CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Default multiple 5SFE water pump failures -- help?

This is an expensive problem.

1990 GT, 5SFE, daily driver, no racing.

I changed my water pumpt when I changed the timing belt at the 200,000km mark.

Four years and 55,000 km later (hadn't been driving a lot) the water pump managed to delubricate itself. You could actually hear the metal rubbing against itself, which is what alerted me.

Several hundred dollars in labour later, I've got a new water pump. It's started making a very similar knocking/scraping sound within the last month.

My mechanics can barely believe it. They were surprised when the replacement water pump went and say they've NEVER seen two Toyota replacements go in quick succession like this. While it's still under warrenty, I'd like to make sure if possible it doesn't keep happening. I'd give you the pump brand, but having a brain stall at the moment -- mechanics say they are the standard replacement part for Toyotas.

Anybody ever had something similar happen? Was there a problem in the engine causing the water pumps to fail?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

toyota parts like toyota cars usually last a while

make sure it IS a toyota pump...go to the dealer yourself and buy a water pump and have them install it.

you don't want to use 'toyota equivelant' parts for something like your water pump...

Sometimes a pump will fail because the timing belt is over torqued, which causes alot of strain on the pump pulley, wearing it out sometimes...

hope this helps... honestly besides a bad install i don't know what it could be.

-nuke
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TRDmkII

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearhappines
    toyota parts like toyota cars usually last a while

make sure it IS a toyota pump...go to the dealer yourself and buy a water pump and have them install it.

you don't want to use 'toyota equivelant' parts for something like your water pump...

Sometimes a pump will fail because the timing belt is over torqued, which causes alot of strain on the pump pulley, wearing it out sometimes...

hope this helps... honestly besides a bad install i don't know what it could be.

-nuke
    ditto, never use anything but toyota parts espescially when its an expensive repair. overtightening can cause the pump to fail prematurely and lack of coolant flushes can also cause that type of problem.

Like they said, use only factory parts...
    Timing belt is spring tensioned, so it's doubtful it's too tight.
    What kind of coolant/mix are you using?
    It's best to use Toyota red and distilled water, at least 50/50.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Distilled water? What's that?

I'v never used anything but tap water for everything in our cars, including the batteries.

Just bugging you guys. Our tap water is from rain; it's so ridiculously soft it doesn't even leave spots when left to dry. You literally can't buy distilled water in local autoparts stores -- it's unnecessary.
    Last edited by Galcobar; 02-05-2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Quote Originally Posted by alltracman78
    Like they said, use only factory parts...
    Timing belt is spring tensioned, so it's doubtful it's too tight.
    What kind of coolant/mix are you using?
    It's best to use Toyota red and distilled water, at least 50/50.

??????????????????

The T-belt is not spring tensioned. It has a spring to help set the tension upon installation. But once installed and the tensioner pulley bolt is tightened that's it. The springs does nothing else after that point.

Distilled H2o is a good idea, but mainly to reduce deposit build up in the cooling system that could be used for science experaments. Toyota red is the only thing I would use along with a Toyota H2o pump, which is actually produced by a subcontractor (Aisin (SP?)) for toyota. The box will say toyota all over it but the pump will have Aisin stamped in it. The technical argument for the coolant could be that the H2o pump O-rings/seals may ude a silicone based rubber that is only compatable with that coolant, but I'm not a mad scientist ranting and raving to proove that point. One more thing to consider besides proper installation would be how good are the idler and tensioner pulley bearings? But with a proper instalation and factory parts I see no reason for you to be experiancing these kinds of problems, something is wrong.

living to see 1.5 lateral G's in my autocross car

Images

If I forget to say it later, thanks to all of you. There have been several suggested reasons I would never have considered otherwise.

Doc -- When that first bad water pump was replaced, we also changed the idler and tensioner pulleys. No labour cost, and they were making noise enough to suggest the bearings had degreased themselves.

From what I understand, Toyota's red coolant is simply designed to last longer, about 45,000 miles, before needing a change and is fairly rare even in Toyota dealerships. I'll ask them about it when I go in to pick up a part tomorrow.

Thread Information