the 4" speakers? I was thinking of grabbing some system 10 panels, and throwing some 6.5 speakers in the doors and running those off the headunit and tossing the 4s entirely.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Slider
    Nice writeup

In that harness plug you pulled, are any of those wires going to the 4" speakers? I was thinking of grabbing some system 10 panels, and throwing some 6.5 speakers in the doors and running those off the headunit and tossing the 4s entirely.
    Im not entirely sure, but I wouldnt doubt it since the tweeters by the mirrors are along the same circuit as the 4's. What might be easier than referrencing all these wires is when you pull out the 4's, just chop off their plug and link it right to the wires I have shown for the door woofers. it might require a little bit of added wire, but they are right by these fuse panels so chances are you wont, and if you do then it wont be very much.

Also, if you were to cut the wire at the panels for the tweets, you would disable the tweets unless you connected them back up with the woofers. I'd just find it easier to do as I recommended

PRO-TIP: The clip for the third screw is part number 90179-06015 listed as **Std Part

I will confirm this when I make sure this is the right part number when I do my panel install.
    Last edited by METDeath; 02-07-2009 at 10:27 PM.

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

You are correct, the 4" and the tweeters are on the same "circuit"

The wire for the 8" should be in each door, irregardless of model, but:shrug:

So how do you fell about your first sticky?
    - Mario

Questions?

well i approve haha its just nice to supply people with good info when necessary.

But yeah slider, if you plan to remove the 4's, might as well do the way I said, I think it would appear more professional and you wouldnt have the plug there with no where to go

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Sounds good, thanks

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

Update: the nuts are no longer available from Toyota.
    Last edited by METDeath; 03-19-2009 at 05:58 PM.

nice work.
    i am currently trying to add a sub to my system.
    where did u find the wiring diagram for the stereo?

Thread Information