CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Can anyone confirm for sure..

Whether the fenders on the 87-88 alltracs are any different than all the other Celica models of the same years? I was certain that they are the same, but wrecking yards are arguing with me, so I want to be sure. They are under the impression ALL alltracs had wider fenders, instead of just the 90-93 as I had thought.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

They aren't wider, but are cut differently. The standard fenders extend down further in front of the wheel, while the All-Trac ones stop after the marker light and use a larger bottom trim piece. The standard ones still go down about 4-6 inches after that light.

Theoretically you could cut a normal one and make it work, but I can't confirm that 100%.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Bleh, so they're different. That's really unfortunate.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

yah all the mounts are the same they just cut differently to accommodate the alltrac bumper and bodykit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The alltrac fenders are a tiny bit wider. I know because I have had to replace one fender on each on my alltracs with regular 4th gen fenders. Its such a tiny difference that you wouldnt notice it w/o me pointing it out so dont worry about it.

The only difference in the fenders is the extra holes drilled in the alltrac versions for the body kit. Its not a big deal, like I said Ive use regular 4th gen fenders and so have many others.
    Red st165
    White st165
    Black st165 (finally gone)

Well.. in that case, I'll probably use a "regular" one unless I get really lucky and find a good alltrac one. Grill, headlight and hood pieces are interchangeable also?
    –verb (used with object)

Yup all those panels are interchangeable.

I wonder what gave people the impression that the fenders are "cut" differently.
    Red st165
    White st165

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88st165
    Yup all those panels are interchangeable.

I wonder what gave people the impression that the fenders are "cut" differently.
    Every one I've seen has been. Won't discount your experience though, if you've actually had both off I believe you over my glancing inspections.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Either way I am now obligated to comment on spoons fugly regular 4th gen fender

I had some rust on the inner of the passenger fender on my 165, went to a pick and pull to replace with a reg 4th gen fender and as I recall it wasn't close enough? Maybe I measured wrong :shrug:

One my red 165 I ordered a drivers side gt/gts fender brand new from toyota and it bolted up exactly the same except for those few holes for the alltrac body kit.

One my white 165 I bought a pass side fender used from someone online off their gt and same thing except for those extra holes again.

I could see how one would think that the alltrac fender wouldnt extend as far down because the side skirt bolts to the fender by the trim molding and then again on the bottom.
    Red st165
    White st165

Well I managed to find everything the same color, already threw the hood on. Turned out the grill itself was ok, just had to replace the "Celica" trim piece across the top. I haven't messed with the fender yet, so hopefully that will work and I'm able to put the trim piece on it.. we'll see..
    –verb (used with object)

So I got everything on. I do see where the alltrac fender has a bit more flare in front of the wheel, but yeah, not too bad. I drilled holes and installed the molding. HOWEVER. The thin strips of molding that seem to be glued to the fender are shorter on the non Alltrac, and worse, they don't have the notches on the bottom to fit the alltrac molding into. I think probably the only way around that is to peel the strips off and use some kind of adhesive to stick the alltrac ones on. But anyway, yeah, it works well enough if you can't find an alltrac fender, but I'm not 100% happy with it.
    –verb (used with object)

Images

Good to know, thanks for the update Spoony!

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

Anybody know the part numbers for the Alltrac/GTS fenders? I usually use the toyodiy site, but it's not 100% correct. On something like this I wanna be absolutely sure.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

I think all trac and GTS use the same fender, but the alltrac has some small squares cut in it for mounting the quarter panel bits. Ill be installing the front alltrac bumper soon onto my GTS fenders so ill see how it goes if anyones interested

Quote Originally Posted by Meph
    I think all trac and GTS use the same fender, but the alltrac has some small squares cut in it for mounting the quarter panel bits. Ill be installing the front alltrac bumper soon onto my GTS fenders so ill see how it goes if anyones interested
    I can tell you they're different by looking at the picture in your sig, looks like your fenders are exactly like the fender I got and put on my alltrac. Instead of having a valence on the bottom that wraps around and attaches to the bottom of the fender (like yours), the alltrac has a separate moulding piece that attaches with a bracket to the fender, and extends from the body side molding (that your side marker light is mounted in the center of) down a few inches lower than the fender. The alltrac bumper has to be taller since it doesn't have that bottom valence wrapping all the way around.

BUT... if you get those fender molding pieces also when you get the bumper, you CAN drill two holes in your fender and mount them, but to get it to line up right with your current body side molding, you'll need to also peel those off and put alltrac body side moldings on, OR you'll need to cut the tabs off the top of the alltrac lower moldings. If you don't use those bottom moldings though, I think you're going to have an awkward gap, the fenders will not be flush with the alltrac bumper.
    –verb (used with object)

Good info in this thread
    ^
    88 ST165...All-Trac

89GTS...Ol' Faithful

86GTS...my 3rd Celica

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick89GTS
    Good info in this thread
    Definitely. I was thinking about a sticky, but those really need to be cleaned up in here. I'm probably going to reorganize this section when I get some time. The old stickies from a former mod are annoying me. Until then, this is bumped good enough to stay close to the top with the post frequency here...

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

just as a note. the GTS and ALLTRAC fender are the same except for the body skirt mounts. the ST and GT are not as wide.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mafix
    just as a note. the GTS and ALLTRAC fender are the same except for the body skirt mounts. the ST and GT are not as wide.
    I will second this (GTS and Alltrac are the same, GT/ST are different).

Also FYI All-Trac fenders are no longer available from Toyota so you have to purchase GTS and modify. I have two brand new fenders in my garage awaiting install...
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    I have two brand new fenders in my garage awaiting install...
    I do too, but I think mine are Alltrac fenders.......can't remember.
    Last edited by RedRkt01; 03-09-2009 at 07:14 PM.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    I will second this (GTS and Alltrac are the same, GT/ST are different).

Also FYI All-Trac fenders are no longer available from Toyota so you have to purchase GTS and modify. I have two brand new fenders in my garage awaiting install...
    So the lower valence on the GTS wraps onto the fenders like the alltrac moldings I assume and the GT/ST bumper just has no lower valence to end up flush with the bottom of the fender?

Also, any idea if the body side moldings are still available and if those are the same for alltrac and GTS? I'm betting they're not the same for the GTS because they don't have that same molding that extends from the body side molding down and therefore aren't cut with the notches on the bottom and may not extend all the way to the wheel well like the alltrac.
    –verb (used with object)

No the alltrac fenders, body kit, and moldings are unique only to the alltrac.

Only the "flare" of the fenders are the same between the gts/alltrac. The gts fenders are still different because they dont have the holes for the alltrac body kit.

You just need to transfer the alltrac bodykit and moldings to the gts fender and you wouldnt even notice the difference.
    Red st165
    White st165

Thread Information