CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Wiring Harness Swap Question

I'm nearing a critical part in my swap, the wiring. I believe I've searched the hell out of the process of doing it, but I don't feel like I follow why the body harness needs to be messed with at all. Or is that only something you worry about when sending it into Tweak or someone? And one last question, would a USDM alltrac harness be plug and play if it it the same year as the car and ECU? My apologies for the bombardment of questions.

You should come over this weekend at some point and we can try to do a little research on this, just because I have to figure out the wiring for the Vert's 5SFTE swap and I will be running into the same question.

If you havn't seen this thread, check it out. It isn't a sticky for some reason so you might have missed it.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...crets-REVEALED!

As far as I can tell, there are a lot of connections that jump from the engine harness to the body harness (I think chargring and starting, etc... ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

What is your old engine and year, and what is the new engine? Typically you just have to deal with the engine control harness.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 ST205 WRC

1990 5sfe will be getting taken out and replaced with a 1990 3sgte.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I would personally do it this way. Take the 3sgte harness apart, move the wires such that the part that goes through the firewall is on the other side. Most of the wires on the harness are actually long enough to reach just fine. Then re wrap the harness and install. The body harness comes into play because the 3rd plug on the ecu comes from the interior and not the engine harness. So just compare the pinout diagrams for both ecu's and switch around any that are necessary. I think it's only a couple wires. Everything else will pretty much plug right in.

So that's how I'd do it. Your swap is one of the most straight forward so don't be afraid. There are people here who have done it and can help you along the way!

Any questions, just ask.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

save ur self some time and buy a pin out tool for the harness. i drilled a hole on driver side and ran it thro to pass w no problems. it also helps to print out both diagrams and cross reference n document what ur doing..

or hit up dr tweak for a harness patch

its my sleeper....

Thanks for the feedback. I just bought a harness today, so I'm going to see what all I have to do once I get it.

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

seriously to make that run its super easy.
    12v all the time
    switched 12v
    tach
    warning light
    starter
    speedo
    fuel pump

Heres how I wire things up
    hook up the 12v stuff
    hook up the warning light
    turn the key to on and make sure the w light comes on, if this light comes on the ecu is happy and turned on
    then hook up the little things, tach, spd, ac if you want it. etc.

Honestly the car will run with just the 12v applied and the fuel pump jumped

Before you crank it though take a multimeter and make sure the injectors have 12v and the ignitor and coil have 12v (black and orange wire) when the key is on. If you must jump the fuel pump and fire it up.

I always prime the turbo before hand by pulling the coil plug and holding the starter until you see the oil pressure light turn off, this makes sure the turbo got a little oil in it to keep the bearings happy also it helps the engine from starting up dry.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

I received my harness. Its all there aside from a few unmentioned chewed up plugs and two cut wires around the alternator plug...Wasn't exactly thrilled but what can I really do now? Everything else seems to be there. I have went through and started labeling what each individual plug is. I have 3 or 4 I wasn't able to identify. I gotta put in some time researching for those, so we aren't playing the "guess which plug this is" game. Also, thank you andy. having a general list of things that need done, as opposed to staring at a bundle of wires and saying, "Well shit."

Thread Information