CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Default sticking throttle cable

My throttle seems to be sticking. Everytime I'm just driving regulary it won't return all the way to closed so the revs will stay up there on downshifts and slowly fall. And If I put the clutch in, it doesn't go to idle but to around 2000rpm. If I jab the throttle to WOT and quickly let go, the throttle closes completely and it idles normally. It looks like the cable isn't letting the throttle close all the way or the return spring on the throttle isn't strong enough. I messed with the throttle in the engine bay and it closes properly but if I use the pedal inside the car it will stick.

Is there any way to make an adjustment so it closes completely? Should I lube the cable somehow? :luvydunno Can I make the spring act stronger so it can close completely?

There's probably a simple solution I'm overlooking since I'm really tired right now. Help me out

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Looks like it's going to be the throttle cable that goes from the gas pedal to the cruise control thing. Just a follow-up so people that dig this thread up through the search later on won't be wondering what it was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

I guess it is possible the cable is suddenly adding too much friction, but I found that the return spring or some portion of it will somehow unhook so there is not enough force to close the throttle plate. If the throttle body is really dirty it could also add some friction or keep it from closing occasionally. I think it is more likely the return spring on the throttle body. Take a close look and make sure all three spring wires are hooked up on the throttle body.

Thread Information