CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Hooligan's 5SFE Intake and TB Upgrade

Dave, Please post your details and picts here!
    Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PROJECT STATEMENT
    My project is to fit a larger throttle body to the stock 5SFE intake manifold. The process I used should work to fit practically any throttle body on any intake manifold (within reason, of course). I wanted to design something that could possibly be made in a short run batch to be sold if there is interest. With that in mind, the project must be accomplished in an easy and somewhat cheap manner.

DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
    Since I don't have access to a TIG welder to weld a new flange on my stock manifold, I decided to machine an adapter plate that would bolt onto my stock manifold and then have studs to mount the new throttle body on. The basic design of the plate has countersunk holes for mounting the plate onto the stock manifold, and then threaded holes that will accept studs to mount the new throttle body.

THROTTLE BODY SELECTION
    I had three main points in mind when selecting a newer throttle body: cheap, larger than stock, easy to find. After doing a few hours of research/searching on the internet, I decided to use a Ford throttle body that is found on the 5.0 Mustang, among other things. There are a TON of these things available as lots of Mustang owners upgrade their throttle bodies, and the same part came on other Ford products as well. I think I paid all of $15 shipped for one from eBay that came bead blasted. The size of the TB is 60mm, compared to the stock sized 50mm.

PREPARATION
    As stated, this project involves fitting a larger throttle body to a stock 5SFE manifold. I bought a spare 92+5SFE manifold for $40 shipped from a board member. After cleaning up the manifold, I blocked the EGR port off with some JB Weld and manufactured a nut to install on the head as I didn't want to run EGR anymore. I then proceeded to enlargen the throttle body orifice to the new size. I did the entire thing with a half-round hand file, Dremel, and sandpaper. The hole is actually not the full 60mm as I was not sure if there was enough material on the manifold to remove the entire amount. The edge exposed to flow has a radius on it to minimize pressure drop across the transition.

I made some gaskets with some gasket material purchased from McMaster Carr.

The holes in the new throttle body need to be drilled out to XXX" to accomidate the metric studs that I chose to mount it with.

STATUS
    As of right now, the project is at a standstill. I am not sure how to tackle the TPS on the new throttle body. I assume that I will make some sort of adapter to adapt the stock 5SFE sensor to the Ford throttle body's shaft, but I have not removed the stock TPS from my car to see how to do this. I need to get a spare TPS to mess around with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

Pics will be added later, although most of them were lost when I had a hard drive crash.

-Dave

You have a four wire sensor right?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Schmleff
    You have a four wire sensor right?
    Haven't checked, but I think I do. Remember, the car used to be an auto.

-Dave

It would be easier to use a Ford TPS and convert the voltage to 5sfe voltage.
    I can do that for u if you tell me what the 2 voltages are

I'm assuming that TPS is linear in throttle angle and thus if you give me these 4 numbers

5sfe TPS throttle plate fully closed
    5sfe TPS WOT
    Ford TPS closed
    Ford TPS WOT

I can make you a simple (2-5$) circuit to remap the voltage.

-Nuke
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:

Nuke,
    That would be sweet. I'm not sure how this is going to work because the Ford sensor only has two wires.

-Dave

5sfe has WOT and IDL signals that can be generated by thresholding the TPS voltage (say lower than 0.5 or higher than 4.5...etc)

but 2 wires feels low, unless the sensor is internally grounded to the TB ? (having 1 power wire and 1 output wire?)

dunno you'd have to figure out more about it.

-nuke
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster

my blog:

Nuke, the Mustang sensor does have 3 wires. I looked this morning right after I woke up and didn't bother to turn on any lights. Haha

So do you think there's some way you could build me a board? I feel like I'd like that a lot more than trying to get my stocker on.

-Dave

just get me the numbers and i'll send u a schematic...that you can build (radioshack style stuff)

my blog:

What ever happened to this project?

he owns a WRX now and is on his last semester of college... i dunno if he sold the celi or not though

my blog:

I have the project. It is not installed yet though. I have other priorities first. After I start working on it ill post pics.

yeah i havent heard from hooligan for a long time, guess he doenst have the celi anymore.

98 GST - Greddy Profec Type S, evo valve lash adjusters, FMIC, 660cc Injectors, EVO Big 16g Turbo, 6 BOLT SWAP, and 6 puck clutch

No im pretty sure he sold the celica and then he sold the tb and intake manny to me. I should be installing that and an afr controller pretty soon.

Grayscale asked me to post about Throttle Body and intake manifold and sadly i never got to install it. I wasnt sure how to wire the tps sensor on the mustang tb to the existing wires. Anybody got any help on this or if someone else wants to take it over I might possibly sell it.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

you should pm nuke and see if he could help you figure it out.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

I can tell you a couple of things.
    Most importantly, the 5S ECU needs an idle signal [when the throttle plate is closed]. It's a simple 5V on/off switch. Since the Ford one is only 3 wires, I'm guessing it doesn't have an idle contact. A newer one might.

There are 4 terminals on the 5S TPS.
    VC VTA IDL E2
    VC is a 5V input from the ECU.
    E2 is a ground back to the ECU.
    IDL is the idle switch signal.
    VTA is the position signal for the ECU. It tells the ECU what angle the throttle plate is on.

The potentiometer in the TPS needs to be 2.5 - 6 thousand ohms.
    Resistance goes up as the throttle plate is opened.

If I knew what the Ford one had for specs, I could help you more, but I don't know that.

Ill see if I can find some specs. Its a fairly new throttle body it is the same one that is stock on my cousins 96 GT mustang.

Thread Information