CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Battery Relocation

I remember a while back someone posted a like to a kit for relocating the battery to the trunk. I searched the forum and I couldn't find anything, so can anyone give me a link? I have a '91 GT if it matters. Also, on a related note, what's the electrical "box" attached to the battery tray?
    1991 Celica GT Hatch:

-Ram Air Intake
    -Custom Exhaust
    -Megan Racing Muffler/Tip
    -Custom Downpipe and High-Flow Cat
    -'98 Camry Header
    -Motegi 16" Wheels
    -1 1/4" drop
    -TWM short-shifter
    -Kenwood Head unit

I bought a kit to relocate mine from Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com). The only additional thing I bought was a fuse holder.

That's a fusebox attached to your battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    1991 Celica GT Coupe

Originally Posted by BellaCelica95
    lmao- it's okay cause you rock my socks.
    ^ She's talking about me

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    I bought a kit to relocate mine from Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com). The only additional thing I bought was a fuse holder.

That's a fusebox attached to your battery.
    Which kit did you buy (they list several)? Also, did you mount the fuse box on the side wall in the engine compartment after that?
    1991 Celica GT Hatch:

-Ram Air Intake
    -Custom Exhaust
    -'98 Camry Header
    -Motegi 16" Wheels
    -1 1/4" drop
    -TWM short-shifter
    -Kenwood Head unit

The only difference between those kits is the color of the box. I forgot to mention, but the box that those kits comes with is HUGE, so I bought a smaller box at a local auto parts store (I think it was a Bumper to Bumper) for $8 or so.

In order to move the fusebox the farthest possible from the old battery location, you have to turn it on its side to mount it. I wanted to move it as far away as possible in order to make room for a heatshield (I want to maximize the volume inside of the heatshield). I built a really simple bracket out of 3 pieces of aluminum flatstock that I bought at a home improvement store for a couple of bucks. The bracket bolts onto the car via the places where the airbox used to mount with a couple of socket head cap screws (if my memory serves me right). My car is in storage right now, but it should be out within a week and then I could get you some pics.

-Dave

Thank you Hooligan! I really want to do battery relocation for several reasons: freeing up more engine compartment space stereotypical engine comopartment space with a FWD car and the Celi is no different, and when my dad was replacing the battery he was taking off one of the bolts to remove the battery braket and he stripped it and broke off the bolt in the thread so now we have ghetto wire holding the battery bracket. The only reason he saw was the fusebox which you solved pretty easily so a simple writeup/pics would be great.

1991 Celica GT Coupe

Originally Posted by BellaCelica95
    lmao- it's okay cause you rock my socks.
    ^ She's talking about me

I know it's a stretch, but I just remembered that I had these pics (look at the engine ones on the bottom):

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ddhelges.../car_pics.html

-Dave

gen5

Off topic-What intake pipe did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by gen5
    Off topic-What intake pipe did you use?
    I made one from a stainless U-bend.

-Dave

Out of curiousity, it you moved the fuse box to mount on the sidewall of the engine compartment, would you have enough clearance to lead the pipe under the front bumper?
    1991 Celica GT Hatch:

-Ram Air Intake
    -Custom Exhaust
    -'98 Camry Header
    -Motegi 16" Wheels
    -1 1/4" drop
    -TWM short-shifter
    -Kenwood Head unit

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze
    Out of curiousity, it you moved the fuse box to mount on the sidewall of the engine compartment, would you have enough clearance to lead the pipe under the front bumper?
    I don't know and I did not even consider that an option because I did not want a so called "cold-air" setup. I wanted a setup that didn't grab hot air off of the tarmac and that had no chance of hydrolock.

-Dave

i am also looking into relocating my battery, but i also want to put in some sort of posts to allow jump starting if needed.

Couldn't you put a hydrolock valve in the piping (I've heard of doing this, I just don't know how well it works)?
    1991 Celica GT Hatch:

-Ram Air Intake
    -Custom Exhaust
    -'98 Camry Header
    -Motegi 16" Wheels
    -1 1/4" drop
    -TWM short-shifter
    -Kenwood Head unit

Quote Originally Posted by potfiend
    i am also looking into relocating my battery, but i also want to put in some sort of posts to allow jump starting if needed.
    You can always jump the car from the trunk...it's no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze
    Couldn't you put a hydrolock valve in the piping (I've heard of doing this, I just don't know how well it works)?
    Yes, but I didn't feel like taking the route of hotter air, increased risk, and greater cost (those valves are about $40).

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    You can always jump the car from the trunk...it's no different.

yeah but unlike all people here, i have my celi being set up for audio. im doing a full fiberglass install in the back, and for secutiry reasons i am enclosing the battery in its own compartment, along with fuseboxes and such.

Thread Information