CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

Default custom apexi safc roof mount (56k warning)

hey guys, I've been looking for a clean way to mount my safc in a location that will keep it in an easy place to see, easy to access the buttons and keep it out of view so that the lower class of society will not be tempted to break in and steal it.

start out with an $8 investment in one of these:
    http://www.autobarn.net/unphho.html
    yes, you are probably discouraged by now but please read on. (i bought this at my local auto zone for $10)

materials needed:
    a pencil
    fillips head
    flat head
    wire cutters
    exacto knife
    small file
    sand paper (optional)

1) first use a flat head screw driver to carefully pry this plastic piece in your car off. we will call this piece "yay" from now on.

2) lay "yay" aside for now and turn to the cell phone holder you have bought. flip it over and start taking it apart.

3) take this screw out and save this screw.

4) this piece will have a piece of double stick tape over it. peel the tape off and take the plastic piece out of the metal frame. to look like so.........

5) next flip over the cell holder and unscrew the 3 screws on the back off.

keep only the back part, you may discard the front.
    6) next use your wire cutters. (not the purpose of wire cutters but its what i had) and cut the indicated parts on the back.
    do this on both sides.
    7) after you have done this to both sides, carefully snap it in half. it should be a clean break like shown.

*to make sure we are on the same page. this is a picture of the parts you should now have.

8) next is the hard part, lucky for you i did the trial and error and all you have to do is follow these exact measurements. use a ruler and measure from the top 16 mm down, mark with pencil. once again do the same and measure down 34 mm and mark it. this will be the top and bottom of the area you are to cut. please be sure to cut on the same side that i am.

9) as accurately as possible from side to side mark at 31 mm and at 41 mm.

10) next use the black metal frame you took off earlier and trace using the markings you just measured.

11) using an exacto knife start the slow and painful process of cutting this. i found the easiest way was to start lightly to make an imprint and then start applying pressure once you have a line to guide you.

DO NOT get impatient and think of new and awesome ways to do this unless you want "yay" to come out cracked like mine.

12) after "yay" is cut, you can smooth the edges down with a small file or sand paper.
    13) test fit to see fitment. (you can also now forget about the black metal frame.)

14) making sure we are on the same page here is what you should have.

15) put it together to look like so. adjust the way the screen faces you to your liking using the teeth and tighten.

16) clip back into car. my mount fits very snug, but if yours rattles a bit simple take "yay" back out and pad the plastic piece sitting in there with something like silicone or caulking.

it does get in the way of my mirror a bit but i am 6'1 and sit really close so my mirror points pretty high, also its a bigger mirror. i am going to solve this by mounting the safc up a little higher.
    tomorrow im going to fill holes damn holes i drilled and super glue that nasty crack together before i put it in. hope you guys liked the write up.
    Last edited by celica91gts; 11-10-2008 at 05:12 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Stickied for future reference. Excellent write-up.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

Thanks man, i still want to buy your molded frame for the safc though. your version would look much cleaner then this.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Well, now I'm fighting with the machine shop to try and get my schematics back. They just keep giving me excuses. Fail.

I will for sure let everyone know when I get this ready to go.

Once again, great job, very creative.
    - Mario

Questions?

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

You have a drawing for some other SAFC mount? or a molded frame? I want more info. any pics?

Most recent update 8/30/2013

"You'll never make it"

"Nonsense, you only say never because no one ever has."

I had done schematic drawings for a multi-use framework that would house an SAFC and 2 52mm gauges or an SAFC and 2 double stacked digital gauges (like a timer or such).
    It would also act to relocate the sunroof controls to fit into the bottom.

Issue is that I now have to redraw it. The machine shop I contracted to make it has completely flaked out and say they "lost" my schematic.

I'll do it this week if you'd like. Just need to get the AutoCad fired up and re-take all my measurements.
    - Mario

Questions?

good idea ..

Thread Information