CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default MSD Ignition devices

looking to upgrade the ignition system of my 89 Celica GTS setup. has anyone had experience with the MSD products?

i am looking at the 6A box to start things off. i already have Magnecor 8.5mm wires, and will be purchasing a new cap and rotor as well. heck, i'll even replace the o-ring on the distributor where it plugs into the back of the head.

so yeah... anyone have any experience/feedback with a 6A box setup?

thanks!
    Independent AMSOil Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

*shrug* It works. Technically the stock ignition is more than adequate. It was fun to see what I could do, but the benefit isn't worth the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I'm hoping to add a 6A 6200 to my 165 by spring. From most of what I have seen, people have had very good results. However on a 3SGE I am not sure you would see a huge benefit.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    I'm hoping to add a 6A 6200 to my 165 by spring. From most of what I have seen, people have had very good results. However on a 3SGE I am not sure you would see a huge benefit.
    msd no loner makes the 6a 6200 that number got superceded to a 6201.Due to the fact that MSD no longer does analog boxes they are all digital now.Pretty neat if you ask me and I have the 6a on my MR2 and it does the job.

Angel

91T MR2 830whp 635wtq
    92 Celica WIP

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Interesting. It seems to be still available at summit though:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-6200/

But I see they also offer the 6201

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-6201/

Do you know what technically the difference is between analog and the digital units?

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Looks like less draw, higher output...I'm assuming that it is still compatible with oem ECU types? (eg. PowerFC)

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The old units are still available until they run out. There are still a shitload of 6200's out there. From what they say in the catalogue it will still work the same with everything, just updated guts inside.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

most everything that i was reading, was that the emissions are cleaner, the mileage improves, the idle is smoother and the power is better at the higher rpms.

i am NOT looking into the MSD items for power reasons at all - i'm looking for the rest of it.

Images

In that case it most certainly won't hurt. If anything you will definitely get better spark and a more complete burn.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

yo chrisd! i think u need a tach adapter for the tachometer to work properly. and it eats plugs too. because of the multiple sparks(thick blue sparks), the benefits i found was :it starts faster, quicker revs and cleaner burn.

what sort of plugs were you running, that were killed so quickly?

Images

Hey Ian Yes I will need the 8910 tach adapter.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Images

8910EIS, actually.

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

Images

Haven't totally looked into the differences between the 8910 and 8910EIS models...but sure, could be. I have to use whatever the one is for the OEM type ECU's since I'm on the Power FC.

As for plug wear, not a problem. I change mine far before I need to, since I don't really put that many miles on the 165 every year.

Hey Ian - I didn't realize you were running an MSD ignition also? Will have to take a closer look next time I see your car.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Haven't totally looked into the differences between the 8910 and 8910EIS models...but sure, could be. I have to use whatever the one is for the OEM type ECU's since I'm on the Power FC.
    Oh it is, been running it on the stock ECU for almost four years.

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

hey Chrisd! i had the msd on my 1990 celica gts (the 5sfe motor). i had to used a tach adapter . i think the 3sgte and 5sfe have the same ignition setup and for the tachometer.

Thread Information