CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Olskoolcel

Talking Need info/help with 3sgte swap

I have just bought a 4th gen. (1987) celica GT coupe and i want to swap a 3sgte into it. Im asking for any imput, info, warings, or opinions about the swap. This is my first car and all my friends make fun of it because of its year and make. They all have honda's and newer cars, so I want to show them up. I was looking around on this site and read about the 3sgte swap and thought it would be a good way to show them up. So please help me I would greatly apricate it.
    Thanks

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Read the faq at the top of the page "Thinking about swapping?"

Once you've done that, ask specifics, search, and know that it's worth it.
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

Olskoolcel

What is a good year to get a front clip of a 3sgte to go into a 87 celica GT? What would be the best tranny to get also?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Either the stock tranny or an MR2 tranny with LSD is fine. The MR2 tranny, has the benefit of LSD, obviously.

Year of 3SGTE is up to you. They vary in performance. The most commonly used one is the ST185 engine years 1990-1993, with ~225hp.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 ST205 WRC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Olskoolcel

If I was to get a 90-93 ST185 would i have to make my car AWD? Or could i leave it 2WD. What are some good sites to look for a ST185 clip? Would the MR2 tranny bolt right into my 87 celica GT or do I have to custom fit it?

YangS

If I was you I wait to save up atleast $6,000 before I began this project.

First off, I got a st215 motor and now its useless so I am storing it for a different vehicle. And bought a st185 front clip which is better then just buying the motor. I just wasted like 3,000 on the st215 motor. So think first before you buy a motor for toyota always try getting front clip.

The trans I don't know, so I just use my stock celica trans and got a max series rps clutch kit and fidanza fly wheel. No you can't go AWD the only way is FWD. Depends on your trans but I wouldn't use an AWD trans.

If this is your only car I wouldn't attempt this project because it would be hard to do without a second car to use. And expect to spend near $10,000 if you don't have all the nessacary parts. But I wouldn't worry about the money because it took me almost 4 months to finish the project and I save up money for 8 months ever since I start searching up about the 3sgte motor. So hopefully you have save atleast $3,000 or more for this project.

I also dislike Honda but I have many friends who own honda so I respect the honda. And in my opinion this is the fastest way to make celica go fast because this is like tuning an 7mgte motor. If anyone of you have done it before it is basically almost the same setup for tuning.

Can't use the awd tranny.
    A MR2 tranny will bolt in, but you will prob have some slight issues with the shift cables...
    Your tranny will bolt up, but you will need a stronger clutch, and I don't know if the 162 fwd trannys are as strong as the 184s.
    Ya, front clip is your best bet, especially since you have a 162.

As long as you do you're own labor, you shouldn't need more than like 4k. All of the mech bolt right in, so you're biggest worry is the wiring.

You can also get part of your $$ back [from a clip], by selling parts you don't need, like tranny, rearend, body parts, ect.

Have you check out the swap forum yet? Most of your wiring questions should be answered there, or if not, try www.alltrac.net
    Last edited by alltracman78; 02-10-2005 at 11:11 PM.

Olskoolcel

Thanks alltracman78 and YangS the info was helpful. Does anyone know of any sites for a st185 front clip? Please let me know I really want to do this swap.
    Last edited by Olskoolcel; 02-12-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Olskoolcel

I just found 3 front clips on the net. One is a st165 GT-Four, the second is a st185 Carloz Sainz Edition w/ water intercooler rally short-ratio gear box (what does that mean? and is it good?) forged pistons stock, and the third is a st185 GT4 Air Intercooler. What would be the best one to swap with if they are all in good condition? Get back at me asap please!

The ST185 Carlos Sainz would be my choice above anyother, Talk to ChrisD about it, he has a ST185 motor with the Carlos Sainz Water-Air intercooler in his 4th Gen ST165. He could help you out alot with the wiring.
    1990 GTS Sold

Olskoolcel

Thanks Keoni for the info.

Olskoolcel

I found a st165 3sgte GT-4 front clip for $950.00 Is that a good price? Go and look at the ad for it. Its at www.flashoptions.com under jdm swaps. Its on the second page top ad. About how much horse power would it have?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Olskoolcel
    I found a st165 3sgte GT-4 front clip for $950.00 Is that a good price? Go and look at the ad for it. Its at www.flashoptions.com under jdm swaps. Its on the second page top ad. About how much horse power would it have?
    Flashoptions has one of the WORST reputations in the industry. I would HIGHLY recommend you going somehwere else. Anywhere else really. I've heard a number of horror stories about them.

If you read the thread HERE there are a few company web sites listed.

ST165 will have ~190-195hp or so.

1994 ST205 WRC

Olskoolcel

Hey how would i put a picture of my car under my name or at the end of my reply?

User CP -> Edit Signature.

Olskoolcel

I know this makes me sound like an idiot but i still cant get it to work. I go to the pic that i want and "right click-copy" then in the box I "right click-paste" What am I doing wrong? Also I want to post my pic for the splash page, need help with that too.

Images

It needs to be hosted on a server somewhere. Once it is hosted on the internet, right click and "copy image location". Paste that URL in with the [ img ] / [ / IMG ] tags, without the spaces.

1994 ST205 WRC

Oh and on the record Not all MR2 Trannies have LSD.. Not even all 93 trannies have LSD. Dont just go buy a E153 from an MR2 and assume its gonna have LSD. Make sure it has LSD before you buy it if you care about that.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Olskoolcel

check the splash page submit your ride for April. I tried it their too but it didnt work

Quote Originally Posted by Olskoolcel
    i tried that chris but i dont think it worked
    You got 3 problems:

1) you didnt complete your img tag. Like Chris said at the beginning of the image its [img] then the image url [/img] You didnt put in the [/img]

2) you linked it to your photo album, not the indivudial picture. (to see the url to link it to, right click the picture in photobucket, and chose properties, that URL is your URL)

3) your picture is too big, you need to size it down. 640x480 is too big for your signature. See how small my signature is way small? Yours should be similiar. If you want I can crop it down for you.

This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Olskoolcel

Sure if you wouldnt mind. What should i do

Hows this

Right click and save that, reupload it to your photobucket and then follow the instructions to make that your siggy.

Olskoolcel

Lets see if it works

Olskoolcel

ok that works thanks a lot, but how do i get the picture to show and not the link like your MR2?

Go to Soshin Trade and talk with Efrain Ramos. Tell him Chris from New Jersey sent you. 1-800-543-2476.

Chris

Thread Information