CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MapECU2 tuned

Default MapECU2 tuned

Ok, so I took the supra in to get tuned today. Some good news and some bad news. The bad news is the built-in boost control would not function properly and I had already removed the AVC-R. I'll have to figure out why it's not working and correct it.

Meanwhile in order to tune it the tuner (Brad at EngineLogics) went ahead and bypassed it and just tuned with wastegate pressure (12PSI).

The GOOD news:

It made about the same HP (358 vs 371), a bit less Torque as it did on the 550cc injectors and VPC+GCC. Here's the thing.. the previous tune was at 17.5 PSI. The new one is at 12PSI. So the MAPECU2 has enough extra tuneability that almost the same power can be found with 5 less PSI. This means once I get the boost controller working and can get it to my target of 25-27 PSI, I should be making some real power. Sadly I had to get to work and couldn't stay for the actual pulls, but I do have a short clip of one of the prelim tuning runs with no boost. I'll also see about posting up the old dyno sheet with the VPC and the new one with the MAPECU.

But that's just cool, same dyno, same tuner. Only change in the car was 550cc/min injectors to 780cc/min injectors and VPC+GCC to MapECU2. I'd say it's a damn good piggyback for the $$.
    Last edited by T-spoon; 07-14-2007 at 12:42 AM.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Sweet! I've been waiting for you to review this man, thanks for the good news.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Congrats on getting it tuned. The EBC problem will probably be something easy. Here are a few things to check:

In MapCal2, Edit, ECU configuration. "EBC mode" should be checked if you're running an external wastegate. Drop down box for "Switched Output 2" should be set to EBC.

How was the solenoid plumbed?
    How was it wired? +12v : solenoid : "Switched Output 2"
    What were your EBC gain and sensitivity settings?

I'm seriously thinking about the MapECU2 in the near future. The built in boost control, auxiliary outputs, window switch, along with O2 adjust for closed loop tuning make it a very nice alternative to a standalone EMS.

I'm just concerned about the ignition tuning portion of it being a bit difficult since when you change the fuel table you essentially change the stock ECU's timing since it's reading from a different portion of the stock MAP. Wouldn't you have to change the timing table every time you make the slightest change to the fuel table?

How did you like the logging functions? Did they work pretty well?
    Is there anything the MapECU2 lacks that you wish it had?

Project ST204.5 has begun...

Well to be perfectly honest, I didn't get too in depth with using the mapcal software. I know basically how it works, but lacking an 02, all the real tuning was done on the dyno, and I sadly had to take off for work so didn't see any of it. As far as the EBC, it's wired per the instructions they give, one wire to switched 12 volt and the other to the switched output 2 on the mapecu. Apparantly he played with all of the EBC settings and nothing worked at all, and tried changing the vacuum to it around.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Thread Information