CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default My arms are getting tired...

Hate to beg for help after being absent from the boards for a couple months, but I wanted to see what you guys thought of this issue.

My '89 GT Coupe 5 speed had a completely shot suspension when I bought it. In addition to the various clunks and floating ride, the steering would occasionally loose power assist shortly after start up. It always cleared up quickly and was fine the rest of the day.

Fast forward a year or so, and I've completely rebuilt the suspension. Four new struts, Eibach springs, sway bar links, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods. But the day I got it all in and drove her for the first time the steering problem became more frequent. Power started cutting out randomly at any time of day. Now, the last two days, I've had no power steering. What worries me the most is that the wheel is getting harder to turn, my forearm muscles were actually sore this morning! There are no new noises and the belt is fine.

So what do you guys think? Vaccum valve gone? Pump went out? Or am I just wishing that it's a coincidence and should assume that I damaged the rack when I changed the inner tie rods?

Since I'm basically rebuilding the car from the ground up I'll most likely replace all three components at once if time and money allows, but any feedback on what I should start with otherwise would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

I assume you've checked and PS fluid level is good? Do you have any noises when turning the wheel?
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Power steering has fluid?!?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've been in the parts industry for three years, and I would've asked the same thing. It always makes me lose a little faith in humanity every time the answer is "no."

Anyway, fluid is fine, no noises.

And an update, the damn thing is working again today. Had a couple of instances where the assist cut out, but for the majority of driving it was fine. Damn car...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

mine does the same thing sometimes, though not as bad. Maybe it is due to the high pressure steering fluid hose that is known to go bad on these cars?? who knows??

Still trying to find an interchangeable non power steering rack.

let me know if you find one

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

LOL I dont think there is one.

i'm not quite sure on celicas, but on the cars i work on a hose can deteriorate internally and the rubber builds up in the pump, causing the pump to fail intermittently or permanently. Have you noticed any leaks from any of the hoses? What kind of condition is the pulley and the belt? and you said no weird noises when it does cut out, right?
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

Images

Thanks for all the input!

The more I think I about it the more the problem looks like hose deterioration. No leaks yet, but that doesn't mean that the insides aren't toast. I'm thinking that I'll get under there and replace them all, as well as the belt while I'm down there, and see what happens. I'm sure the steering system could use all new fluid anyway. I know it's been in there for the 8k miles I've put on the car, and who knows if it was ever changed in the 211k the car drove before that.

Thanks again!

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Fortunately the power steering system is a fairly simple setup. It will either be your pump or just a belt slipping for it to be intermittently.

Thread Information