CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Nate84 View Post
    So if ive got a 98-99 5s but used my 91 5s intake and wiring cold start injector...computer...etc. etc. etc. I cant use rev 2 cams? or what?
    As was said the cams have to go with the head you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    would it be a bad thing if i got just an intake cam?
    It will work but personally I would do both for a better power band. Jim Snodgrass did that with his 147rwhp build ages ago. What it does is line up the intake cam's torque peak with the exhaust cam's torque peak both around 4300rpms. That gives you more peak torque but it still drops off similar to the stock cams after that.

after further research i have come to find that you will need new lifters aswell because the lifters and cams will be at different hardnesses and one will wear out quickly is this true? and would it be a bad thing to do just an intake came and a stock exhaust cam?
    You need to redo the shims which are what comes in contact with the cam lobes. If the base circle stays close to the same then you can reuse some of your old shims.

see i was under the impression that a 294 grind cam was a bolt on. wat adjustments need to be done to the valve train?
    Depends on how you define bolt-on. You can do it all with wrenches, screw drivers, sockets and a feeler gauge. You just have to measure the tolerances after installing them and get the proper shims to make the clearances within spec. It is possible to do it without removing the timing belt from the cam gear. Shims can also be replaced without removing the cams like has been mentioned but it is easier to at least loosen the caps so you have a little room to work. Just always be careful to loosen them all incrementally and in sequence so the cam doesn't get bent.

thanks mr. turrari. how are we coming along with this group buy? maybe we should start a new thread for it? just to keep it organized.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Well I laid out a price...

EDIT: Plus, Jon said he can't really cut a group buy. The price is as good as he can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

$150 is an AMAZING price on the regrind guys. I'm def in on this. I know webcams claim this is a bolt in upgrade, but aren't there SOME adjustments that need to be made? Is this really a complete, camshaft out, camshaft in, upgrade?

It can be- though I'm sure you know the majority of the potential will be realized with some tuning.

Would a SAFC from either HKS or Apexi be enough?

i think you would want some dyno time to adjust 1 cam gear & you could fool with the base timing somewhat also.
    an apex-i safc might help too but i've never had any luck getting one to work right.

*Alltrac Goddess*
    87 AW11 MR2 hardtop 4A-GZE swapped Super2 Stage 1 Complete
    90 ST185 Celica AllTrac 3S-GTE Vadar Turbo AWD Sith Power - lots of upgrades, more on the way
    99 SXV20 Camry 5S-FE Maul TRD Grocery Getter slow & reliable - soon to be a little less slow
    89 AW11 MR2 hardtop Sold, but living on in Super2

how comes the progress with the group buy?

how comes the progress with the group buy?
    Because the amount is so low, it's better then a GB. I'd just contact Delta Cam and order directly. That's an awesome deal.

^ that's what i'm planning on doing - just have to measure the base circle on the spare set of cams i have now & figure out if they are for rev1 or rev2 5s.
    if they are for a rev1 i'll be trying to sell them here for cheap.

*Alltrac Goddess*
    87 AW11 MR2 hardtop 4A-GZE swapped Super2 Stage 1 Complete
    90 ST185 Celica AllTrac 3S-GTE Vadar Turbo AWD Sith Power - lots of upgrades, more on the way
    99 SXV20 Camry 5S-FE Maul TRD Grocery Getter slow & reliable - soon to be a little less slow
    89 AW11 MR2 hardtop Sold, but living on in Super2

Quote Originally Posted by christine_lives! View Post
    Because the amount is so low, it's better then a GB. I'd just contact Delta Cam and order directly. That's an awesome deal.
    and how would i get a hold of theese guys do they have a website?

and how would i get a hold of theese guys do they have a website?
    Yes, yes they do.

www.deltacam.com

well then i shall google away

has anyone used a set of these Delta cams? i just watched all their videos and i must say im pretty impressed with their attention to details.
    2001 Celica GT-S Turbo 2ZZ-GTE
    1997 Supra TT 6 speed 2JZ-GTE
    1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ V6 hybrid
    1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE

Well I just got a set of cams back from Delta and I am a little disappointed. I really can't complain too much because of the price though. I paid $198 for both cams to be ground not including the cost of a set of rev2 cams from a junk yard and shipping to them. All said and done I am into these about $270 which is a great deal.

Now the reason I am a little disappointed is because I had asked for a particular specification on the cams, in writing and then on the phone. I had asked them if they could grind a set of rev2 cams down to rev1 base circle with 229@0.050" and 0.350" lift. I said if they couldn't get close then I would pay to have more material welded on. Weeks past and they finally called me saying the cams were done... they never called me back to verify if what they could do was going to be acceptable. I know they have been swamped the last couple of months but it would have been nice if they would have at least checked back with me before they did the work. They said they managed to get 228@0.050" and 0.330" lift but now that I have them in my hands I can see they aren't quite what they claimed. The quality of the finish is good but the numbers are short of what they claimed and what the spec sheet that came with them says they are. Maybe that is why they gave me such a good deal.

Lift is actually 0.316-0.320" on both and duration is 220-222@0.050" on the intake and 222-224@0.050" on the exhaust. That is measured using two different methods on multiple lobes. That puts these cams just a little hotter then a Webcam 294 but no where close to the 101 which is what I was hoping for. I might go ahead and try these but I am thinking they aren't going to be enough.

So yeah I think you can get some good cheap cams from Delta but you may not get exactly what you asked for. Close but not precise like you would get with Webcams. I suspect what I was asking for was on the limits of what they could do with only grinding and so maybe asking for a 294 equivalent would get better results. You just can't beat the price though if you have a rev1 and want a torque curve similar to the one in the first post.

i just got a email back from delta and they said they couldnt help me with a grind like the webcam 294 grind

Project Ava

Quote Originally Posted by pintoBC_5sfte View Post
    i just got a email back from delta and they said they couldnt help me with a grind like the webcam 294 grind
    Try asking for 218@0.050" with 0.322" lift and see if they will do that. It may depend on who you talk to or maybe they think that 294 is the duration you are asking for. I know for sure they can do that of you have a rev1 and are supplying rev2 cams as that is what I did above.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTurrari View Post
    Try asking for 218@0.050" with 0.322" lift and see if they will do that. It may depend on who you talk to or maybe they think that 294 is the duration you are asking for. I know for sure they can do that of you have a rev1 and are supplying rev2 cams as that is what I did above.
    okay, thanks a bunch. just sent them another email with your specs. Hopefully i will get a better result then before

Project Ava

So with Delta you ship them your cams and they regrind them or do you just order a set? And with webcams do you just order them in that profile?

I thought both, you send yours in to be re ground

Project Ava

Thread Information