CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Worn Piston Rings on the new 5S

I had to take the car back to shop last night. The oil light came on, and when I checked the dip stick, I was almost out of oil. This morning I got a call from the shop, and they said that the problem is most likely worn piston rings. This shouldn't be happening to a 60000 mile engine, should it? Does it sound like they put a bad engine in the car? If the engine wasn't "brand new", wouldn't that require a rebuild?
    I'm a litte pissed right now, because I have had the car back just over a month, and there is already something major wrong with the new engine. Should I raise hell and demand a new engine, or am I making a big deal over a small problem?
    Thanks
    "...and if getting attention is your goal, this thing is even better than a Lambo Aventador with rubber tits hot-glued all over it."
    ------------------
    Storm
    -'92 SW21 MR2

-'92 Celica GT Convertible

-'92 Celica All-Trac

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

it's a big deal, if they don't fix it i'd raise hell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Leakdown.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Hell, I only had a bottom-end rebuild done to correct a spun bearing (neglected an oil leak) and had my piston rings replaced. Actually, had a fun time with those, the new ones leaked -- the mechanic said it was the first time in twenty years he'd seen a new set leak, but they were replaced without charge.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

dude, ive blown 2 engines in 6 months from some fucked up company who cant rebuild a fucking engine right...

im getting real good at pullin my engine tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

be pissed
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

Got the car back, they replaced the piston rings. I'm just worried about scoring on the cylinders.
    The car seems to be running fine, and I didn't see any smoke from the engine oil cover, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The owner told me to bring the car back in 500 miles for a full checkup.
    At least they covered the work under the warranty.
    "...and if getting attention is your goal, this thing is even better than a Lambo Aventador with rubber tits hot-glued all over it."
    ------------------
    Storm
    -'92 SW21 MR2

-'92 Celica GT Convertible

-'92 Celica All-Trac

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

as they dam well should. im about to claim my second warranty job on my "rebuilt" engine

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

I'm glad to see it's running. Hopefully it stays that way. Keep us posted.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

Thread Information