CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Default System 10 8" speaker dimensions

I've never actually found the measurements for the 8" door woofers from a fifth-gen with System 10, so after pulling one I thought I'd post it up. These measurements are just for fitment purposes, so I've skipped the various internal dimensions in favour of ones that will dictate what can and cannot fit.

Might be an idea to add this post to the System 10 bulk info sticky in the tech archives.

Stock 8"/210mm woofer:
    -magnet width 80 mm
    -rear mount depth 75 mm
    -front mount depth 90 mm

I manged to fit a cheap 8" woofer in as a replacement. The depth was less of an issue than the size of the aftermarket speaker's magnet, which was much wider than the stock woofer's. As a result, the rain guard on the back of the speaker mount had to be cut. The other issue was that the magnet was so wide the edges of the hole in the door had to be slightly shaved to fit the speaker into place.

Aftermarket (max magnet size):
    -magnet width 100 mm
    -rear mount depth 85 mm
    -front mount depth 92 mm

As an aside, found another 8" woofer which appears to fit, the Focal CA1 210. It's a coaxial (with aluminum tweeter) from Focal's entry-line Access 1.
    http://www.focal-fr.com/catalogue-do...files/1222.pdf
    Last edited by Galcobar; 06-03-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

And found another 8" -- though this one would hurt. The 210 CA1 runs for $199 in Canada, but this Dragster set is a tad more at $750. It's also the shallowest 8" woofer of which I've ever heard at 1.5" inches. The DMZ 851 is the woofer by itself, but while it's listed on Dragster's website, damned if I can find anyone who carries it.

Dragster DSZ 852 components:
    diameter mid-bass 200 mm (8 inch)
    mounting depth midbass 40 mm (1-1/2 inch)
    voice coil of tweeter 38 mm (1-1/2 inch)
    power RMS 100 W
    max power 200 W
    impedance 4 Ohm
    frequency response 50-22k Hz
    sensitivity 92,5 dB 2.83V® 1 m
    crossover slope 12/12 dB/oct
    tweeter attenuation 0/-3/-6 dB

Edit: Focal 210 CA1 price, was able to get it for $199 from Audiolines, a custom car audio shop in Burnaby, B.C.
    Last edited by Galcobar; 11-01-2008 at 02:53 AM.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

I put in two Kicker SSMB8 Midbass Drivers. They are shallow mount, but as you mentioned before, the magnet diameter was the main issue, and resulted in me cutting the recess hole bigger to accommodate them.

They are rated at 175W RMS each, and are currently being driven to distortion at less than 80W RMS because the system 10 mounts and door panels do not provide sufficient isolation of the speaker's pressure waves.

I think I need to track down some acoustic deadening/pillows...

Check here for speaker baffles: www.madisound.com
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Images

After mounting Focal 210 CA1, I discovered that the end of the window track just barely catches the side of the magnet -- the speaker can go in with the window fully down or fully up, but interferes with the window moving.

Installing a spacer between the speaker and the mounting point was necessary to obtain clearance. Again, not so much an issue of the depth of the speaker being different from stock as it was an issue of the magnet's width. The spacer I used was seven millimetres and was just enough, but there's room in the door panel to mount the speaker out a millimetre or so more before it touches the outer panel/grill.
    Last edited by Galcobar; 04-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Hmm... would these fit without modification?

Manual for the dimensions on page 3
    Last edited by acidice333; 10-08-2008 at 09:48 AM.

They should^^^
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

but...they are Earthquakes and they havnt been good in about 15yrs...if you going to get something for the money it could be better than that...

Jax : Most of the guys here aren't quite as heavy into the audio scene as we tend to be. Many are also much younger than we are, and money is tight.

I always just put it out there that if they want detailed advice or have specific questions, they are free to ask. It is nice to have another audiophile to keep me company here though.

-Mario
    - Mario

Questions?

haha...its a hobby of mine...I havnt ever really built a good system but I have been hooked on the gear itself for years....I have owned tons of stuff...just never kept a car long enough to get a great install done....

its really a big difference in the equipment now and in the past....people just dont know...

glad to see I am not the only audio freak

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

I just want something to fit without modifications and to replace the blown stocks... now if I really wanted something then I'd have to modify it, but I wanna keep it as stock as possible (:

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gentlejax
    haha...its a hobby of mine...I havnt ever really built a good system but I have been hooked on the gear itself for years....I have owned tons of stuff...just never kept a car long enough to get a great install done....

its really a big difference in the equipment now and in the past....people just dont know...

glad to see I am not the only audio freak
    LOL I have been collecting Old School fosgate for a few years now Missing a Power 1000 Mosfet and a Power 650 Bipolar to make my collection complete.

I have
    Punch 30
    Punch 45, Punch 45HD
    Punch 75, Punch 75HD
    2 x Punch 150 (model before the flat front label section associated with the HD series)
    2 x Punch 150, 1 Punch 150HD
    1 Power 100
    1 Power 300
    1 Power 650
    1 Power 360 (Bipolar Rarity)
    1 Punch 40, 1 Punch 100 (81-82 year models with slider EQs)
    1 Punch 45 25 to life (limited edition)
    2 Punch 75 25 to life (limited edition)
    1 Punch 150 25 to life (limited edition)
    1 Power 1000 25 to life (limited edition)

I also have a few other amps to include Fosgate but I don't consider them collection items.
    BM Dubyou

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!

^^ Forgot to mention, DiG is an audio nut too!
    - Mario

Questions?

anyone have any feedback on the JL 8W0's on how they fit and perform one member on alltrac.net says he is using them but required "some" modification to fit.

If there going to be a pain what will fit that will handle 300watt@2ohm or 200watt@4ohm

Would you really want to push that much power to something that's sitting in the door though? Seems like it would make a lot of unwanted rattle in there.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlife25
    Jax : Most of the guys here aren't quite as heavy into the audio scene as we tend to be. Many are also much younger than we are, and money is tight.

I always just put it out there that if they want detailed advice or have specific questions, they are free to ask. It is nice to have another audiophile to keep me company here though.
    -Mario
    Ok, I will take you up on your offer for advice...

I want to replace all of my system 10 speakers. I don't need a kick ass system just something that sounds good when some good old 80's rock comes on and I want to crank it up.

I was thinking about the Infinity Reference or Kappa's but I'm not having any luck finding anything for the 8" midbass drivers in the door, I have tried to order some kickers ssmb8 but no one seems to have them in stock and I saw some shallow mount pioneers but they were out of stock too.

What would you recommend? Oh and what tweeters would you recommend too?

93 Black AllTrac
    81 Black/Blue Celica
    2007 Silver Tacoma Sport

Good luck with the SSMB8s, they went out of production about two years ago. I went through four vendors before I got a pair. Kicker makes a CompVT 8" that's a shallow mount that will work (1mm to deep to mount without a spacer or cutting), but is an honest to god sub woofer. I'd recommend searching different speaker manufacturers websites and getting mount depths from them all.

Some people make an adapter plate and put 6.5" speakers in there though. Which may be the route you want to go. Or you could always track down a fresh set of door speakers from Toyota, and then go after market for the rest, since they're common sizes.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

I'm debating how I should redo my System 10 as well.

I'm thinking that I might just ditch the 8's in the doors and go with the conventional 6.5" and make an adapter ring for it. Probably end up ditching the 4" (or whatever sizes they are) that are on the dash as well. So much for having nice System 10 panels, huh?

OT, 93cc, the chick in your avatar has some pretty nice tits. Moar pics!

Quote Originally Posted by 93cc
    Ok, I will take you up on your offer for advice...

I want to replace all of my system 10 speakers. I don't need a kick ass system just something that sounds good when some good old 80's rock comes on and I want to crank it up.

I was thinking about the Infinity Reference or Kappa's but I'm not having any luck finding anything for the 8" midbass drivers in the door, I have tried to order some kickers ssmb8 but no one seems to have them in stock and I saw some shallow mount pioneers but they were out of stock too.

What would you recommend? Oh and what tweeters would you recommend too?
    There are a whole lot of options for the 8" midbass. As for tweeters, if you don't mind a little modification, some of the best tweeters I've found so far are the Seas Neo tweets. Not a bank-breaker and definitely perform.
    - Mario

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath
    Kicker makes a CompVT 8" that's a shallow mount that will work (1mm to deep to mount without a spacer or cutting), but is an honest to god sub woofer.
    figured i'd add:
    The Kicker COMPVT 8" is not an option, due to the fact it cannot be used in a free air setup. the only speaker in the COMPVT line that is free air compatible is the 6.5".

I was ready to buy a set last week, but luckily i noticed that fact at the last minute. looks like i might end up running the 6.5"

anybody else running a true sub in the door?
    YARRR!

'92 GT - Auto, Second OwnerSOLD
    !
    '93 GT - S54 Trans, Megan Racing 2" coils, SOLD
    !

^ did not really notice that... most Kicker subs that I've run into are free air capable... well, you could always use a baffle... that'd help a bit.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

As long as you have the door baffles (plates that seal the door) it creates the right size box for a shallow Kicker CompVT sub. Each door is basically a ported box, so I don't see why this sub wouldn't work. I've seen plenty of these used in free air situations with a ported box behind pickup seats. This is probably the best option available for anyone needing to upgrade System 10. I just wonder about the amount of travel in the sub vs. the speaker cover and whether they might hit when your amp is turned up.

If Galcobar's measurements are correct on on the 8" subs.

KICKER 08-CVT8-4 CAR 8 INCH SHALLOW MOUNT & KICKER 08CVT65 CAR 6.5 INCH SHALLOW Mount DO NOT FIT[COLOR=Red]

I'm going with the 6.5" , better safe than sorry. (I'm sorry)

Also, the System 10 rear panel speakers are 6.5" I confirm another member's fact...CRUTCHFIELD IS WRONG!!
    Last edited by 93celigts; 03-17-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: updating info

Images

Found two more possible candidates for the 8" drivers. Both mid-bass, from Ground Zero (never heard of the company before so no idea what the quality is like).

http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/04_cw84f.htm
    http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/english/04_cw84.htm

The F is the shallow-mount version, 2.87" versus 3.5". For some reason, I cannot find specifications on the standard-depth version's frequency response. Best I can do is
    http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/13_download/gzcw.pdf
    http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/13_...anual_gzcw.pdf

Remember too fellas that the maximum depth measurement takes into account the stock basket. (Black abs piece)
    If you use a spacer ring, you gain that much, BUT, you need to make sure that the max travel(xmax) of the driver will not slap on the inside of the panel/grille area.
    - Mario

Questions?

Thread Information