CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default short throw shifter Q's

I searched through other threads and couldnt find what i was looking for so here goes. Anybody running an ebay short shifter? Hows the length difference at the top, compared to stock? Are your throws significantly reduced? (btw: i know i shouldnt be expecting much from ebay, so please dont come in this thread and tell me i should have bought from somebody else) Thanks alot

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

I just cut mine down about 1" above the upper bend in the stock shifter. You have to get an aftermarket knob though unless you thread it. I know its rigged, but it works good and it's cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

not what I was asking, but ill keep this in mind if this shifter breaks or something. nice car btw vogtland springs FTW!

keep the answers coming guys

Member Frenchy is on a distinguished road

Mine was longer at top....

(is THAT what you are looking for?)

Cut it and weld it, before you install, though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT Red & Black 6 Speed Manual V8 287ci (many, many mods)

1992 Toyota Celica GT Coupe Red & Black 5 Speed Manual 5SFE (soon to be many mods)

actually yes it was lol. How much did you chop off? Did you just cut off the threads, cut off a peice of the shifter, and weld the threads back on? I heard of guys welding in that extra peice they cut out in the bottom, to make the shorter shifts well..even shorter. Im scared of doing that though, i dont want my shifts to be notchy.

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have an eBay shifter in my 4th Gen, it was a Corolla shifter, was used in a 5th Gen GT-S, then made it's way into Mudhoney. It was bent by the previous owner (Grayscale) to a better angle. It is the same height as my stock shifter, but the throws are much shorter.

I wouldn't suggest adding length to the bottom of an aftermarket short shifter, you will run into clearance issues.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

i have a 6th gen in my 5th gen. i had to pound down the chasis to clear the shifts. after driving with a TWM, i think im going to buy a TWM. its more worth in my opinion. but go with watevers cheap for you.

Simply cutting the top of the shifter shorter doesnt do much, except make it harder to move the stick around.

Its the combination of lengthing the bottom portion, and shortening the top which yeild the best result.

Ofcoarse, by lengthing the bottom, the upper shifter assembly has to be jacked up accordingly to clear the shifter tunnel. Most kits come with the hard ware you need for this.

Corey

I see what you guys are saying, so is it cool if i just cut a bit off the top and rethread it with a new knob? I know it will make the stick harder to move around, but its already a short throw shifter, i dont need to make it even short, i just dont like the length at the top.
    Last edited by Maleek; 01-24-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleek
    I see what you guys are saying, so is it cool if i just cut a bit off the top and rethread it with a new knob? I know it will make the stick harder to move around, but its already a short throw shifter, i dont need to make it even short, i just dont like the length at the top.
    it wont affect the throw. it will just look shorter.

i perfer a long shifter with a shorter throw like the B&M shifters for honda.

okay so i finally got it in the mail the other day, does anybody know what its made out of? I dont wanna cut it , and then come to find out that its aluminum or something and i just screwed myself over.

what corey and wizzards said is true, cutting the top of the shifter does nothing except move the knob down in to the boot more. I've seen it done before, a guy around here did it to his probe GT and that shifter still had a lot of travel. The idea of short shifters isnt that they are short, its that they have a short throw or movement from gear to gear. When you drive a car with an actual short shifter you'll realize cutting the top off did nothing but cause you to have to reach further. Short throw shifter some times arent much shorter than factory

yeah i realized that now. the reason i bought it in the first place was to shorten the throw, AND for the shifter itself to be shorter than factory. So now that i bought a short throw shifter all i have to do is to shorten it, so that it isnt as long as the factory one was. Thats why i was asking if anybody knew what it was made of, before i cut it and realize i cant weld it back together.

It's steel. I've never seen one made of aluminum, and if it's an ebay one they certainly wouldn't have gone through the trouble of using aluminum. If you're unsure just stick a magnet to it. Do you know how to weld?

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I run a C'S shifter and it's the shift lever is just as long as stock (at least with the hardware raising the shifter base). However the shifts are much much shorter... this is better performance wise because it puts the shifter closer to the steering wheel (well not so much for the C'S cause it's angled the wrong way for RHD). If it's just appearance you're going for, just cut it and get a generic shift knob that uses allen keys to hold itself onto the shifter.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

if you're really nervous about what metal it is, take a magnet to it. steel is magnetic, aluminum is not.
    custom short ram intake
    54mm throttle body
    TB coolant bypass
    STI 8mm wires
    NGK plugs
    advanced timing
    ebay header
    no cat
    lowered 1.5" (eibach sportlines)
    KYB GR2 shocks/struts

cylinder head progress:
    1.disassembled and cleaned
    2.milled .050"
    3.valve guides ground flush.
    4.intake diverters knife-edged.
    5.ported and polished
    6.3 angle valve job
    coming: acid ported intake manifold. cams eventually.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes's Avatar

Images

TWM makes an excellent short shifter for our cars! I love mine!
    Right, Brilliant, Cheers!

Good idea, i never thought of the magnet idea. I personally don't know how to weld, but my cousin's girlfriend's dad knows how to. He said he'd do it for a low low price of nothing

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    It's steel. I've never seen one made of aluminum, and if it's an ebay one they certainly wouldn't have gone through the trouble of using aluminum. If you're unsure just stick a magnet to it. Do you know how to weld?

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut
    if you're really nervous about what metal it is, take a magnet to it. steel is magnetic, aluminum is not.
    Oh the power of conductivity!

Thread Information