CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 3S-GE Related Questions

Hey guys. This is my first post here, but I was a regular on Celica.net in the 4th Generation forum. I'm also active on www.4gcelica.net. Most of the gear-heads from Celica.net can be found over here, and this is the reason that I'm posting these questions. Now that that's out of the way....

I've got an 1987 Celica GTS with a 3S-GE in it, or, well, it was in it. The engine has 157,xxx miles on it and it has developed a bad case of rod knock due to being driven hard with only 2 quarts of oil in it. It also leaks oil out of most of the major gaskets (The reason it was driven that low on oil, I had no idea). Anyways, I'm doing a full rebuild on the engine, and I'd like to get some worry free miles out of it once I'm done. I'll be in college next year and this will most likely be the car that I have to drive then.

Anyways, in no particular order, here we go....

1. The clutch. The clutch that was in the car only had about 20K on it, and I didn't anticipate having to replace it. Unfortunatly, the thing is scored fairly badly, and it will have to be replaced. The engine will be mated to a S-54 transmission when it is back in the car (I know, I know, gear ratios). The S-54 is out of a 98 Celica GT. Anyways, I do plan on moderatly modifying the car with bolt on's after it works again. I really need a clutch that has mild(er) street manners and can hold, say, 150hp at the wheels? I seriously doubt that I'll reach that level. Any recommendations?

2. I need to replace every gasket in the engine, as it'll be torn down to the block. OEM or is there a better aftermarket gasket set? Any recommended places to buy this online?

3. If you guys had to rebuild one of these things, would you do anything different? This is the first engine I've done this too.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll have more as I tear the thing apart. Thanks for any help in advance.
    -Tom
    1987 Celica GTS
    1987 Celica GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BiscutWheels

1. Go for the ACT stage one clutch. It will hold about 220 Ft*lb of torque, more than you will see.

2. Just go to your local autoparts store and get a master gasket kit. it may come in two sets (bottom end and top end).

3. Change your piston rings while you're in there, its a cheap way to ensure good compression. You might need to get the cylinder walls rehoned or overbored a little depending on the wear, sped the money for this it will prove worth it in the long run (if you have to replace the pistons, stock replacements from toyota are aourd $50 a peice do all four or none at all). have the deck and head surfaced and cleaned too. Replace all bearings!!!!! use a good quality assembly lube. Make sure you have a very clean area to do this is in. make sure to torque everything down properly and in the right sequence. You should be fine if you purchase a chiltons and follow it to the T.

Good luck, ask more if you need to.

Nate

Thanks for the reply Nate.

I've finally gotten the engine halfway torn down. If anyone is interesed in it, here a link to the post on 4GC. 3S-GE Teardown

Anyways, I've got a few more questions now.

1. Valve's? It looks like some of the ones that I have aren't in the best of shape. Where can I find some for fairly cheap that will be more durable than the OEM one? I'd like to build a builtproof motor.

2. The head gasket. I'd like to go with a metal one, but I know there are different types on the market. Which one has been the best?

3. Does anyone make a lightweight pully system for a 3S-GE? I might as well throw some on there as I go.

4. The crank pully. The BGB lists an SST to use in order to get this off. Being as I have no access to the SST, what have you guys used to get this off? I still need to open up the block, and get the rest of the timing belt off.

That's all I have for now, thanks for any help. I should have the block apart within the next couple of days, and I'm sure that will just raise more questions.
    -Tom
    1987 Celica GTS
    1987 Celica GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information