CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Single most useful tool you own?

I'm curious as to what the 'go to' tool is for you guys? You know, the one tool that you find yourself using on almost every job and that always gets the job done?

I'm in the middle of stripping down and 'refreshing' the engine out of my Celica, in a carpark, without access to electricity or air, and I know for a fact that I could not have got this thing to pieces without the big f*ck off breaker bar.

It has loosened everything from heat-seized exhaust bolts to hub nuts to engine mounts and everything in between. It has also, by dint of it's length protected my hands from the inevitable sharp objects and sudden impacts. Prior to its arrival I used pieces of pipe slipped over wrenches and ratchets and other unsuitable materials and everything suffered, the tool, the nut being loosened, the other tool at the end of the pipe, his hands etc.

I love my big f*ck off breaker bar and it is the most used and useful tool I own.

Yours?

Formerly itsoktosmokev8s Mr. Babb is on a distinguished road Mr. Babb's Avatar
    Mr. Babb has donated to the forums! Mr. Babb helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

I got a ryobi 18v cordless impact that I use all the time. it is the shiznit when it comes to doing small stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by itsoktosmokev8s
    I got a ryobi 18v cordless impact that I use all the time. it is the shiznit when it comes to doing small stuff
    I have one of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

I have to say my most useful tool I have is a rubber mallet. I call it my "best friend" when Im trying to break stuff loose.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

its a tie between my dewalt 1/2 cordless impact and my 1/4 rachet with 10mm deepwell socket. both are used on almost every toyota job.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

A pair of 8" long hemostats. They're priceless when you drop a nut or bolt into a deep crevasse.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

I have an extendable magnet for that.

This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Community forums like Celicatech.. they have 95% of my answers already

I'm always popping in from the garage to find out some info on the net

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

WEll where should i start? Ctech is a great tool, my air tools, my sockets and wrenches, power tools, cordless drill with driver, etc! I guess its only useful when you use them and they all see bench time!

She's sold
    !

Trying To Learn Something New Each Day caneman is on a distinguished road caneman's Avatar
    caneman has donated to the forums!

Images

My brain. I keep it sharp and shiny by trying to learn something new every day. The internet and my library provide me with external storage space, so important since my hair went gray...
    Welcome to the asylum. The inmates are in charge here.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by caneman
    My brain. I keep it sharp and shiny by trying to learn something new every day. The internet and my library provide me with external storage space, so important since my hair went gray...
    Psh, you don't need that!

My extendable magnet has got me out of many a jam.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Trying To Learn Something New Each Day caneman is on a distinguished road caneman's Avatar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CriScO
    Psh, you don't need that!
    My extendable magnet has got me out of many a jam.
    I try to keep magnets away from my memory storage devices.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by caneman
    He beat me to it.

2nd would be... my hands.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Get out smartass mofos.

This is the TOOL forum.

Obviously its a question aimed at TOOLS, like the kind of TOOLS you use to work on CARS with.

So OBVIOUSLY the OP means stuff you will find in your TOOL box. Starting to get a trend?

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Side cuts or 10 mill ratchet wrench
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luni
    Get out smartass mofos.

This is the TOOL forum.

Obviously its a question aimed at TOOLS, like the kind of TOOLS you use to work on CARS with.

So OBVIOUSLY the OP means stuff you will find in your TOOL box. Starting to get a trend?
    LOL, my favorite tool is Luni, or maybe my biggest tool. =)

I love my Snappy finetooth ratchet. Use it everyday.

Aside from that probably a basic crescent wrench.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Obviously things like ratchets etc. are high on the list, but honestly the tool I use the MOST is any kind of plier I can find. This is probably bad and I shouldn't be lazy and find the appropriate wrench or socket, but when I'm in a hurry and not scheduled to be working on the car, I'm more often than not just going to grab some pliers. Locking (such as vice grips) are highly used.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

i forgot about my extendable magnet and my small flat head. those are up on my list too.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Helping me to see in bad lighting helps my other tools be more effective...so I say my headlamp with 2 LEDs for bright lighting and one red lamp:

the light tilts down too:

I use it for automotive, home theater,fishing at night, etc...where it keeps both your hands free but yet the light is right where you need it.
    2006 Lotus Elise Type 111R
    No plans to move to the 'new era' of Lotus cars.
    "Adding horsepower makes you fast in the straights, adding lightness makes you fast everywhere." (Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luni
    Get out smartass mofos.
    This is the TOOL forum.
    Well, I don't know; I never work on my car without engaging my brain first. Are you saying that you don't use your brain while working on your MR2 (actually, that might help explain a few things)?

hmmm I would have to say my left hand. she usually does the job =)

haha but no probably a set of pliers?

The shop press my wife bought me... You may not use it for every job but you can press bearings on and off, or wheel studs or bushings and other major things. With one of these you can do the work that usually costs you big $$. A nice impact and an air rachet is pretty universal. The air rachet makes you fast! And that old inner strut tube that I use as a makeshift cheater bar.

The balls to tear into any fix or rebuild is the most important tool... If you don't try you'll never learn! Most stuff is pretty simple after you figure it out the hard way.

Some interesting responses there, thank you people.

Sounds like the impact driver is a popular choice, I shall have to investigate getting one. I may also look into the availability locally of a brain, although I'm not really sure how to use one. Hopefully I can pick it up as I go along.

seriously my stinger flashlight i got a piggy back charger with a back up battery costed a good $120 but a visual inspection is the most important part in trouble shooting other than that trusty 4 pound harbor freight hammer and a big pry bar

Images

Wink If I only had a ....

Quote Originally Posted by Timmah
    Some interesting responses there, thank you people.

Sounds like the impact driver is a popular choice, I shall have to investigate getting one. I may also look into the availability locally of a brain, although I'm not really sure how to use one. Hopefully I can pick it up as I go along.
    I'm not sure that he has a web site, but check into seeing the Wizard, he lives in the Emerald City in the Land of Oz. Tell'm the Scarecrow sent you...

Thread Information