CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP PLEASE! power window problem

I just bought a 5th gen GT-S but some reason the driver window doesn't go up smooth, I hold the button up it goes for a little and stops.... hold it again goes up another inch and stops.. does anyone know if this is a switch problem or the motor? Let me know thanks :ohyeah:

You need a new regulator/motor unit.
    living to see 1.5 lateral G's in my autocross car
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I forgot to say it goes down perfect but only stops going up every few inches, annoying but eventually it will get to the top. So do you think I need new motor or regulator or both?

It is best to get a new regulator with the motor because that ensures the mechanism for moving the window is also smooth and clean.

Note: The regulator looks to be pivots and metal bars. So it is unlikely the regulator ever breaks. You might just get a motor and clean up your regulator, add some silicone grease and be happy.

Go to an auto parts store and get some silicone lubricant spray. Use the spray in the window channel. The silicone spray is good to lubricate all kinds of plastic / rubber.
    Last edited by davmac; 01-21-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Note regulator probably never breaks

my motor seems fine, it goes up really fast but just stops itself. do you guys think it might be the switch?

It's possible the switch contacts are dirty or burned and only working intermittently. If you can snag a salvage yard switch then give it a try. Or bypass the switch to test the motor. Pull the door panel off and bring power directly to the motor. 12VDC at one wire to the motor and ground at the other will send the window up or down. Just reverse polarity to get the opposite. You can get a 12VDC power supply at Radio Shack and can back probe the motor connector to test the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Auto
    You need a new regulator/motor unit.
    ditto:

The armeture in the motor has probibly shorted a few windings due to wear and tear. This changes the impedance of teh motor and although it will still work it requires more load to operate and as a result over loads circuit which results in auto shut down through the switch. when the circuit cools it will do it all over again which results in inch by inch every few moments or so till the window is completely up. Not to mention that you might also be having brush problems on the motor. I suggest also replacing the regulator because if it is of any age it will be worn and loosey goosey resulting in sloppy operation.
    living to see 1.5 lateral G's in my autocross car
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wow thanks for the responses ^ that sounds reasonable

Thread Information