CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

nice work!
    95 camry 2 door
    5sfe (43,764 miles of sexyness) 5 speed
    speed MODS:Short shifter,Sold torque mount,strut bar,Power steering delete,A/c delete,Egr delete,Pcv breather,TB coolant bypass (x2),Stage 3 racing 5 puck clutch,Balancer shafts removed,balancer shaft oil galley plugged,1 off oil tray,NGK Iridium Spark Plugs .055 gap,summit street cd,4age dizzy cap,8mm plug and coil wires,summit cd coil,"cat" high flow 3sgte water pump,low temp thermostat,hyper voltage stabilizer, grounding system,Generic header,2 1/2 pipe header to muf, magnaflow high flow cat,summit turbo muf,vafc,rebuilt head (light p+P and mill .040) and 2 tb intake mani, hood spaced 3/4 inch, 255 lph fuel pump, Px3 thermal insulating Intake manifold Gasket, moog sway bar bushings, none “flamboyant” shift light
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    \

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Junior Member bajachris88 is on a distinguished road

Images

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath
    Nice flip flops (or whatever you call those type of sandals, I know that's what we call them here in the US)
    Lol thanx.

In Australia we call em thongs... Which some other countries give us the wierd eye when we mention em', cause they think of the g-string haha.

The kiwi's call em Jangles

Ah, I thought that was it. Another random tidbit, Japan calls thong underwear "T-backs".

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

That thing sounds beastly. I am sooo going to try my luck with a 5sge.

She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

hey bajachris88, fast question for you
    did you need to use the 3sge timing belt sprocket that mounts to the crank?
    95 camry 2 door
    speed MODS:Short shifter,Sold torque mount,strut bar,Power steering delete,A/c delete,Egr delete,Pcv breather,TB coolant bypass (x2),Stage 3 racing 5 puck clutch,Balancer shafts removed,balancer shaft oil galley plugged,1 off oil tray,NGK Iridium Spark Plugs .055 gap,summit street cd,4age dizzy cap,8mm plug and coil wires,summit cd coil,"cat" high flow 3sgte water pump,low temp thermostat,hyper voltage stabilizer, grounding system,Generic header,2 1/2 pipe header to muf, magnaflow high flow cat,summit turbo muf,vafc,rebuilt head (light p+P and mill .040) and 2 tb intake mani, hood spaced 3/4 inch, 255 lph fuel pump, Px3 thermal insulating Intake manifold Gasket, moog sway bar bushings, none “flamboyant” shift light
    \

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beingblueeyes
    hey bajachris88, fast question for you
    did you need to use the 3sge timing belt sprocket that mounts to the crank?
    yes, to assure exact 3sge timing of cams. i think from memory the number of teeth on the 5sfe one vs 3sge was different. which would put everything out of whack if u used it, (as the tooth ratio per rotation rada rada rada would lead to a steady movement out of timing...

I couldn't get my stubborn oil pump pulley off, which ended up being smaller than the 3sge one (tooth count wise). Which meant it would spin faster than the 3sge oil pump, which means greater oil pressure (not too much, but a bit more to keep it lubin everything well).

I used the 5sfe water pump too. I didn't touch it.

SO ALL IN ALL!

3sge cam gears and crank sprocket gear, 5sfe oil pump, water pump. Tensioner was 3sge, i can't remember what i did for the idler pulley though. You will need the 3sge timing belt and tensioner anyways, so when u buy the timing belt kit with all of it... you will get the idler pulley anyways, and see what fits better.

All that stuff was the easy part, except the cam timing. Cause of the different size of the oil pump pulley (tooth wise...), the distance of belt between the cams and crank was different, leaving it either a tooth retarded or tooth advanced... I played with it till i got sick of it lol, I think i just advanced them both half a tooth, was more gutzy then retarding...

although they say u got more torque retarding. But there is heaps of torque available advancing. I tried it every way cept extra tooth advanced. I'm sure that would have been even gutzier (but at the price of being higher in the revs)... i'm just lazy...

hmm... thats one long rediculous way to answer your simple question lol. Sorry, but hope it helps. Thought i would go into detail.

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

how hard would this build be on a 4th gen GTS?

Id have to get a 5s short block.

Would it be easier to use a 5s or 3s ECU?

And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Actually grot, since you have the GE head already, this whole swap would be a lot more simple for you. All you would need to do is drop the 5S block in under your head with almost no other modification.

This is a great post about what you would be doing.
    http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17078

But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

How much all in all did this cost you? I'm looking into doing this as a side project on my car and would like to know how much I should save before I jump into it.

So can this be done just as easily with a newer 3SGTE head?

Images

Cost wise,

$170 for gt4 dissy,
    $220 for 3sge head, cams, intake manifold
    $15 for water outlet,
    $165 i think it was for VRS set (all the gaskets for the job)
    $75 for 3sge throttle body
    $25 for alternator mount and tensioner
    $100 for head to be shaved and checked by HeadWerx
    $150 misc (oil, filter, 3sge radiator top hose, VDO thread adapter for water temp sensor, cleaning compounds, degreaser etc).

So all up it would cost ya $920 Aussie dollars. The junk yards will become your favourite place.

It probably cost me another $350 on top of that though for the spare dissies and throttle bodies + another head gasket i went through while trying to work out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to whether it can be done to a later 3sgte head? The answer is yes. the block is the same. the only issue is that you most likely will have to adapt the block to a different oil gallery and water passage design. Thats the only problem that i am aware of. In regards to how you do that, you will have to ask around. It could be a slight difference or a great, i really don't know. But in a perfect motor sense, i would love to fit a later type 3sge VVTI with a 2.2ltr stroker bottom end.

As long as its a 3s or 5s, you know you have the S-type block to which all the heads bolted onto it are capable of fitting. Just depends how difficult it wants to adapt though. the 86' 3sge head was a perfect fit.

Images

note to all!

If doing a 5sge, it will affect your air fuel ratio. Not determentally, i did not have over heating issues till i learnt the hard way why you don't use 105 octane fuel, along side a fowled radiator cap.

BUT!

the point here is, for the money you spend during this conversion, it doesn't hurt to buy one of these awesome devices. i stand by it personally:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...s&form=KEYWORD

its $85 AUD.
    It will require a $70 hand controller as well, as they do not provide the software to use your laptop. cable connection is a D25 cable i believe, same as your oldskool printers, able to be obtained from almost nearly any electrical/computer shop.

For your TVIS control (i'm yet to obtain this, but am so keen for lower end power):

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...h&form=KEYWORD

$38 AUD

Thats a hell of a cheap AF controller. I think that could have a lot of applications other then this. I'm going to check it out.

But i still love her...

Images

update:

engine still going strong. further overheating issues were the result of a VERY clogged up radiator, not the negine. it has been replaced with one from ebay. Its a cheapo from shanghia, gt4 3sgte performance 2 core aluminium one cheaper than the actual factory replacement. made an offer of $175 aust and it got accepted. Much cheaper thatn $390 for a factory replacement in australia. and it was a complete bolt on unit. no mods required.

100% FAULTLESS. just fit orig thermo fan and temp sender and ur set.

all i need is a proper 3sge fuel rail, as the adapted 5sfe one isn't all that firmly mounted. although very tight, i'm getting a very light dampness around the injector seals, resulting in a slight fuel smell. car hasn't caught fire yet, so alls good

Otherwise, its still just singin happily more than eva.

man that's great to hear, how many miles have you put on that setup to date?
    95 camry 2 door
    \

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Awesome, you have convinced me. When i do swap it out, this is what im doing.

And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Images

Have now reached 236,000 kms since last decembers 2008 5sge conversion.

I believe it was around 219,000 km ish when i did the conversion.

Only issue was a troublesome radiator, all sorted with a replacement. in turn, i believe the overheating due to the bad radiator was the reason the head gasket caved up. BUT! i didn't have ot replace it, only 2 days ago i added some 'liquid glass' radiator additive and it worked the treat to seal it back up.

All good and strong now! I pretty much hit hte red line every day. just gotta keep on top of water and oil and she goes forever... (so far)...

That stop leak stuff seriously sealed a head gasket?
    1993 GT-S

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

Just saying hopefully that stuff doesn't seal more then the head gasket. I tried to seal my radiator with stop leak. The leak stoped and I needed a new radiator beacuse it plugged more then just the leak.

Edit: Looked over the first page seen that you were looking for a way to control the t-vis. Seen someone said a shift light don't know if you found a answer. In the power primer for 3sgte it talks about using a rpm activation switch. Goes in depth on using a dyno and looking at the torque curves with it closed and open. When the two cross that is when you want the t-vis to open. I bet you are using the butt dyno so I would say going with something like the Summit RPM-activation switch. You could wire it to the cabin of the car. Set it to stock settings for the 3sge and adjust to the butt dyno. For how to wire it someone else might be able to tell you if it is the same as the power primer.
    Last edited by rizin; 10-04-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Images

It hasn't clogged up anything yet, and i was concerned if it would initially because i didn't wanna mess my 50mm gt4 aluminium racing radiator i scored. I was pricing VRS sets to give the head another build and go. But my old mate down the coast swore by this stuff:

http://www.afcinternational.com.au/s.../1008_tech.htm

and gave me a container of it. he owns Vic Terry Automotive (his names Vic ) and been in the industry for 20 years and swears by it. and it has worked, its cured. If you want something you can trust and back up as a sealant, this is the go.

It is liquid glass with copper flake media inside. It doesn't coat everything and make a mess. it simply cures and 'collagulates' like a blood clotts where there is any crack, leak etc where a point of low pressure is created. The manufacturer even recommended it for new motors for final 'pin hole' seal ups from the factory.

Good thinkin on the TVIS. I found something though thats a frequency based 12V relay that opens or closes a circuit depending on an input frequency, and can be programmed to activate with either a rise or falling frequency as well. It was like $37 AUD kit from jaycar.com.au thats completely independent to the Ecu. You can hook up with the tachometer input as your frequency signal, and the circuit its manipulating being the vacuum switch for the TVIS. Its a universal automotive frequency switch, and can be used for water injection, shift lighting, adjustable aerodynamics etc.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...h&form=KEYWORD

I have it all assembled and the wires ready to go, checked the diagrams and where all sorted. Haven't fitted it though, been busy and lazy lol. University and my 69' vw baja project been consuming my time lately. The celica is the next in line after the dub for a full rebuild, and with the way SC14 super chargers go for price around here, its definitely in the plan.

Anyone know where to get good 5sfe appriopriate hi-po conrods for a 9000 rpm red line? from what i been told the crank is already c/w and forged. i never heard of anyone complaining about the cases, but will plumb oil squirers none the less... one day....

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

Glad to here you figured it out. On the rods I would run 3sgte rods and get the journals on the crank tuned down radius and polished. 5s-fe forged rods are about 400 dollars more then 3sgte eagle rods. There is no real need for the oils squirters. I have not read yet where a 5sgte guy has even drilled for them.

yea bajachris88 I hate going from week links like that. I’m happy the stop leak stuff is working for you. Could you do me a fav. (Since you are hitting red line every day) post a 0-60 (mph) time or a 10-70 (mph) time with max rpm hit in gears. I’m just trying to judge the power output to see if it would be beneficial for me to go to a 5sge

Thanks man
    95 camry 2 door
    \

Images

No worries mate. i took a few vids. sorry for hte rough angles.. trying to get the guages... Went out to the back roads of the sugar cane fields just out of town Best open straight i have ever seen, and VERY quiet. Its about 1/4 of a mile, with enough room to slow before it ends haha. (the corner comes up pretty quickly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg_vR...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lgL6qeQoAY

I was talking to a mate of mine from Canada whose building a 5sge, hes almost ready to give it a launch. apparently the GTS st184 had a better gearbox?? is this true?

In Australia, we call it the SX (liftback) or the ST (coupe) model, and the SX (which i got) is the 'more superior' one than the ST, 'apparently'. I got factory 4 wheel discs, and assume because it a liftback and 4 wheel discs (we neva got drums in the sx, St.. maybe? but can't guarantee) it might have the equivalent gearbox at the GTS?

wiki says Australia SX is same as GT... but i was told GT in north America had rear drums.... I dunno!

It has done alot of work, any my transmission has held up flawlessly. The first 2 gears are pretty close ratio and as soon as you get to 3rd it gets a little more tall. So the acceleration obviously reduces, but the speed just keeps increasing at a steady rate...

Thanks for the replay Chris, she looks very snappy in your vids. No worry’s about camera moving about (driving a 5 speed+ power shifting +steering=moving cam because you don’t have a 3rd arm :burn: )

Sorry man I haven’t any idea on Celica trans but what I was told once was the Camry has the best trans on a 5sfe because it has a better (higher) 5th gear ratio, could be wrong
    95 camry 2 door
    \

Images

haha, thanks mate.

Btw, thanks for the stats and specs form the calculator.... its good to know. Its definately a car that would benefit from higher compression running n/a as you stated. With the ratio the only way i can get the power out is by running the ignition fairly advanced. So much room to play there without pinging with low comp, but i have noticed too much is creating too much heat, but pushes ya back in the seat

Too little, and shes a cool slug. haha.

But theres a balance, and i rekon i got it sorted. but its definitley not complete.

Thread Information