CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I hate to say it but I'd have to say my favorite/most used tool would have to be zip-ties. After I messed up the front-end of my GT-Four and I was out of cash I zip-tied the bumper back on and used it to hold a number of things in place.

Other than that I'd say the most useful is my 10mm & deepwell sockets, 14mm socket (for pulling my seats when moving large items), a flathead and my 1/4" & 1/2" ratchets. I list them together for the simple fact that I end up using a combination of them to complete most jobs.

Trying To Learn Something New Each Day caneman is on a distinguished road caneman's Avatar
    caneman has donated to the forums!

Images

Wink Shortcomings...

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs
    i forgot about my extendable magnet and my small flat head. those are up on my list too.
    Never neglect your extendable magnet and it won't let you down when picking up chicks. As for your "small flat head," I suggest letting your hair grown long or wearing a hat. Then maybe no one will notice it.
    Welcome to the asylum. The inmates are in charge here.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trying To Learn Something New Each Day caneman is on a distinguished road caneman's Avatar
    caneman has donated to the forums!

Images

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by caneman
    Never neglect your expendable magnet and it won't let you down when picking up chicks. As for your "small flat head," I suggest letting your hair grown long or wearing a hat. Then maybe no one will notice it.
    I Get No Appreciation... I thought my post was very humorous.
    Welcome to the asylum. The inmates are in charge here.

^^ Good one! *Ziiiingaa !!!*

I would say my most useful tool is my mind.
    In all seriousness though, my most used tool is my Craftsman 3/8" flex-head ratchet.
    It has a 9" handle section and a flexible head section that can go from 90deg to 180deg. It belonged to my father and he gave it to me as my first tool.
    It is probably about 40 years old. You'd never know just looking at it though.
    My father took great care of it, and instilled that in me as well. Put your tools away as soon as you finish. Clean them and oil them if necessary. Care for them and they will provide a long life of consistent service.

That's my "favorite/most useful tool" story.

-Mario
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Craftsman 3/8" drive ratchet, Metric socket set (craftsman), and the bar for my hydraulic jack (makes a great breaker bar). Also flat head screwdrivers (for prying, chiseling, marking, separating, unscrewing).

I only use hand tools on my car, and truck.

my 10mm ratcheting wrench..followed closely by the 12mm and 14mm

My toolbox so I can find my other tools very fast.
    2006 Lotus Elise Type 111R
    No plans to move to the 'new era' of Lotus cars.
    "Adding horsepower makes you fast in the straights, adding lightness makes you fast everywhere." (Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus)

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

a friggin paperclip.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

i swear any job i do on my car involves every single tool i own.... if it doesn't i'm not working hard enough...

i went through most of the forum but i don't think anyone has mentioned it but i think my car jack is the most important and useful tool i own. and the other one is the trouble light.

good bright lights is the best!! and i've been recently been using a head lamp. its awesome.

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Difficult to pick any single "one" tool that serves me best - though there are a couple that I seem to always use - regardless of the job.

The first would be my brass drift - perfect for driving stubborn parts without damage.

Next on the list might not be really a "tool" at all - bt a combination. I have this really "old-timey" soldering iron - which is actually just something like a big screwdriver that has a big mass of metal on the end instead of a screwdriver tip. I use this, with "liquid wrench" or other penetrating oil, to loosen up bolts before I attempt to remove them. The way this works is that I'll heat up this iron with a torch till it glows red, and then I'll hold it against the bolt or nut to heat up the area, and finally apply the penetrating oil. In this way the penetrating oil will "boil in" to the threads and really do some good, without waiting for days. This is a good safe way to do this - as direct use of flames in cars might result in "explosions" - especially in small cars with gas lines and vent lines nearly everywhere. Even so - sometimes the penetrating oil might flame up - so I keep the air hose handy.

trouble lights and flashlights...as many as you can get

A condom, saved my tool from acids that may cause corrosion haha jk. I find myself using a 10mm ratchet wrench, combo wrench, and socket for all jobs I have done on my Toyota. I bet you my mr2 has over 60lbs in 10mm bolts and nuts :/
    ~Dustin

14" DC TRD O/R MGM Tacoma-Daily Driver
    85' Toyota MR2 N/A-out of commission forever
    88' Toyota MR2 N/A- 4age = D E A D. AE92GZE underway
    Your Girlfriend - I ride her on the weekends

^ LAWLZ SEX J0KE!

So, you see any land around here?

Agreeing with the pocket screwdriver people. They are indispensable for anything from dash work to rebuilding an engine. Absolutely worth their weight in gold. Of course, if they were made of gold, they wouldn't be very useful, what with gold being a rather soft metal...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I find it hard to choose just one tool, as I use so many of them for anything. I think that I'd have to say though it's new craftsman jack handle. That 3' handle that comes off makes a great breaker bar when added to my 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

ftw

Yes I own 5(five) ST165's...it is problem...but I do not care

Quote Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
    Helping me to see in bad lighting helps my other tools be more effective...so I say my headlamp with 2 LEDs for bright lighting and one red lamp:

the light tilts down too:

I use it for automotive, home theater,fishing at night, etc...where it keeps both your hands free but yet the light is right where you need it.
    its been over a year since i posted the above and I still feel this is one of the most useful tools. Car repair , home improvement, firearms related work, etc...
    2006 Lotus Elise Type 111R
    No plans to move to the 'new era' of Lotus cars.
    "Adding horsepower makes you fast in the straights, adding lightness makes you fast everywhere." (Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus)

Basic car part RnR: 3/8" socket wrench is what I use 90% of the time.
    Other stuff: I use my drill press for quite a few things.

PB Blaster, a home made pipe breaker bar and safety glasses because you always get crap in your eyes...
    1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
    BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
    2005 Scion tC FW21
    1985 AW11
    1987 AW11

4" angle grinder with a variety of flap disks, surfacers, cut off wheels, and even polishing disks. Rarely a day goes by I dont use it in some way.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

A BFH. There is a reason the drawer with all the different hammers, drifts and prybars is known as the Toyota drawer.

My old 18" long 3/8" drive breaker bar. Loved that thing to pieces... Literally. Was removing a stuck bolt when the head snapped and the handle chipped one of my teeth a bit.

Other than that? My Husky 3/8" drive fine-tooth ratchet. I've used that thing and a piece of pipe or a big hammer to break loose some very stubborn bolts.

Tied for first place, because for what I do, one without the other is useless: Jet HVBS-463 and Lincoln SP-125 Plus.
    NOTICE: As of 15 January 2013, I am no longer associated with Lithia Toyota of Springfield.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I bought a new snap-on 3/8" extremely fine tooth ratchet, its my new fav.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Thread Information