CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default My CS/RC Bumper Install - LOTS OF PICS

Hi Everyone,

I finally decided that my daily driver needed one last exterior upgrade so I decided to jump on the wagon and get a CS/RC Bumper. I bought the bumper from 1sttoyotaparts.com. Price was reasonable and shipping was fast. The only thing I bought was the bumper cover. I did not purchase the CS reinforcement bumper as I do not need to ever install a huge intercooler on my N/A engine.

I recall there being questions and debates whether the CS bumper will fit over the stock reiforcement crash bar. Well, to answer those nay-sayers, IT DOES FIT OVER. All I did was dremel out a few tabs that were sticking out of the back of the bumper and it fits like a glove.

Don't be too intimidated about removing the front bumper. Just take your time and use your common sense and you'll be fine. Of course, don't forget to disconnect the battery just in case. It is also helpful to jack the front end up and place the front end on jack stands.

Note: I am not liable for any damages. (Can't forget the disclaimer )

CS/RC Bumper Cover Part Number 52119-20929

Tool List

- Screwdrivers
    - Rachet and 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets
    - WD-40
    - Rivet Gun for compatibility with 1/8" rivets
    - 1/8" x 1/4" Rivets
    - Dremel

Let the removal begin!

Here is what my GT-S bumper looked like straight from the factory.

Blurry engine shot

Removing the corner and bumper lights...note, if you do not know how to remove these, then I suggest you do not attempt to remove your bumper Also remove the front plastic (fake carbon) grill.

Remove the plastic radiator cover by removing the round clips (just press the center of the clips inwards)

On the upper radiator support, you can see that the bumper is bolted on to it by the bolts on the 3 black brackets. (One in front of each headlight and one in the center) Remove these bolts.

Remove the clips and bolts that connects the underbody cover to the bumper

Remove the bolt behind the corner lights and the bolt on the bottom corner of the bumper.

Dismantle the front lower grill if you have this Alltrac/GT-S bumper and remove the foglight grills. Also remove the license plate bracket and remove the miscellaneous clips and bolts in the grill that mounts the bumper on.

Once you're certain that all of the bolts are removed, pop the sides of the bumper outwards away from the car. The sides of the bumper is held on by clips. Be careful not to damage anything. If you're lucky, you're old bumper should come off in a snap (not literally)

Remove the foglights

This is where the dremeling comes in...
    Dry fit your CS bumper over the stock crash bar. You will notice that the top part of the bumper doesn't go in as far as it should. This is because of the small extrusions or tabs on the back side of the bumper. I believe this is for mounting the mesh grills that are available at the dealer.
    As you can see in the pictures, I only removed 4 tabs. Just use your judgement as to which ones to dremel out and you should be fine.

Dry fit to check for proper clearances

You are going to need to swap over all of the brackets and clips from your old bumper onto your new CS bumper. One set of these brackets is the important side brackets. You don't want your sides to be popping out so this is critical for a good fit.

Have you ever used a rivet gun before? I haven't but I learned in a few seconds. (Engineering skills :ohyeah: ) Go purchase a cheap rivet gun for 10 dollars and a few 1/8" x 1/4" rivets. Carefully dremel out the old rivets on the side bracket to remove it from your old bumper. Rivet on the side brackets to your new bumper.

Once you swapped over all of the brackets and mounts (don't forget the front bumper lights screw clip) installation is just merely a reverse of the removal.

BTW, my bottom underbody engine cover did extend to the CS bumper and did not fall short. Might be different for other models...

Looks a lot better in my opinion, but I'm missing those large stock foglights. I need to find some foglights now. Any suggestions??

Last edited by AznKlique; 04-08-2010 at 11:34 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Celica GT-S - Eibach ProKit, Alltrac Hood, CS Bumper, JDM Clear Corners, Clear Front Bumper, 35% Tints, Kicker RMB8, Lenso Samurai Bronze 17" Wheels

2007 GTI - NewSouth Boost Gauge, APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-Flo Intake

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Front shot, level with the bumper/license plate holder please?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar
    Front shot, level with the bumper/license plate holder please?
    Definitely, once I get a hold of the digicam I left at my parents house. Are you looking to see what the stock crash bar looks like through the bumper? It's black so it's not too noticeable. Most people don't notice unless I point it out.

Here are a few other pictures I have on hand...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Celica GT-S - Eibach ProKit, Alltrac Hood, CS Bumper, JDM Clear Corners, Clear Front Bumper, 35% Tints, Kicker RMB8, Lenso Samurai Bronze 17" Wheels

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AznKlique
    Definitely, once I get a hold of the digicam I left at my parents house. Are you looking to see what the stock crash bar looks like through the bumper? It's black so it's not too noticeable. Most people don't notice unless I point it out.
    Did you ever happen to get this photo? I despise how the licence plate mounts on my 90 GT bumper and figure it would look a lot cleaner with a CS bumper -- but am concerned about the visibility of the stock crash bar.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes's Avatar

Images

Looks good cheif!
    Right, Brilliant, Cheers!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean has a brilliant future Sean's Avatar
    Sean has donated to the forums! Sean helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! Sean helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon Sean helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Nice work, interesting about the underbody panels. I may have to buy some new ones then.

Turbo 1990 Celica T3/T4 57 trim
    2007 Toyota Tundra DBL SR5 5.7 TRD
    2010 Lexus ISF PPE Headers JOE Z Exhaust K40 Radar
    2007 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Nice work, interesting about the underbody panels. I may have to buy some new ones then.
    Yeah, I was afraid that the undercover wasn't going to reach the new bumper, but to my surprise it did. I guess all you would have to get is an undercover from a 92-93 GT-S or from any ST185.

I had to remove the metal bracket of the undercover that bolted up to the stock bumper, but I just tucked the underbody cover over the bottom back edge of the CS bumper.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

very nice work.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Good write up, car looks much improved.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

Very nice, what did you use to paint it?
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Quote Originally Posted by Cavanagh
    Very nice, what did you use to paint it?
    I didn't paint it. I had my cousin paint it for me for cheap.

I was considering painting it myself, but I felt that the materials and tools required to paint just the bumper would exceed the price to have it done by a professional shop.

good write up! looks sweet!

maybe a sticky??

1991 Celica GT-S -awaiting swap...

2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i -Daily

Very nicely done. Concise wording on the write-up as well. Thanks
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

great write up. lots of helpful information. looks sexy and very nice touch.

Sorry, not yet. It's been rather nasty out for the past few weeks. I'll see if I can get a pic up today.

Well, I tried to post up some pics on how the crash bar looks behind the bumper on the second set of pictures I posted. You don't even notice it because it's painted black. Blends in well actually.

Did the holes on your undercovers match up as well? MY undercover extended too far for the RC bumper.
    Coldiron (Cold - Iron) | Dragon Meet OG

| offensivetheory.deviantart.com/
    1992 Celica Gtfour | 2003 350z Track

Quote Originally Posted by cms-gt4
    Did the holes on your undercovers match up as well? MY undercover extended too far for the RC bumper.
    The holes didn't match up. I tucked the underbody cover over the bottom lip on the backside of the bumper. Seemed stiff enough to stay in place even at high speeds

Quote Originally Posted by AznKlique
    The holes didn't match up. I tucked the underbody cover over the bottom lip on the backside of the bumper. Seemed stiff enough to stay in place even at high speeds

They are not stiff enough to stay in. I assumed the same thing and when I passed a truck on the highway the pressure caused them to blow out. They folded underneath the car and dragged down the highway. With no tools I had to cut them with a pocket knife back to the radiator core support. This is why I have a "wanted to buy" for ST185 undercovers. Toyota has discontinued them.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

clean looking sharp
    YouTube- Celica Rally Tribute

Streetfire-Celica Rally Tribute

Where did you get your bumper, if you don't mind me asking. I need to either fix my bumper or replace it. Found them online from various "toyota part warehouses" with crapy websites for $211, but would be willing to pay more to get it from a more reputable source...

I'm gonna stop at Brunswick Toyota tomorrow and see what they charge

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

1sttoyotaparts.com

There is a thread for the part numbers on the forum somewhere

Part number for bumper and place I bought it is in my first post.

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

First Toyota kicks ass.

I get stuff for my SC300 all the time there using assorted MKIV Supra parts.
    --Aaron
    1976 Toyota Celica GT 5MT//2007 Honda Civic//Skateboard

Oh wow, I read your post and saw the part numbr but somehow totally missed the part about 1st toyota.

Did you paint the bumper yourself or have somebody else do it?
    I think I can install the bumper thanks to your concise wright-up, but I wouldn't confident in painting it.

::edit::
    Nevermind, I gotta start reading things better.
    Last edited by Blue Scapegoat; 01-14-2008 at 05:48 AM.

If you have any questions regarding the install, just let me know. I left out a couple of things, but they should be self explanatory once you get rolling.

Thread Information