CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Default Just put in polyurethane motor mount inserts

I've been actually not going to autocrosses because the engine would move so much my custom exhaust would "clunk" against something in the rear from all the movement. I decided it was time to do something about this as all that movement can't possibly be good for the car. I just put the polyurethane inserts in yesterday and there is a big difference in the throttle response when I drive it, it even shifts smoother. Before it would feel jerky when shifting gears because of the motor rocking back and forth. I can definitely feel the difference when I let of the gas to decelerate, or when I accelerate. The only drawback of polyurethane mount inserts is that there is extra vibration at idle. If you're still on the original mounts, I'd highly suggest either getting new OEM mounts from Toyota, probably around $100 for both front and rear, you can buy them from Toyota Todd or T-spoon . You can go the way I did and get polyurethane motor mount inserts, they were $50 shipped for both the front and rear, and they slip right into your old mounts.

I bought the inserts from kirkosaurus there's a big thread on 6gc.net about these inserts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

did you get the ones for the all trac?
    "Celica Alltrac turbo (1988-1993)"

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

No, the rear mount is different on the AllTrac. Send a PM to kirkosaurus since I don't think he has them listed on his site yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

alright sent him pm
    u are using both mounts on a 5sfe right?

We haven't listed them yet but you can get more info on the webpage here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~kirkosaurus...e_inserts.html
    Should have several sets of them made this coming week.

-kirk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 91 Celica GT-S
    alright sent him pm
    u are using both mounts on a 5sfe right?
    Yes I am

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

I have the Kirk mounts in my alltrac and had a set in one of my old MR2's. They have been great and I would recommend them to anyone.

payment sent
    for all u out there with messed up mounts i think its well worth the money
    ive filled my front with polyurathane but i can see its cracking this is a great option

Images

Can you get the old polyurethane out while leaving the old rubber? Because these basically slide into the stock mounts and fill in the voids. You won't be able to get them in if they're already filled.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

yeah i know i actually removed all the ruber the 2nd time i filled them with polyurathane that front one is solid i want it mainly for the rear which i havent touched but is worn ill probably get another at a junkyard to see if it feels better than the solid one

$200 for new mounts? How hard are they to put in?

I've got a couple of sets of the inserts ready to ship.

-kirk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Baffles
    $200 for new mounts? How hard are they to put in?
    If you wanted to replace all 4 with brand new toyota parts it would run you around $250. If you want to replace the front and rear which are the most important will be around $100. If it's just a daily driver I'd probably just do the OEM front and rear, since with the inserts there is more vibration at idle.

If anyone races their car or does a good amount of spirited driving I'd go with the polyurethane inserts, for $50 you can't go wrong. I was really surprised how much more responsive the throttle felt after installing them.

For installation here's the instructions: http://home.comcast.net/~kirkosaurus...nt_Inserts.doc
    They're the same for our cars. Definitely have someone help you with them, makes it much easier, it should take between 2-3 hours at the most. It took me around 2 hours but we took breaks here and there. And definitely spray all the bolts down with PB Blaster first.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

we have the kirkosaurus mounts in both the alltrac & MR2 & i highly recommend them.
    it made the biggest difference in the alltrac, as both the front & rear mounts were shot & you could physically feel the engine rock back when on the throttle.

i prefer kirk's inserts over the solid poly types b/c you still have some of the factory rubber mount to help absorb vibrations.
    the solid poly mounts can get harsh once you start adding poly bushings & stiffen up suspension bits in general.

*Alltrac Goddess*
    87 AW11 MR2 hardtop 4A-GZE swapped Super2 Stage 1 Complete
    90 ST185 Celica AllTrac 3S-GTE Vadar Turbo AWD Sith Power - lots of upgrades, more on the way
    99 SXV20 Camry 5S-FE Maul TRD Grocery Getter slow & reliable - soon to be a little less slow
    89 AW11 MR2 hardtop Sold, but living on in Super2

Quote Originally Posted by kirkosaurus
    We haven't listed them yet but you can get more info on the webpage here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~kirkosaurus...e_inserts.html
    Should have several sets of them made this coming week.

-kirk
    Listed them on the website now.
    I have a few sets ready to ship.

Will the inserts for the 5sfe work on a 4th gen 3sfe? if so i would be very interested in a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaymi
    Will the inserts for the 5sfe work on a 4th gen 3sfe? if so i would be very interested in a set.

I don't know. Someone familiar with that engine may be able to say if the engine mounts are the same or not.

can anyone tell me what size the bolt that holds the front engine mount together is. my car lacks the bolt and the engine moves around quite a bit...

Just thought I'd share my experience with these:

Showed up quickly, and Kirk's communication was wonderful.

Fast forward about 2 months and I'm putting them in at a friends house at the same time we're replacing my strut tops.

It took about 30 minutes to put in both front and rear mounts. Throttle response is much improved, though I would say the most marked improvement is noted when shifting. Keep in mind that my factory mounts were sagging almost .5", so even OEM replacement would have been beneficial, though not as improved in my opinion.

In cabin vibration, is very much increased compared to the stock mounts, but not enough to be overly concerned about.

Another note: I am using slightly lower profile tires with an more aggressive tread pattern. This could also be contributing to the cabin noise/vibration.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

You got paypal.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

now are these complete bushings or just the outside inserts? if it's just the outer inserts, isn't it a bad idea leaving your old cracked mounts?
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

how hard was for you, how long did it take etc? my motor shakes alot at idle and it does it until about 1500rpm. I guess this is normal if im on the original mounts?

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

seems like a good deal, might have to pick up a set by spring!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoralWarfare
    now are these complete bushings or just the outside inserts? if it's just the outer inserts, isn't it a bad idea leaving your old cracked mounts?
    Yep, they are just inserts. Nope, it isn't a bad idea. They actually are perfect for old cracked mounts. They hold everything together.

it prevents the movement that would be present in the worn rubber, right? sounds like a pretty good quickfix. i wonder if they would last longer with a new rubber bushing though.
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

Thread Information