CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech

View Poll Results: Was this helpful, and easy to follow?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 97.96%
  • No

1 2.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Shadow's How-To Series: DIY Oil Catch

I would like to say that I did not come up with this idea. Member WRXrex from clubwrx.com did.

I am merely doing a how-to that is specific to the Celica and the 3S-GTE engine in particular. All photos provided here are my own.

The purpose of this write-up is to modify and install an oil catch for your 3S-GTE for less than $25. Sounds good right?

Lets begin:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reciept.jpg‎   filter1.jpg‎   step 1.jpg‎   step 2.jpg‎   step 3.jpg‎  

Last edited by Shadowlife25; 07-23-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Continued:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails step 4.jpg‎   step 4 pt.2.jpg‎   step 5.jpg‎   filter material.jpg‎   filter material 2.jpg‎  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter cup measurement.jpg‎   step 6.jpg‎   step 7.jpg‎   step 8.jpg‎   step 9.jpg‎  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails step 10.jpg‎   step 11.jpg‎   step 12 pt.1.jpg‎   step 12 pt.2.jpg‎   step 12 pt.3.jpg‎  

Part 2 of the guide will consist of physical placement in the engine bay of your Celica as well as overall integration, so Stay Tuned!

Now for Part 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Part 2 section 1.jpg‎   Part 2 Section 2.jpg‎   Part 2 Section 3.jpg‎  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Part 2 Section 4.jpg‎   Part 2 Section 4.1.jpg‎   Part 2 Section 4.2.jpg‎  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Part 2 Section 5.jpg‎   Part 2 Section 5.1.jpg‎   Part 2 Section 5.2.jpg‎   Part 2 Section 6.jpg‎   Final View - Engine Bay.jpg‎  

I hope that you find this useful.

Please don't forget to vote on the Poll. Leave Rep if you so choose

FYI :

I will be doing updates on the filter's performance once a month. Pictures will be included.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Very nice, Mario! I recently added a 90 degree fitting to my breather filter so it points up instead of straight out, and so far it has eliminated the soaking of the filter. I'll definitely be doing this if that solution ever fails, though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Glad you like it.

The best part of this, is that it is completely reversible.
    The $25 total cost makes it pretty appealing too, I think.

If there are any questions at all, I am more than happy to help!

-Mario

let's eat lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner's Avatar
    lburner has donated to the forums!

nice work man...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 views and only 3 votes? C'mon fellas...

Junior Member Crasoum is on a distinguished road Crasoum's Avatar

Not to be dense, but because I'm clueless I'm going to ask what's the benefit.

I assume (and this is purely me assuming without doing any research) this is to keep oil out of the air so the engine runs more efficiently or something of that nature. But an explanation as to why this is useful would help -lazy- noobs like I.

It's function is to separate oil from your intake tract, which then ends up on your turbine wheel, and then to your intercooler. Once you get this film of oil in your intercooler, it reduces it's efficiency and makes it heat-soak more quickly. Never good in my book. Additionally it is a good indicator of how much blow-by you are getting past your rings. If you are collecting oil quickly, it's an indicator of other issues. (might be rebuild time soon)

Hope this answers your question.

Moved thread to FI forum.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Nice job.
    I'll add this to the stickies (unless someone else wants to do it!) as soon as im done being lazy.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

so i just did this little mod i would have to say its friggin easy and was under 20 bucks for me and also how long till i really see any oil build up
    Team late night tuners

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenn
    so i just did this little mod i would have to say its friggin easy and was under 20 bucks for me and also how long till i really see any oil build up
    That's determined by the condition of the engine. This mod has two purposes; one is to stop oil from gunking up anything in the intake stream, the other is to detect a serious red flag - excessive blow-by. So hopefully you won't see much build up for a long time.

For instance, slap this on my coupe(220,000 miles, mostly neglected until I picked it up at 210k) and it would fill up within about three or four weeks, which means the piston rings aren't in the best shape. Install it on a healthy motor and it shouldn't fill more then around 1/4 of the way between oil changes.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

^^ If even that.

I did my check-up today, and there is only a very light film of oil on the inside of the cup.
    No real build-up to speak of.
    I also checked the feed line going to the inlet port of the filter, and it also has a light film, but no drips.

Verdict for month 1 = Clean Bill of Health.

Images

Yeah, I originally said a trace amount, but I'd personally consider up to a 1/4 of that little bottle acceptable after 3,000 miles. I knew I should've stuck with it.

You guys and your fancy PCV valves...

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

It may well be acceptable. Remember that this a small container.

I still want to know who said "NO" on the poll.......

You'd have to be severely challenged to not be able to follow my instructions.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

I've been running the same thing on my 240 for over a year now. It does the job very well. I used a steel scrubber though. Not steel wool. It shreds and leaves a fine metal powder.

My only gripe is that it's a small catch tube, fits well but I end up emptying it every 2 months or so. depending on how much I drive.

Very good write up too!

well i noticed a little film of oil on the cup today so it seems to do the job well and yeah who ever posted no was retarded and i wonder how they even could click the no those instructions were simple and well i'm just using some vacuum filter and its doing well
    Team late night tuners

Thread Information