CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    CelicaTech Vendor PhoenixTech is on a distinguished road

Default Project Stuart Little

Hi, my name is Mouse. I am now working for Dr. Tweak at Phoenix Tuning. I have always been interested in imports, but am new to the Toyota scene.

So, Dr. tweak and I have been talking about me needing another car since me and my girlfriend are new here and currently only have one. Dr tweak wants to provide me with a motivator for the work that we do and give me hands on experience with the joy of being a Toyota owner.

In the middle of the day as we are working on our wiring conversions. He turns to me and says, "Do you want a Celica?". Then tells me that he received an email about a project car that never got completed and needs to be gotten rid of by this weekend. This was on Wednesday. So the guy send us pics of the car. He tells us it is in pieces but everything is there. He originally wanted to do the motor swap to the 3SGTE and had planned on upgrading the suspension.

So on Saturday I meet Dr. Tweak here in Savannah and we go get a trailer from the local u-haul and head off to Daytona Beach, Fl.

When we arrive at Dennis's house I finally get to see what we are working with. I had assumed from the pictures he sent that the front fenders and bumper were removed as well as the engine. This is what we saw when we got there.

We have dubbed this: Project Stuart Little.
    Because, as you all now know, everyone calls me Mouse, and Stuart Little drove a convertible

Here are the pics as we unload the parts from the car. Dennis didn't just attempt a motor swap, although I'm not sure why he stripped the car this far down, he took out all the harnesses, seats, instrument cluster, disconnected the shock on the drivers front, and removed the headlight and the transmission. The stock motor was still in the engine bay but ready to be removed.

Putting the 3SGTE in the Tundra

Dr. Tweak strapping the engine down

At this point we were unloading everything from the 6GC to load the car on the dolly. Dennis even had the AWD transmission for the 3SGTE.

So as we are unloading the part from the 6GC I begin to wonder what Dr. Tweak has really gotten me into. His eyes are as big as mine as we work together to unload the car and see just how much work there is in putting this back together.

Then its time for the top to come up. It was a lot easier than we thought it would be. There is a switch to unlock the motor for the convertible top in the trunk, so it went up fairly easily.

We were told that the stock motor ran good when Dennis decided to park it and attempt the motor swap. The stock motor never made it out of the car.

With the help of the guys that were there we got the Celica loaded and were almost ready to head back to Savannah. Note the chains dragging on the ground after the Celica and parts were Loaded. When we pushed the car on the dolly I was in it. then tried to open the door only to find that the fender wells on the trailer were too close to open it. All the windows were rolled up and the top up so I had no choice but to climb out the door.

Here is all the parts loaded in the Tundra.

The Stuart Little Project loaded and ready for transport

Dr. Tweak and I with the new 6GC project

So to begin with we are going to reinstall everything including the stock motor and manual transmission to get it back on the road for now. We are going to sort out all the parts that came with this and figure out what is missing for the 3sgte. The turbo was gone, and with all the parts strewn around god know what else. Then we are going to order the parts we need to do the 3SGTE swap.

So I will keep you posted as we decide what else we are going to do to make this a one of a kind build.

Welcome!

And really.... that's not that bad...

I think the interior of my car was about that stripped/apart when i got it.

I hope you got that for cheap. This will be only the second 6th gen vert swap that i've seen.

Oh... and what other cars have you had/worked on?

You aren't the guy that did turbo Saturns, are you?

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

Wow, Good luck, looks like there it quite alot of work ahead of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar
    burnyd has been to an annual Dragon Meet! burnyd has donated to the forums!

welcome, I cant believe you can fit that many trannys in the back of a 6gc lol.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vangls14
    just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

great project.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

Looking like a great project. Keep us posted on your progress and Welcome to the site.

She's sold
    !

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by burnyd
    welcome, I cant believe you can fit that many trannys in the back of a 6gc lol.

Now in my sig lol

cant wait to see what the doc churns out next.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

CelicaTech Supporter 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST's Avatar
    90CelicaST has donated to the forums! 90CelicaST helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. 90CelicaST helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Good luck with everything, looks like fun.

I don't like people.

I don't like going out.

That is why my friends are all on the interwebz. That way when I don't feel like being sociable, I just close the window.

I'M KILLING IT k.beaty is on a distinguished road
    k.beaty has donated to the forums! k.beaty helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

looks great man, good luck with it all and i can't wait to see you're progress
    Kyle

1990 GT-S - Diamond wheel OG

Thanks for inviting me to the Toyota scene, and no we weren't the ones to do the Saturn turbos. That was Angry Mike

Keep it up man! looking forward to seeing the progress and the finished product!

Welcome to celicatech!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

That certainly looks like a lot of... fun.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

So in reply I have experience with Honda's, and Nissan's. I just moved here from Anchorage, Alaska and there are not a lot of import tuners there because most people opt for four wheel drive trucks that they can use year round

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTech
    So in reply I have experience with Honda's, and Nissan's. I just moved here from Anchorage, Alaska and there are not a lot of import tuners there because most people opt for four wheel drive trucks that they can use year round
    Tell me about your Hondas!

So last week we made it over to the shop to work on the 6gc. We decided first thing was to reinstall the fenders, hood, seats, and front bumper so it wasn't an eyesore. Plus i wanted to see what it looked like as a whole Dennis was kind enough to re-thread all the body bolts back into their original places when he removed the body panels. So the only bolts I had to search out were for the seats, which I found buried at the bottom of the trunk. The front end went together rather nicely.

I didn't install the headlights because they were buried in the car and I will have to take the whole front end apart anyways to reinstall the wiring harnesses.

This is installing the seats. I had to unpack the parts from the car, install the seats and then repack everything back into the car. So i have a good Idea now of what parts we already have.

While we were there I decided to go old school and put the hubcaps back on

So Saturday, we will be going and pulling the 5SFE to see if we can get it back in and driving for now. Dr. Tweak is working on ordering me a turbo for the 3SGTE this week. We are leaning towards a mild rebuild (gaskets and seals) on the 3SGTE and getting everything together so we can try to make it a weekend swap.

I will keep you posted.

Looks good man. Keep us posted.
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 19celica90 is on a distinguished road 19celica90's Avatar

Images

looking good so far. Diggin' those 90's chrome hubcaps LOL!

So on Saturday Dr. Tweak and I went to work on project Stuart Little. We met here at 11 and went to work. I started by reinstalling the wiring for the chassis.

Meanwhile Dr. Tweak was hard at work welding new motor mounts for a MR2.

Then I reinstalled all of the headlights. I was missing two bolts and found that they were in the bump stops for hood! So the chassis harness and headlights are done.

Now it was time to remove the C.V. axles and the 5S and inspect it before we get ready to reinstall it.

When I had the motor almost out of the engine bay, Dr. Tweak informed me that we were not going to reinstall the motor. I was still jacking the motor up as he was pointing at the block stammering. I said "yes we are, why wouldn't we? This is why we wouldn't

So we opted for the 3SGTE of course. We are ordering a turbo and going with a water to air inter-cooler. The 3S had a Stage 4 Spec clutch with it and were not going to use it. We are going to use the aluminum flywheel and get a staged clutch plate.

I started to reinstall the interior while Dr. Tweak looked over the 3S.

We pulled the plugs to verify the condition of the 3S. It had been outside for some time apparently and has some rust issues we are going to need to deal with. Luckily the motor isn't locked up.

Here is the #3 plug when we pulled it.

At the end of the day we decided that the 3S needs some work before being installed.

It def. needs a rear main seal, timing belt, water pump (while were there), a good engine cleaning, the new injectors, clutch plate, turbo, the axles repacked, the Wiring conversion completed, an exhaust system, and the water to air inter-cooler system built for it. Then we have to finish reinstalling the interior (almost done).

There is plenty more to be done. We will be over there this weekend and get some more done on it. Wish us luck.

Ouch... some block ventilation going on, i see....

OH well, i have faith in you guys.

Now... that Spec Stage 4 clutch... condition? Want to send it to me for free?

It's a new stage 3, and if you want it to blow up on you a week after you put it in, I'd be happy to send it to you
    -Dr Tweak, Toyota engine swap wiring expert extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tweak
    It's a new stage 3, and if you want it to blow up on you a week after you put it in, I'd be happy to send it to you
    Sure! Sock it to me!

If you're serious, let me know, i'll shoot you my address. Obviously i pay shipping.

So it's a Spec Stage 3.... Sprung 6-puck, right? I don't have an alltrac, so replacing a blown clutch isn't as big of a deal for me. Worth a shot.

I'm not serious, I'm not going to send you a disc that I know is going to explode.

If you want a GOOD clutch, I DO have those!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tweak
    I'm not serious, I'm not going to send you a disc that I know is going to explode.

If you want a GOOD clutch, I DO have those!

-Doc
    You said it was new, why would it explode? Is there an obvious defect to it?

If you're referring to the issues that people seem to have had with Spec clutches in the past, i'm aware of those and not real concerned about it. Sprung clutches have a higher failure rate, regardless of brand.

You have your clutch options on your website?

Spec built us clutch kits for a while. Every single one of their stage 3 kits (this one) blew up after only a few hundred miles. All of the rivets shear off leaving the center part of the disc spinning. They just kept sending us the same clutch over and over again and we finally stopped doing business with them.

Since then we've gone to Competition Clutch, and we haven't broken one yet. Here you go:

http://phoenixtuning.com/zenstore/

Free shipping right now!

-Doc

Thread Information