CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MrTurrari View Post
    Adding compression will just increase power everywhere. The power band will stay the same for the most part as peak cylinder pressures will be higher at every RPM. That means you get some low end back that was lost with the increased duration and you get more power in the mids and up top but you are now closer to the detonation threshold. The good news is it is harder to detonate at higher RPMS so it's not a problem until you really push it. So if you increased compression say to 10:1 with the 294 cams you could probably still run the lowest octane pump gas.
    That makes sense, thanks! Would it be wise to disconnect my knock sensor if I were to do that? I have heard a few stories about the ECU being able to handle a pretty wide range of pre-detonation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Disconnecting the knock sensor will throw a code and cause the ECU to go into limp mode so you don't want that. From my experience the rev2 ECU is able to retard timing when it senses knock but not advance it, at least not by very much. So it can handle modest changes in compression without a problem. If you find you do need to advance the timing to get more power or compensate for overclocking an ECU, a piggyback with timing control will let you set the starting point and the ECU can fine tune.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTurrari View Post
    Disconnecting the knock sensor will throw a code and cause the ECU to go into limp mode so you don't want that. From my experience the rev2 ECU is able to retard timing when it senses knock but not advance it, at least not by very much. So it can handle modest changes in compression without a problem. If you find you do need to advance the timing to get more power or compensate for overclocking an ECU, a piggyback with timing control will let you set the starting point and the ECU can fine tune.
    If we can get a GB on the cam, I would be game for a compression jump and a n ECU upgrade. I am afraid time isn't on my side for this one though, it would have to be within the next week or so. Ah, decisions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i really hope we can do thus group buy cuz i really want some cams!

all in favour of the group buy say "I!"

I... if I can get a rev.1 regrind... If I'm swapping the motor out she is getting a 3vz or 5vz....

i feel like such a noob for asking this but wat is this rev 1 and rev 2 thing that everyone talks about?

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Rev 1 5sfe is 90-91
    Rev 2 5sfe is 92-93

Rev 1 doesnt have a knock sensor has cold start injector
    Rev 2 does have a knock sensor doesnt have cold start injector

BTW Search is your friend
    Last edited by Grot; 04-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

ah. thanks ive got a rev1 then

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Just talked to Jon, owner of Delta Cam, and he said he could do $150 per cam for the 294 hardweld/grind ($300 per pair). He said he doesn't have any cams for the 5S so he'd have to build some cores. I'd be willing to donate a set to reduce turn around, so long as I get another set back.

Let me know if you're interested.

Joey

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey View Post
    Just talked to Jon, owner of Delta Cam, and he said he could do $150 per cam for the 294 hardweld/grind ($300 per pair). He said he doesn't have any cams for the 5S so he'd have to build some cores. I'd be willing to donate a set to reduce turn around, so long as I get another set back.

Joey
    I am just so happening to be pulling my head tomorrow, so I have an exhaust cam with Delta's name on it. Any idea what the turn around time is on that? If I can get that back in 14 days, that would be amazing, and you can count me in!

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I'll check with him tomorrow.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Looks like I missed my mark pretty bad for price in this thread.

Joey, if it's not too much of a hassle, could you also ask him if doing a custom grind would be more expensive? I'm not a huge fan of the lack of overlap the 294 cams have. (I know I could mechanically change it, but it would change around the rest of the cam timing in potentially bad ways)
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it

Images

Um... sure. PM me the specs.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Joey, can you get all the specs on the cam after the grind? My machinist needs the info for the head rebuild.

count me in man! i totally want one! how hard is it to install a cam?

Lifetime Member Nate84 is on a distinguished road Nate84's Avatar
    Nate84 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Nate84 has donated to the forums!

So if ive got a 98-99 5s but used my 91 5s intake and wiring cold start injector...computer...etc. etc. etc. I cant use rev 2 cams? or what?

the intake and cold start injector dont effect the valvetrain. They are before the head.

would it be a bad thing if i got just an intake cam?

so this guy thats doing them for $150 each, will he do rev.1 cams?

Also, has anyone tried his cams yet?

after further research i have come to find that you will need new lifters aswell because the lifters and cams will be at different hardnesses and one will wear out quickly is this true? and would it be a bad thing to do just an intake came and a stock exhaust cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    after further research i have come to find that you will need new lifters aswell because the lifters and cams will be at different hardnesses and one will wear out quickly is this true? and would it be a bad thing to do just an intake came and a stock exhaust cam?
    I am not aware of this being a problem. I know there are a number of adjustments that need to be made with lifters and valves. Camshafts aren't just drop in and go.

see i was under the impression that a 294 grind cam was a bolt on. wat adjustments need to be done to the valve train?
    Last edited by Izzy; 04-13-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey View Post

Joey
    I'm very interested in this - amazing price compared to webcams etc.
    I've got a spare set of 5S cams I wouldn't mind sending at all.
    I need to measure the base circle diameter to see if they are Rev1 or Rev2 ...
    I have a feeling they are Rev1 for some reason but I can measure them tonite.
    I would need the Rev2 since my Camry is a '99 5S.

Let me know what I can do to help make this happen.

*Alltrac Goddess*
    87 AW11 MR2 hardtop 4A-GZE swapped Super2 Stage 1 Complete
    90 ST185 Celica AllTrac 3S-GTE Vadar Turbo AWD Sith Power - lots of upgrades, more on the way
    99 SXV20 Camry 5S-FE Maul TRD Grocery Getter slow & reliable - soon to be a little less slow
    89 AW11 MR2 hardtop Sold, but living on in Super2

id jump in on this too. Im up for a set of cams. and i know that a staggard cam setup is not a bad thing. im running a 272 intake and 264 exhaust in my All-Trac. this is a very common setup.

also this is a good excuse to upgrade to the 1ZZ shimmless buckets, just by doing t hat you remove 30% valvetrain weight
    2001 Celica GT-S Turbo 2ZZ-GTE
    1997 Supra TT 6 speed 2JZ-GTE
    1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ V6 hybrid
    1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE

^ do 1ZZ shimless buckets fit in a 5S as well?
    I know they fit a 3S but am not sure what a shimless option is for a 5s.

*Alltrac Goddess*
    87 AW11 MR2 hardtop 4A-GZE swapped Super2 Stage 1 Complete
    90 ST185 Celica AllTrac 3S-GTE Vadar Turbo AWD Sith Power - lots of upgrades, more on the way
    99 SXV20 Camry 5S-FE Maul TRD Grocery Getter slow & reliable - soon to be a little less slow
    89 AW11 MR2 hardtop Sold, but living on in Super2

Thread Information