CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default building a workbench

ok so i was browsing craigslist for a workbench and found a few but they re 100 dollars or morw when i got to thinking, he i just need someothing simple maybe ill build one. So i searched google and came up with this site here http://www.freeww.com/workbenches.html
    and decided on this bench, http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/w...h/below20.html cheap and simple.

ill probally make it large/sturdy enough for a vice and maybe a grinder.

what do you guys think
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 01-27-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

For the construction of the Benchtop section:

1 x Sheet of 3/4" Plywood or OSB.

Cut to the length you be using and make sure you have 2 x equal sized sheets.
    Take the sheets and secure them together using liquid nails. Clamp down the edges and throw a bag or two of concrete or a couple weights in the middle to make sure that section is secure as well.

If you will be using a larger bench-vise:
    I recommend getting 2 x small (maybe 9" square) sheets of 1/8" steel. This can be had at any Lowes or Home Depot.
    The reason for this is to provide support and load distribution on the top and underside of the bench when using the vise.

Rounded end-caps: So you don't poke yourself on the damn corners! (Don't ask how I know... )

Sealer : To make sure that your work area is at least mostly waterproofed. ( You never know when you might have an accidental spill)
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

I'll add more later.
    - Mario

Questions?

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

I'd add 2 or 3 extra braces in the center across the top and definitely no less than 3/4" as mario suggested. The sealer and metal sheets are also a great id.ea. Nice little cheap bench setup.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

i have a feeling this is gonna cost more than 20 bucks, more like 50

Quote Originally Posted by 85gtsblackman
    i have a feeling this is gonna cost more than 20 bucks, more like 50
    mario wheres the rest of your input

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I'd vote against mounting the grinder on the bench. I've found a grinder is most useful when you can manipulate it and the object you're trying to grind down. Especially when to comes to the wire wheel. *shrug* I've always liked a heavy pedestal grinder.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

id mainly use the grinder for making short shifter. but i have 2 other giners but yeah pedistal one are nice but i cant really bolt it to the floor here

pending on how this comes out i may build a 6 foot cabinet using a similar frame design
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 01-29-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Sorry, been a bit busy today.

I would mount the grinder to the workbench in one of the corners. Preferably opposite the vise. A bench grinder is meant for just that: to go on a bench.

If you feel adventurous, use a hole-saw and drill out a couple holes to act as holsters for drills and air tools.

Depending on where you plan to have the bench physically located, it may suit you to install an outlet on it. This will make life much easier when you want to do things like plug in a shop light or a dremel in that workspace.

If it will be up against a wall and there isn't anything behind it, Use a peg board. It's a great way to keep your tools organized, and they'll always be within easy reach.

Coffee cans (with lids) are also a great way to keep spare nuts and bolts along with other small parts organized. Just something to keep in mind.

Lastly, I don't know how much wood-working you do, but a hinge with a locking section (like a folding table type) would be a nice addition on one end mated to another 24" piece of plywood. Just one folding leaf. Sometimes it's really useful when you don't have a helper handy.

-Mario
    - Mario

Questions?

here is mine. cost me $0

lower cabinets were from the hospital nursery, counter top was from a dermatologists office, florescent light was gotten in there somewhere.

ass, well im building this in my folks house so im trying to make it cheap

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrWOT
    good link

Thread Information