CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Lower Control Arm?

I took the car in to get alignment today. I called them like 5 hours after i drop it off, and they tell me they cant do it. my lower control arm is bent about an inch in. and front right strut is bent too. also my 2 front tires were on backwards??
    about 2 winters ago, i slammed into a curb on that wheel and never got an alignment or anything.
    i need to fix the control arm before i can get alignment. how tough is it do yourself? any pointers or writeups or anything?
    also im thinkin bout just gettin all new struts and lowerin the car while im at it.
    thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AIM: ibanezgfx

stxcelica02

I had the same shit happen to me a couple of years ago, its kinda of a pain in the ass but if you have a lift that you can use it wont be too bad, I think the control arm cost me like $100 maybe alittle more or less. you have to remove the brakes on that side and either remove or pry down the cross member like I did, all I really remember is that it took me a few hours to do on the ground on my back...

To do the control arm isn't that hard at all. All you need to do is remove the transversal (small) crossmember, and the 3 more big bolts that hold the control arm assembly to the frame of the car. Then unbolt the anti-roll bar and the 3 bolts that hold the outer edge of the control arm to the hub assembly. I would honestly go to a junkyard for a replacment control arm. Just look for one that isn't on the side where the car was damaged and one that doesn't have too much rust on it. This way you get the entire assembly that bolts to the frame of the car, not just the arm, which will make it much easier to replace. As for the strut, support the hub while you have the control arm out, then remove the 2 big bolts that hold the strut to the hub, move the hub out of the way, and pull the clip that holds the brake line to the strut. Then, take a hacksaw and carefully saw a slit in the circular bracket on the strut that the brake line goes through. Be careful to not nick the brake line when you're doing this. Now bend the bracket so that you can remove the strut without taking the brake line off.
    Next, remove the 3 upper mounting bolts holding the strut in. Before you put the new strut in, cut the bracket on it in the same way so that you can get the brake line back in. Bend this bracket back as straight as you can so that you can put the clip back in that will hold the brake line in place. I know this is very long, i hope it helps though.
    Ben
    92 ST-184 w/1990 3S-GTE - needs transmission work

91 ST-185 - Daily driven for now

thanks a lot! ill show this to my friends and see if they cant help me. if you get EXTREMELY bored over the weekend, you could post some pics of all that nonsense (not the complete teardown, but just of some of the parts)

also u will need the following

17mm
    19mm..i think
    hex key...for the endlink...along with a 10 mm
    14mm
    breaker bar
    1/2 and 3/4ths socket wrench

the shock/strut asembly if bent needs to be replaced

if your going to remove the whole thing

unblot the 2 bolts near the bottom of the assembly

i think they are 19mm
    then unblot thw 3 14mm nuts that hold it onto the car (under hood)

put new assembly in

its best to change out both sides though because if u put 1 new strut on and u still have and old worn one the car may pull to one side when accelerating

u can buy whole assemblys at discount advance auto and other parts stores

if u want to know how to change just the shock cartage just ask
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

im looking at parts online
    do i need to get the shaft, ball joint and bushings? if i do thats a shitton of money...

if your shaft isnt bent then dont replace it

balljoint just check it to see if it rotates fine and its tight

if its fuxxord then replace both...30 each from autozone
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

the guy at the shop said that the shaft was bent. i dont know if i need the ball joints also though or if i can keep the ones on there
    also would you guys probably recommend toyota parts as opposed to autozone

If you really don't have too much money just go to a junker and ask them for the proper control arm. It should be cheaper that way. When you get it maker sure you inspect if for any defects if you go this route.

Religion has many gods. For this tribe, this is their God.
    **New and improved wavy effect!!

Thread Information