CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Suspension question (5th gen)

Does anyone know the difference between the stock 5th gen gt-s shocks and the replacement KYB ones? Is there a considerable difference? I was talking to the toyota tech at a dealer and he said that the stock ones are a lot better handling because they are made for the car. But then again, he is a dealer, so of course he would push the Toyota stuff... The prices for the OEM ones and the KYB ones are a huge difference, I got the rear ones priced out for around $300 dollars for two, not installed, and like $80 for the KYB ones from performancecenter.com...

So my question is; Is it worth the extra money to go back with the OEM ones, or would I be saving money and improve my handling going with the KYB GR2 gas struts?

I also saw Koni adjustables, but those are shit loads of money.

And one more quick question while I post this thread...

On 17" wheels on the 5th gen, what sidewall size is good to go with? Its a plus two wheel upgrade, so would that mean...

OEM- 15" = 50 sidewall
    +1- 16" = 45 sidewall
    +2- 17" = 40 sidewall ?

And with a 17" rim would I still be able to lower the car? Or would it interfere with the bottom of the spring in the rear, because I had 17s on it before, but with the wrong size sidewall, so I had about 1/2 an inch of space between the bottom of the strut and the top of the tire in the rear...

Anyone lower their car 1 1/2" with 17" rims on it? If so what sidewall size do you run for tires?

Ok... so it wasn't a quick question, but you know...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks C-Tech!!!

-Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 Celica GT-S -awaiting swap...

2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i -Daily

bump

c'mon guys i need some help! i don't wanna spend a grand and get the wrong stuff...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

GR2s are marginally stiffer than OEMs and have a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that for the price. As to the tire size... not really sure, check on www.tirerack.com

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Punch in your current tire size, then the sizes you think you should go to. Generally, you can maintain the same overall diametre (which is what governs steering and speedo accuracy) by dropping the aspect ratio by five and upping the tread width by 10 millimetres for every inch you increase the wheel size -- so 185/65/14 goes to 195/55/15. There are some points where that doesn't quite hold, which is where this calcucator comes in handy.

The tech section's also very informative.

As for the KYB GR-2, be aware that lifetime warrenty is limited to a 1.5" or smaller drop when lowering the car. And you have to register them, of course.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

is there plenty of room for the tire to clear if i drop it 1 1/2"? or is it pushing it with a 17" wheel

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

It's not the diametere of the wheel that could be the problem, it's the width and the offset. That said, people have run 17" with 3" drops, and 225 with 30 mm offsets without issues. I'm sure there are more extreme examples, but I can be sure of these numbers.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

I run 7x17" ET35 (i think) with 215/40/17 tyres, and a 30mm (inch and a fifth ) drop, no scrubbing or rubbing anywhere.

I know people in the UK run similar wheels with a larger drop, and they dont tend to report any issues either.

As for dampers, I've no experience with the KYB units on a celica, but my other half runs KYB excel G's on her lowered sera, and it handles great compared to stock.

I have the konis and can highly reccomend them, if you have the dollar.
    '79 TA40 Coupe

ex '93 st182 sprint car- 8 years owned- gone but not forgotten

thanks for the help, guys. i'm looking at a set of 17" wheels with a 215/40r17 tire, also. the rims have a 35mm offset which is the same as stock or whats recomended with my car. before the tires were like 245/45/r17 or something ridiculous like that, and they rubbed when i took sharp turns.

btw those wheels are for sale if anyone is interested. 17" Enkei RSVs gunmetal

hey Mr are u gonna run the KYBs, if so could u tell me how they handle cuz i get KYB struts w/ apex springs and kinda hopeing i didnt waste my money thanx
    those who follow the rules let their lives be ruled by fears and what ifs those like me like their lves in the moment and nvr look back

Yea depending on how much bank i'm willing to spend i might be getting the koni adjustables and not lower the suspension.. dunno though.

ok this might be a dumb question but how much were the KYB stuts/shocks cuz i got a full set of KYB shuts and shocks and apex springs from a friend for like $350
    those who follow the rules let their lives be ruled by fears and what ifs those like me like their lves in the moment and nvr look back

like average 40 bucks a shock. you can get complete sets on ebay for 170 plus shipping. you got ripped off... bummer.

ok but i get the shocks and struts and springs for 350 idk brand new shit didnt really car bout the price cuz the local toyota dealers a dick and told me there is no such thing as a 93 celica and then he told me to get my "civic" off his lot can u belive that shit man

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

email toyota USA and tell them about the dealer.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

Basic rule of thumb. Every time your rim size grows you tire size (sidewall) shrinks.

Example: my stock rims are 15" wheels with 215/50/15.

If you went 16" the tire size would be 215/45/16

17" 215/40/17

18" 215/35/18 (My current setup)

and so on!

This keeps your speedo in line and accurate. Also you can play around with the with. You could probably go wider the 215 on all sizes. I kinda wish i went 225 instead but the 215 actually seem wide enough already so they will do. Handles great.

She's sold
    !

Quote Originally Posted by celicaracing71
    ok but i get the shocks and struts and springs for 350 idk brand new shit didnt really car bout the price cuz the local toyota dealers a dick and told me there is no such thing as a 93 celica and then he told me to get my "civic" off his lot can u belive that shit man
    my b didn't see that you got springs with it. thats a decent price.

and for the honda mixup... ahhhh!

yea i will drop them an email about this and ok well i hope it all works out for u and im hopeing to have mine on somewheres around august 1st

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Celica
    thanks for the help, guys. i'm looking at a set of 17" wheels with a 215/40r17 tire, also. the rims have a 35mm offset which is the same as stock or whats recomended with my car. before the tires were like 245/45/r17 or something ridiculous like that, and they rubbed when i took sharp turns.

btw those wheels are for sale if anyone is interested. 17" Enkei RSVs gunmetal
    Well for one if you want some specs check out my cardomain. I have all laid out there. I also have 17x7's for sale with 215/45r/17 tires from Ventus on them. Check out my site an let me know.

She's sold
    !

Thread Information