CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

what kind of exhaust are you talking about for a "mild build"? in my case, i have a 5sfe in the st184 celica gt... as many Non-all trac/GT4 owners know, it's really hard to find any aftermarket parts for the celica st/gt/gt-s. therefore, i was curious what you ment by that...as in a custom built exhaust system or is there an aftermarket one you know of?

-also (sorry if it's a stupid question...but i've gotten mixed answers and just need this straightened out) since the celica gt has virtually the same chassis as the all trac...will an aftermarket exhaust system compatible for the all trac bolt onto a gt?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_JDM
    what kind of exhaust are you talking about for a "mild build"? in my case, i have a 5sfe in the st184 celica gt... as many Non-all trac/GT4 owners know, it's really hard to find any aftermarket parts for the celica st/gt/gt-s. therefore, i was curious what you ment by that...as in a custom built exhaust system or is there an aftermarket one you know of?
    Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with Celica aftermarket exhausts. It's the size of the pipes that matters most though. Next would be the smoothness because a crimped pipe acts smaller and so does a restrictive muffler or cat. Length is kind of set by how long your car is but if you want to play with that it will probably have to be by trial and error.

-also (sorry if it's a stupid question...but i've gotten mixed answers and just need this straightened out) since the celica gt has virtually the same chassis as the all trac...will an aftermarket exhaust system compatible for the all trac bolt onto a gt?
    I doubt it would be bolt on but I bet it could be made to fit. Maybe someone who has done it will chime in.

It won't work as the routing that each systems piping takes is vastly different. (angles...)
    If you are going to spend a few bills, custom may be the route for you. Find a manifold catalytic converter and muffler of your choice and have a local shop put it together for you.
    I only suggest this as it may actually be cheaper than picking up a specific kit simply to tear it apart and have it put back together.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

yeah i was thinking that custom is the best route. thanks for the information, i appreciate it. thanks to you guys, i now have the answer i was seeking!

Mr.Turrari, we miss you! Come back....
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlife25
    It won't work as the routing that each systems piping takes is vastly different. (angles...)
    If you are going to spend a few bills, custom may be the route for you. Find a manifold catalytic converter and muffler of your choice and have a local shop put it together for you.
    I only suggest this as it may actually be cheaper than picking up a specific kit simply to tear it apart and have it put back together.
    im goin custom for mine.. 2.5 from the header back

i cant find 5sfe cams anywhere but on ebay they have 3sge and gte cams for $99

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar
    burnyd has been to an annual Dragon Meet! burnyd has donated to the forums!

^^ I think crane makes Cams for 5sfe, 3sge cams will not work on a 5s head ... if you look at the Ge/GTE heads and a 5sfe head youll realize right away the difference since its a slave cam design.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

Originally Posted by vangls14
    just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

what is a good cheap header and where do i find one

thanxx for that turari , now i know a little more of what to do if im goin to get some power for my car.

Just out of curiousity, are there any 3sge heads that can be fitted to a rev. 1 5s. Gonna have to pull the head soon for a bad valve stem seal, and was going to be replacing some other stuff while I was in there being as shes at 230k and never had the head off.

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Short answer. Yes. 86-89 3sge

There is a thread on how exactally to do it. i cant find it at the moment

EDIT:

Heres one:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...highlight=5sge

Heres the other:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...highlight=5sge

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

What about stock manifold as we can't run headers is there any difference from one stock one to the next

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

There are two factory 'headers' that fit the 5SFE, the Rev 1 3SGE header off of a 4th Gen Celica GT-S and the `97?-`99? Camry with a 5SFE.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Tahts cool seems the camry header would be easier to locate but is ther a performance gain in the earlier one to warrant a harder search?

hey mrTurrari, ur pm box is full. any chance u have a list of the parts you are using or planning to use. my first step is to source and buy all the parts, before i take out my engine and rebuilt it. i plan on replacing everything i can replace with better stuff.
    Project: Code Red 92 GTS
    Team 3D: Dedication, Determination, And Desire

would a safc-2 work on my 90 celica because im not sure where the mafs is at or if i have one

I'm running a header on my 90 gt-s and noticed little to no difference in performance. It sounds faster tho...
    also running a K&N filter, and a glasspack muffler on stock piping w/ resonator. Its pretty quiet.

If ya want 5s power without turbo, I'd suggest the 3sge head. You can find them in a you pull it yard. You'll need at minimum the head, intake manifold, and throttle body, timing covers, the dizzy and possibly more too.

if you want the headache you can make the stock 5s ecu work, but you have to modify the throttle body, and the distributor and run a custom setup to activate the tvis system (or delete the tvis)

Or you can just take the entire 3s topend, w/ the timing covers, sensors, dizzy, wiring harness, ecu, maf, ect. and put it on the 5s block. basically like swaping in a 3sge without having to remove the block.

Probably your best option, may have to solder some wires but better than the ghetto method of using the 5s ecu and stuff. Oh also if you go the 5sge route the cam grinds will seem slightly more mellow than in the 3sge due to the extra displacement, and it will push the torque curve slightly lower in the rpm range than a 3s (maybe 200-400 rpms). needs more lift/ duration to have the same powerband.

when I rebuild my 5s I'm probably going this route w/ 272 cams, oversized valves, and a port and polish. then again I'm also crazy and don't give a rats ass about idle quality
    Last edited by Unarmed; 06-01-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Or you could always supercharge or use a 100 shot

supercharger is forced induction...just saying.

Yes I own 5(five) ST165's...it is problem...but I do not care

true enough, but its not a turbo. figured it was worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Unarmed View Post
    If ya want 5s power without turbo, I'd suggest the 3sge head.
    Sorry but this kind of post is the exact reason why I made this thread. Because people like to make the idea of swapping heads and rewiring the engine bay sound simple and inexpensive when it is nothing of the sort. These kind of things also do not buy you any performance by themselves. If you build a 5sge and actually want it to perform better then a 5sfe you need a whole 3sge swap and a whole bunch of custom mods. Whatever head you choose determines 95% of the other parts you must use. You need all the electronics, sensors, ECU, and everything that plugs into it. You also need rods and custom pistons. So the only parts you keep from your 5sfe will be the block and crank and in the case of a 5sge your flywheel and transmission. You can also use the 5s oil and water pumps but you should at least upgrade the oil pump unless you are starting with a rev2 or better yet use one from a 98+. If you cheap out and use the 5s rods you will likely have a rod failure down the road because of the bolts and if you use stock 5s pistons you will loose compression which will translate into less power not more and you will have an interference engine.

In my opinion it is far easier an more economical to build a 5sfe to perform like a 2.2 liter 3sge would. I mean you are going to have to replace all the parts with performance ones anyway so why not just use what you have? The hardest part is upgrading the intake manifold because you have to go custom. Just look at the performance build I list at the beginning of this thread and add in the "going to town" parts. I am building my second one of these now and doing it on a budget that is less then most 3sgte swaps. The first one I built is being turbo charged but it is very impressive even without the turbo.

Its not impressive. Not a all. Dont listen to him. Hes a 5SFE loving hippie.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Junior Member BonzaiCelica is on a distinguished road

get a 3rd gen 3sge which are dirt cheap. Or better yet buy a 3sge beams redtop. I have one myself and you will not be disappointed. Now finding a good quality used Helical LSD is going to be another thing. Get your hands on a quaife helical lsd. Brand new they cost around $1,100

Thread Information