CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Future of Engine Swaps

I was thinking this over today and thought that it would be a cool discussion to post up. I'm getting a little concerned about the future of engine swaps. It seems like Toyota hasn't been building ANYTHING high-performance in the last few years. I love our Celicas, but they're coming up on 10 years old for the newest '99 model now. 2nd gen 3SGTE engines are minimum 15-16 years old...

I've been looking at the newer models trying to think of what the next batch of engine swapping is going to be. The 7th gen Celica is already out of production and hasn't gotten a whole lot of love. Of course the 2ZZ is a common swap but that engine never really took real well. 3SGTE into a 7th gen is something I'd like to do some more of, but still, the 3S is getting older. I guess the tC is the next platform to look at, but what to swap into it??? There's practically nothing out there for decent Toyota engines, the 2AZ only makes 160hp. I've sort of been looking at the 300hp 2GR-FSE but it's scary... lots of modern electronics to work around, immobilizer, etc.

2ZZ in a Yaris might be interesting...

Discuss! :burn:

-Doc
    -Dr Tweak, Toyota engine swap wiring expert extraordinaire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would love to see that!!!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar
    burnyd has been to an annual Dragon Meet! burnyd has donated to the forums!

yah 2gr would be pretty cool but what all cars does that come in?

I was reading in car and driver about that motor in a 5speed 4 door camry goes 14.3.. I could only image with bolt ons in a celica for a stock swap how fast it would go.. assuming its good for a e15x bell housing.... but being that its so new Im assuming the wiring loom is going to be like wtf hard/
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vangls14
    just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

The 275 HP V6 in the Sienna would be a fun little motor to put in some RWD car if you can fit it. I'd actually kind of like to put something like that in a 1st gen... that or just break down and put an LS1 in it...
    Last edited by METDeath; 10-31-2008 at 02:29 AM.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I like the 2ZZ Yaris idea.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

There's a few 2GR engines out there but the one I'm thinking of is the 311hp version in the IS350.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tweak
    2ZZ in a Yaris might be interesting...
    How about a 2zz in a (future) iQ ???(likely impossible fit...heh)

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

2ZZ in a Yaris would be interesting.

3S-GTE in a 7th gen celica = FAIL. The engine is way too heavy. Not to mention the 2ZZ can make just as much power as the 3S-GTE. It's put down over 400whp on stock internals, just like the 3S. There's no reason to swap a 3S-GTE into that car.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

Ill send you my MR2, do what you can with it.
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Put a 1GR with the factory optional blower in a 165
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

let's eat lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner's Avatar
    lburner has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by vip09
    2ZZ in a Yaris would be interesting.

3S-GTE in a 7th gen celica = FAIL. The engine is way too heavy. Not to mention the 2ZZ can make just as much power as the 3S-GTE. It's put down over 400whp on stock internals, just like the 3S. There's no reason to swap a 3S-GTE into that car.
    its been done a number of times. two of them was in the turbo mag lastyear

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212745

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKGvwCZCs0

Member usp45 will become famous soon enough usp45's Avatar

I want a turbo'd, hybrid synergy drive, celica swap. the electric motor could give off boost torque, until the giant turbo spools.

im not really limited on swaps, as long as toyota makes trucks and suv's
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

2GR would make a good swap for a TC, especially since the Camry and Tc both share the 2AZ I'd think it'd be easier. 280HP Tc would be a blast. Shit, even the TRD supercharger only brings the 2AZ to 200HP.

And yeah 2GR-FSE would be interesting but direct injection is something completely new for toyota and I haven't the slightest clue about tuning.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey
    And yeah 2GR-FSE would be interesting but direct injection is something completely new for toyota and I haven't the slightest clue about tuning.
    Not quite, the 3S-FSE came out in 98. Rare and not available in the US, but not really new.

I wanna jam a 3UR-FE in something.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

hmm should be rwd
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Gotta a local guy doing the 3.5 Avalon swap into his 94 turbo MR2. He has a writeup started over on MR2OC with his progress. I thought he was crazy when he came in with this idea, but he is showing me that it can be done. He writes programs for the automotive market and has a great understanding of how the complex issues of todays technology works and how to get around them.

Somthing new from BLITZ!!! They have come out with a throttle controller that gets around most drive by wire systems. This will make swaps easier as well.

Here are Marc's links to his post on MR2OC. You have to be signed in to read them!

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=320129

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=322927
    Toyota_Todd
    Parts Pimp
    Fort Wayne, IN USA

1992 Toyota Celica GT-Four CS conv. "the project"
    2001 Avalon XLS "wifes car & the family truckster"
    1971 VenturaII 2dr Grandma's car "token domestic"

Lifetime Member hobbie2k is on a distinguished road hobbie2k's Avatar
    hobbie2k has donated to the forums!

Images

I like the 2zz Yaris idea. I've been pushing for a 2.5L 2 door Versa sport on the Nissan end. I think a 2GR AWD Matrix would be awesome (Matrix is my current fave Toyota), if a little nose-heavy.
    Team 'learn about other cars and you may learn more about yours' member 002
    2015 Skoda Octavia Wagon
    1996 Nissan Pulsar SSS

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

the tc would be awesome with any v6 but it would need lsd after that for sure.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

We carry the Quaife LSD for that tranny, and yeah, that would be nice.

-Doc

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

What about the 1MZFE into a T Chassis Celica, how fluent are we with that swap at this point? I can only think of 3 running swaps off the top of my head.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

We should be looking into V6 motors the most i think. They are current, and have a good stock output and reliablity.
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I know it's more common in MR2s... don't know if that'd be easier or harder to work on than an MR2T... because, those are a bitch.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Agreed^
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

I would also support a 2GR into a 1G celica... That would also involve a great amount of badassedness. Yeah, that's a word now.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Thread Information