CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech

View Poll Results: Was this helpful, and easy to follow?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 97.96%
  • No

1 2.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

So in the interest of progress, would you guys be willing to take a photo of your setups next month? I'll do the same and post mileage as well to give us a basic average.

The numbers wou ld be better with more people to do this, but :shrug:
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I think people are saying "no" to screw with you, Mario...

Are you trying to get GTE numbers only? If not, I actually have to get an emissions test next week, so I've got to take my straight breather out anyway.

Of course with my blow-by issues I may screw up the average...

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Nah, I'd like numbers/pics from anyone running this mod. It is honestly fairly universal, I just used the 3S-GTE as an example since it's what I own.
    - Mario

Questions?

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

All right, I'll try and get the hardware store this weekend. This'll save me some $7 a quart oil anyway.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Images

I have to go slightly off topic and tell a story...

I woke up early today (for the first time in like two years, I might add) so I decided to stop at Ace before work. They didn't carry any compressor filters. I chastized myself for not just going to Home Depot in the first place, and headed that way. After wandering around for a few minutes, I found the air tools section, but all of the filters were huge. I eventually noticed an empty peg, with a sticker that read "please ask a team member about purchasing this item." The tag itself said "1/4 NPT Filter." Shit! That's it! I found an employee, only to be told that it was on order and expected in next week. Damnit.
    I had to make a bank run for my store later, and stopped by the local small-town hardware store, Myer Hardware, on the off chance that they'd have one. I looked up the shelf, and the glass portion of one caught my eye. That's it! I thought. Until I saw the top. It turned out to be an off brand imitation, which in itself didn't matter, but it had a pressure guage built in the top. Too bulky, completely unneccesary.
    After work, with all the hardware stores closed, I decided to take one last shot in the dark and hit up the 24 hour Wal-Mart. No dice. I did, however, end up wandering by the discount DVD section. I spent $110 on movies.

And I blame you Mario!!!

So yeah, I tried. Guess I'll have to hit up the other Home Depot's around here in a couple of days...

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

should of spent that money at our walmart lol so i can get a better bonus......
    Team late night tuners

- Mario

Questions?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenn
    should of spent that money at our walmart lol so i can get a better bonus......
    Dude, it'd cost me that much in gas to get down there!

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

Images

Finally got 'er, had to go to a Home Depot like 8 miles away...

Installed 8/19/08.

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

BEAUTIFULLY DONE ! That is a super clean install and a great example.

Thank You

-Mario
    - Mario

Questions?

dude how the hell did you get the vinyl tubbing from collapsing cuz all the tube i use fucking sucks into its self......
    Team late night tuners

Images

Thank you Mario!

Glenn, I've never had that problem. It's actually silicone tubing, from a Spectre brand hose kit. It's fairly inexpensive, and Spectre is generally considered one of the low end brands, but it has worked out great so far.

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

wow... i used the blue stuff and the hose wil collaspe into its self when i start the car...
    Team late night tuners

glenn, dont use such tubes on the engine. you can use it maybe for the windshield water supply
    go to any car parts store or whatever and get a pressure tube that is hard enough not to collapse.
    Mario, can you post up a picture with the oil collected?
    I use Cusco catch can, i have no idea if its just a can or it has some filter element inside. anyway i think this is a bit better design just because it has less space for the vacuum to gather - faster engine response for health operations

I plan on taking another picture to monitor oil collection before the 10th of this month.
    I'd do it today, but for the sake of data collection purposes and the afore-mentioned once a month checks, I'm gonna stick to the schedule.

I can tell you however, that my engine is running very well, and there is not much oil collected thus far. Throttle response remains as stock. My vacuum readings actually improved after doing this, but I believe that is due to the original hose being old and somewhat brittle from the heat of the engine bay, so...:shrug: Of note: I did replace a few other older lines at the same time, they were not included in the write-up.

-Mario
    - Mario

Questions?

To Briinums Bo:

The catch cans like yours use (basically) a bunch of steel scrub material at the bottom. Others of that type use no filter material at all. I suppose it's not much of a difference as long as it separates the oil, right?

Personally I like the fact that with this, everything remains looking as stock, and does not attract attention. Some folks like to have shiny things with lots of stickers. Not bad either way, simply a matter of preference.

-Mario
    - Mario

Questions?

Photos for the month of September will be posted on Wednesday.

Mileage will be included as well as oil consumption. (oil added as per regular care)
    - Mario

Questions?

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

From what I've been reading on MR2OC, the stock vent tube is 14mm internal diameter. Using smaller diameter hose and fittings on the catch can is possible to cause crankcase pressure buildup.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Update Pic:

As you can see, not much collected. Only about a 1/4" at the bottom with a small amount in the filter material itself. I'm happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0631.jpg‎  
    Last edited by Shadowlife25; 09-12-2008 at 12:06 AM.
    - Mario

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by vip09
    From what I've been reading on MR2OC, the stock vent tube is 14mm internal diameter. Using smaller diameter hose and fittings on the catch can is possible to cause crankcase pressure buildup.
    Link please ?
    - Mario

Questions?

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I'll find it later tonight. Some had issues with their turbo seals going out from the small fittings used on the eBay catch cans. Oil dipstick was coming out and the car would start smoking after a while.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Not really sure that I buy that. The PCV system is low pressure and it's sole purpose is to vent back into the intake, so it shouldn't affect the turbo at all unless there is some other underlying issue. The turbo doesn't use the recirculated oil to lube the seals. It has it's own oiling system so...:shrug:
    Realistically the 1.5mm difference in the internal diameter of the tubing shouldn't matter. If people can run block-off plates on their pcv with no issues, I think it's safe to call bs.
    If turbo'ed Subie guys are running this same setup reliably on their cars for over a year at boost levels that a stock CT will never see(18-22psi), I think we're good to go.
    - Mario

Questions?

Images

Oops, I'm a day late... Oh well.

Huh, not as bad as I thought.

Well, it is at an angle, I should turn it. Uh-oh...

Oh dear god!

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

Thanks for the follow-up Crisco.

I'd like to again encourage anyone else that has done this to please post pics of your setup.

-Mario
    - Mario

Questions?

Good write up. I might be doing mine next weekend.

Religion has many gods. For this tribe, this is their God.
    **New and improved wavy effect!!

Thread Information