CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member liplip is on a distinguished road

Default FACT OR FICTION: Platinum Spark Plugs don't need to be gap

Is it true that platinum spark plugs are already gapped for the specific car?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my car comes with platinums, and i have a little sticker thing that says no gapping required

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm confused because the guy at the parts store says that even mechanics don't gap platinum plugs yet when i looked at the packaging it says "IMPORTANT: gap to the manufacturer's setting of the car".

Default Fiction, but rarely need to adjust gap

Most of the spark plugs you buy are pre gapped. You can still check the gap. I'd be surprised to find one out of adjustment, but it happens. Just be sure to adjust gap gently using the ground strap only. Platinum and Iridium sparks recommend no adjustment because the fine tip of the electrode can be damaged. Just don't adjust gap by prying the ground strap with something between the electrode and ground strap.
    Last edited by davmac; 05-15-2007 at 07:27 PM.

i just get mine from nissan....so.....

Yeah, from the dealership plugs are pre-gapped, you don't touch'm, though checking the gap, as was said, is not a bad thing to do. I wouldn't go by the idea that a particular kind of plug is always gapped because who knows, some manufacturers might not, as far as Toyota goes, if it's OEM from the dealer, it's gapped.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Check and adjust if neccesary, 50% of the time mine are off

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

Dont ever try and gap an iridium. Dont do it.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

I always use NGK V-powers. I check the gap on them every time and I've never gotten a bad one. What are you guys using?

I've never herd anything about platinums in particular not having to be gapped, but like has alredy been mentioned. Most come pre gapped. They didn't before but lots of idiots would just throw them in without checking and then say "This brand is shitty, They made me misfire like crazy. Bought some from the dealer and didn't have a single problem" Taking the end user out of the equation always helps.

Resident Certified Toyota Mechanic Rix86 is on a distinguished road

you run the chance of damaging the platinum electrode.
    ae86+3sgte+supra=fun........

Failed Alltrac user InitialD93 is on a distinguished road InitialD93's Avatar
    InitialD93 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! InitialD93 helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! InitialD93 helped get Play's clutch job done.

iridiums and plugs with multiple straps (like Bosch +2 or +4) are the only plugs that are NOT gapped... all other plugs CAN be gapped and should be checked before install... my AC Delco plugs i just put in the Malibu were off up to .15 suggested gap.... always check ur gap if they are gappable plugs
    Dustin, Toyota Tech
    1990 All Trac w/ RC bumper, converted to 93 spec
    2010 Toyota Corolla S
    1979 Malibu (more go fast, less suck)
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

My Denso Iridiums never came correctly gapped , they are way off by a bunch. I have to gap them but be ubber carefull

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

I never check, maybe I should get a gauge sometime. I always freakin lose them within a day of buying them.
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

I always end up regapping my irridiums.....

You just have to be careful.

Luni is right here. The nature of Iridium spark plugs means that they are able to utilise a larger gap setting while actually requiring less voltage and straining the ignition system less. If you *have* to regap Iridium spark plugs if misfire occurs due to the gap being too large then do so with extreme care.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

So heres the best question, What gauge do you all use to measure your gaps? The little wheel thing from auto zone or a real gap tester and a pair of needle nose pliers?

InitialD93 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! InitialD93 helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! InitialD93 helped get Play's clutch job done.

feeler guages FTW

but the autozone thing is usuallt within .05 of correctness so in a pinch u can make it work
    Dustin, Toyota Tech
    2010 Toyota Corolla S
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

What is the correct gap for 1990 celica gt?

.043"
    Dustin, Toyota Tech
    2010 Toyota Corolla S
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDRFT
    I always use NGK V-powers. I check the gap on them every time and I've never gotten a bad one. What are you guys using?

I've never herd anything about platinums in particular not having to be gapped, but like has alredy been mentioned. Most come pre gapped. They didn't before but lots of idiots would just throw them in without checking and then say "This brand is shitty, They made me misfire like crazy. Bought some from the dealer and didn't have a single problem" Taking the end user out of the equation always helps.
    FYI the v-powers (bkr6e-11) are not platinum plugs they are copper. the correct plaltnium plug for ngk is bkr6ep-11 they are about 7.99 a piece.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    Luni is right here. The nature of Iridium spark plugs means that they are able to utilise a larger gap setting while actually requiring less voltage and straining the ignition system less. If you *have* to regap Iridium spark plugs if misfire occurs due to the gap being too large then do so with extreme care.
    How exactly do they conduct better than copper?

I use them because the tip is MUCH thinner and tends to take longer to foul out.

I was referring to gapping out of the box. I always check mine and they're usually off.

Jeremy, how do you gap them?

Its my understanding, you run the risk of damaging the electrode, and then the thing breaks under extreme heat and boost, and you got a piece of hardened iridium bouncing around in your combustion chamber scoring the fuck out of your cylinder head.

Im told if you ARE going to gap them, use a pair of sensitive needle noses with electrical tape wrapped around the tips so as not to damage the plug itself.

Its just really hard to gap them cause the center piece is like needle thin and measurements against it are hard to get accurate.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

I checked the gap of the platinum spark plugs out of the package and they're not gapped correctly.I guess that answered my question.This is the first time i've ever changed the plugs since i'm just learning the "how to" of cars.I drove the car after changing the plugs and there is a noticeable difference in the reaction....no more hesitation or bogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Luni
    Jeremy, how do you gap them?

Its my understanding, you run the risk of damaging the electrode, and then the thing breaks under extreme heat and boost, and you got a piece of hardened iridium bouncing around in your combustion chamber scoring the fuck out of your cylinder head.

Im told if you ARE going to gap them, use a pair of sensitive needle noses with electrical tape wrapped around the tips so as not to damage the plug itself.

Its just really hard to gap them cause the center piece is like needle thin and measurements against it are hard to get accurate.
    1-I don't gap used plugs.

2-I don't use needle nose pliers [either too thick or if thin enough they tend to twist instead of bend the ground].

3-I use either a little tool on the end of my gap gauges [I'll TRY to remember to get a pic when I'm at work] or I GENTLY tap the ground on a secure metal table, frequently checking gap until it's right.

to gap a plug you buy this little ring (like $0.75) from autozone or advance and you put it on the bottom and work the plug up to wherever you need to gap it to. Plugs now-a-days are coming pregapped, but it never hurts to double check

Thread Information