CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 1990 celica st turbo

Alright, ive thought about it and thought about . I think i want to to turbo it. What and all do I need? I just want to run probably around jist 7 or 8 psi max. And is itpossible to get about 170hp on stock internals andlow boost?

i was in the same boat for a long time when i had my ST celica (4afe) after reading and reading and reading some more, i found out the stock internails are not stong at all. There is also a lot of ppl that say the late 93 4afe beefed up the interinals to early 4age interinals but those are still weak, stonger but weak. to be honest there is no way to get 170 hp on a 4afe w/o spending a crap ton of money. if you wanna however still turbo it i would use a 4agze bottom end (block with all the interinals) with a 4afe head and aftermarket ecu of some kind. but the best option would be just to swap in a 3sgte if u are stuck on the turbo idea, it is best bang for buck.
    R.I.P Cherry Bomb (1990 Celica ST)

They call me Hadoken because im DOWN RIGHT FIERCE
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, i looked online and priced gze pistons and rods anda full turbo kit for around 1400 dollars. Or could i do a 4age swap cheaper?

Well, i looked online and priced gze pistons and rods anda full turbo kit for around 1400 dollars. Or could i do a 4age swap cheaper?
    to honest a redtop 4age swap to me wouldnt be worth it bc you would only gain a few HP and 1k rpms b4 the motor hits redline, you could do a 4age silvertop swap for around that price if you do the work your self. and get the same amount of HP that your tying to get from the turbo 4afe setup. The silvertop also has a redline of around 8k rpms. or u could do a 4agze swap and get around 150 HP with a lot more tourqe in the lower rpm range you would loose the high redline that the silvertop gives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How hard is it to do the swap?

How hard is it to do the swap?
    depends on ur lvl of skill and what motor you put into the car. if you put in another toyota "A" series motor you would basically need to wire up the car. If you put in a toyota "S" series engine you would have to change the motor mount location on the pass. side of the car, get a new transmission, get new half-shafts and also do some wiring.

So a silver top swap is just straight bolt in other than wiring?

So a silver top swap is just straight bolt in other than wiring?
    the only other thing i can think of would be that the pass. side mount would have to come off of the 4afe and put onto the silvertop so that side mount can fit into the motor mounting bracket. i say that BC thats what has to be done to fit in the 4agze.

Oh so you dont have to fab anything?

Oh so you dont have to fab anything?
    shouldnt have to

Ok, whats the best 4age?mainly price wise and reliability.

Ok, whats the best 4age?mainly price wise and reliability.
    the best one for power is the blacktop, but its not cheap and it has its quirks. For the price the best one would be the silvertop.

Ok, so what do i need to make sure the engine comes with when i buy it? Ecu?

Its cheaper to buy another 5th gen with the 2.2 motor and swap it to the 3sgte
    Custom Intake
    Universal Muffler
    Hawk HP Brake Pads
    2002 MR2 Spyder Wheels
    Lowered By Zenn Springs 1.8" dropped

Ok, so what do i need to make sure the engine comes with when i buy it? Ecu?
    engine, harness, ecu. ake sure to get as much of the extra engine stuff you can such alternator, distrupter, etc, BC those will be a bitch to find in the states BC we never got the silvertop

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mar_phi6 View Post
    Its cheaper to buy another 5th gen with the 2.2 motor and swap it to the 3sgte
    Eh, you could probably find a front clip with a 4age/everything you need for less.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

Ok, well im getting a 4 age out of 89 mr2. Itsnt that the.blue top or red top? And is the swap the same as the silver top?

Yeah the swap is the same, iirc its the bluetop, and the later 4age bluetop motors have bigger valves

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

This may sound a bit rude but if cost is a consideration, why not just search for a gt or gts used. It has the better engine and down the road you will have a lot less headaches with it. Buying a gt may cost you less than any of the swaps, you just need to look for a good deal.

The St is a very ballanced ride as it is and with light suspension mods will eat a lot of cars for much more money in the curves. It is an economical well built sporty car as it is built. Minor engine mods have their falts and most of the time cost you power in long run. Trust me, I spent a lot of time and money on my st and when it sold it was the best it could have been and it had stock style exhaust, stock intake, mostly stock suspension (but H&R springs). Car ran great, was quick and really dependable.

Mods that I waisted money on;
    Header-caused a loss at low and high end power
    Intake- sounded cool but loss of power at top end
    Exhaust- loss of power at low end
    Cat delete- loss of power at low end

Mods that helped performance;
    K&N drop in filter
    Big 3 power and ground wire upgrade (stabilized voltage to the ecu)
    Fresh NGK plugs
    Fresh Oem plug wires and cap (stick with Oem)
    Fresh oil (I had good luck with royal purple but will no longer use it after finding German castrol) only with Oem filter
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
    BM Dubyou

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!

ok, well im getting a 1987 bigport with smallport intake. it doesn't come with wiring harness or ecu. how hard is it gonna be to swap it into my 4afe? or is there a website that does conversions?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Doowstados will become famous soon enough Doowstados will become famous soon enough

Images

If you're not looking to really get much more power out of it I'd agree with David. Sell it and find a GT or GT-S, or keep the 4AFE and upgrade your suspension.
    - Dustin J.

1991 Toyota Celica GT

like i alrdy said the most you will get is a longer redline and only by 1000 rpms which can be a lot only if the power is increased as well the thing about the the 4age is it has no low end power, but on the plus side the 4age has a crap ton of aftermarket suport. dr tweak will make a wireharness for your swap al u have to do is send him the 4age harness and the 4afe harness. but find out what the motor came out off and get the ecu and harness for that car

Thread Information