CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone who welds aluminum?

im in need of a fix for my mr2's tranny. its currently sitting it doesnt move because i need to patch up a hole on the tranny. it had a patch and i removed it cuz i wanted to fix it right because it was leaking. i had changed the axel seal and drain plugs but those werent the issue. i bought the car and never knew about the patch untill i started to notice a leak. so if anyone near me can help me out here been trying to get someone who can come and weld this
    1990 Celica GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I recommend going to a radiator shop. I've had a few things patched up for relatively cheap. Call around and see if someone will take it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

What the hell happened there!!

Honestly, it'd be better if you take it off and disassemble the transmission and deliver a stripped and clean case. Then they'll have access to both sides for a proper fix. That's a huge hole though, you may want to source another case.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Holy crater Batman, id do what tim suggested.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

I'd just get a new case or a whole new transmission. You might get lucky and find someone who can weld aluminium, it's going to need to be clean and most likely the only way to clean it properly is going to be disassembly. At that point you'll probably come out cheaper to just buy a replacement.

Ive got an extra case... Actually its the whole damn transmission, but its an extra case. Ill give it to you for the cost of shipping. Prolly cost you 100 bucks ish.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Ive got an extra case... Actually its the whole damn transmission, but its an extra case. Ill give it to you for the cost of shipping. Prolly cost you 100 bucks ish.
    You should definitely take this deal, as long as Luni is actually able to ship it
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

you may want to try these: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...ods-44810.html
    i havent tried harbor frieght's brand but i've tried others and they work decent.

Quote Originally Posted by T-spoon View Post
    You should definitely take this deal, as long as Luni is actually able to ship it
    i keel joo!
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gtfourdreams View Post
    you may want to try these: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...ods-44810.html
    i havent tried harbor frieght's brand but i've tried others and they work decent.
    Those suck. I tried to fill a bolt hole on my transmission case using those. Propane torch my ass. I tried 3 kinds of torches and couldn't get any of them to heat up the metal to the required temps.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Even though those say they can melt with a propane torch, it's not the best solution. I would source a new case. Aluminum is one of the most temperamental metals to try and weld. Unless someone knows what yet are doing it will just turn out looking horrible with a bunch of peroxidy (trapped gas and dirt that causes pin holes) in it.

Thread Information