CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

Post Thinking about Modding your Celica? Look here first.*56k Warning*

Since you’re reading this thread. It means you’ve come to this area of the forum with the intention of fixing, modding, or just updating the look of your Celica. This guide will for the most part focus around the 5th generation Celica since that’s what most of our members own. If there is enough of a demand I can possibly write one for the 4th or 6th gens also since there’s a handful of you guys too.

The main reason for this is because a lot of people are told to “keep the Celica for looks” but if you’re like a lot of us you have an early 90’s tomato red paint job with foggy or peeling clear coat probly a few dings and dents or even a messed up bumper or fender. I’ll take you through most of the steps or try my best to educate you on the topic at hand.

The first step to deciding what to do first is to decide what your end goal will be. Are you looking for an over the top show car? (4-8 piece body kit, Engine dressup, Custom interior and aftermarket offset wheels). A stock Celica, the exact way it came to you from the factory. A JDM conversion (CS or GT4). Maybe even mix and match to make your own unique style.

The best way I explain “Custom” aesthetics on a car is that you’re making a sandwich. I love Ham and Cheese… It makes a tried and true sandwich that most people are going to like, Some people will like Bananas and Peanut butter, A little more specific of a taste that not everyone is going to like. Now if your going to make a Ham, Peanut butter, cheese and banana sandwich you might be the only one who likes it. Point being: a lot of things look really good, but not all of them go together well. Try to think of the car in an overall perspective not part by part.

I. “What Makes My Celica Different?”
    I’ll start with chassis and trims. If you’re going for a stock look this is where you should start. Chassis and Trim decided what engine and drive your Celica came with. Also dictating aesthetic options like painted mirrors and molding (Some ST’s were given the dealer upgrade of matching the mirrors and door moldings.) or Mud flaps and stock spoilers.

*image taken from Wikipedia.

II. “How Did My Celica Look On The Showroom Floor?”
    A great question to ask yourself. The biggest mistake I see with body mods is people putting expensive FRP, Urethane, or Fiberglass body kits. Over faded, scratched, dented overall weathered bodies. They usually defend it with “I’m painting the whole car anyway” Whereas a decent OEM replica paint job will run you $5000 or more when 80% of us can restore your OEM job and paint match your new body panels for around 3-500$ or less depending on your knowledge or shop access.

Clean your car! I can’t say this enough. These projects can be done over a Saturday afternoon or a weekend by Taking out all of your interior panels and carpet, giving the entire interior a deep clean. Wet sanding, clay baring and buffing your paint .I’ll explain all of this in detail later. Each of these projects will yield you great results over minimal amounts of time. They will make you more comfortable in your car and give you a great sense of accomplishment when your friends don’t believe you that your car is 16 years old!

Here is a list of OEM paint codes I’ll try to follow them up with a picture of them actually on a celica. I prefer to use forum Members cars so If I’m missing a pic of your car. Please private message me with a photobucket or album of your celica pics and I will add them.

*Find paint codes for all gen celicas at http://www.toyotareference.com/#CE

Almond Beige Pearl. 91’-93’
    [IMG]http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/amanda/4.jpg[IMG\]

Aquamarine Pearl. 92’-93’

Black. 90’-93’

Bluish Grey Metallic 90’-93’

Dark Blue Metallic 91’-93’

Light Blue Pearl 91’-93’

Medium Blue Pearl 90’-91’

Medium Red Pearl 91’-93’

Prussian Red Pearl 92’-93’
    (Need one!)

Super Red 90’-93’

Super White 90’-93’

Teal Metallic 92’-93’

Turquoise Metallic 92’-93’

(I’ll eventually try to get pictures of all colors in Coupe, Hatchback, and Vert trims. I would love to get them in Alltrac and CS also if possible. I may add euro and Japanese colors to the list later)

So now you’ve already detailed your car, and your left with a few pesky deep scratches? Maybe a spot or two of body filler. Nothing worthy of repainting the entire car. www.paintscratch.com sells paint in any form you need it from scratch fix pens, aerosol cans, to gallons of sprayable material. You may even be able to find a can of duplicolor or another fix paint at your local autozone, pepboys, wal-mart or any of the usual suspects. Pens are the easiest to find locally the aerosol cans are more of a specialty lately ive noticed stores stocking our colors less and less as of late.

If you’re in doubt that your car is not the oem paint code (maybe a shade darker or lighter) it could be an alternate. Alternate colors come into play when a manufacturer splits production between a few plants. Say there is one in NY and the other is in CA. Both will get there paint supplied in bulk from a more local source. From doing this sometimes it will result in a different color due to different materials used for the mixes. They tend to be very close the only difference being warm or cool side tones. Heavier or lighter micas. Now if you’re positive your not an alternate or OEM code. You can always bring a fender or the car to your body shop or paint supplier. There they can put the piece under a spectrophotometer which will gauge the color in primaries to closest match possible.

[SIZE]III. Body Styling. OEM Bumpers, Lights and Options.[/SIZE]
    Between all of the trims to choose from there were the ST, GT, Convertible and Alltrac.

ST: Narrow Bodied Coupe.
    Length: 176 in.
    Width: 67.1 in.
    Height: 50.6 in.
    Wheel Base: 99.4 in.
    Curb Weight: approx. 2500 lbs.

GT:Narrow Bodied Coupe
    Curb Weight: approx. 2844 lbs.

GT: Narrow Bodied Hatchback/Liftback/Fastback
    Length: 173.6 in.
    Height: 50.4 in.
    Curb Weight: approx. 2866 lbs.

GTS: Wide Bodied Hatchback/Liftback/Fastback
    Length: 174 in.
    Width: 68.7 in.
    Height: 50.4 in.
    Curb Weight: approx. 2943 lbs.

All-Trac: Wide Bodied Hatchback/Liftback/Fastback
    Length: 174 in.
    Width: 68.7 in.
    Curb Weight: approx. 3219 lbs.

Convertible GT: Narrow Bodied Convertible Coupe.
    Height: 51.2 in.
    Curb Weight: approx. 3020 lbs.

Now that you’ve read over the factory measurements of all trims you see that were all built off of a variant chassis of the XT18X design. The basic 5th generation celica. (a list of chassis codes and definitions can be found Here) Most body panels will be interchangeable. Aside from some coupe to hatchback pieces that need to be verified. To my knowledge the rear of the coupe is 2’in wider than the hatchback. My reasoning for this is 3door body kits need to be cut and lengthened 2’ inches to fit the rear. The other main difference is weight, which will only bother you if your modifying your exterior for weight reduction.

Since we’ve established that most body panels are interchangeable I will list them by category not year. I will put the years equipped with them. All parts will be OEM and accompanied by a Part # if possible. Feel free to add any missing numbers you might have. (I will eventually add more once I get a more reliable source for part #’s)

*Front Fascias (They are more commonly referred to as bumper cover or Fascia because unlike classic cars they are simply a cosmetic front for the crash bar behind it that is the real safety point of your front bumper assembly)

90’-91’ AT180, ST184
    Part #: 52119-20914

92’-93’ AT180, ST184
    Part#: 52119-20931

90’-93’ ST185 (Also came equiped on the ST184 GT-S 92'-93') - addition by Grayscale
    Part #: ?

90’-93’ Carlos Sainz GT-4 (CS or RC)
    Part #-
    Fascia: 52119-20929
    Reinforcement 1: 52021-20210
    Reinforcement 2: 52029-20020
    Inserts-
    Left Vent: 53104-20030
    Right Vent: 53103-20030
    Grille-
    Top: 53101-2004
    Bottom: 53102-20030

w/ Fogs

90’-93’ JDM St185

**Lighting

90’-93’ OEM side markers (Never available to the US)

90’-91’ Tail lights 3door

90’-91’ Coupe Tail Lights
    Part #:?

92’-93’ Hatchback Tail Lights.

92’-93’ Coupe Tail Lights.

90’-91’ Fog Lights.

92’-93’ Fog Lights.

90’-93’ ST185 fog lights.

90’-93’ JDM ST185 Fog Lights.

90’-91’ JDM Tail Light Vents.
    Part#: ?

92’-93” JDM Tail Light Vents.

****http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...ht=vented+tail
    A thread concerning part numbers for the tail light inserts.

90’-93’ JDM Corner Lights.
    Part #:
    Right: 81610-20391
    Left: 81620-20391

[SIZE]***Hoods.[/SIZE]
    90’-93’ All-Trac
    Part #: ill post it in a day or Alltrac.net’s part number page is down.
    http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1176165333

90’-93 GT-4 RC
    Part #: Same as above.

***Wheels, Wings & Things.
    OEM Alloy Wheels

Another set of OEM type Toyota wheels, I don’t know if they came from a celica or not though.

OEM alloys with inserts.

OEM alloys with center caps

**I left out the OEM hubcaps and steelies because lets face it. No one has them.

OEM 3 Piece Liftback Spoiler

OEM 1 Piece Liftback Spoiler

OEM 3 Piece Coupe spoiler

OEM 1 Piece Coupe Spoiler (Grayscale just informed me of it's existence so I will add a pic as soon as I can find one)

****Interior! (Almost at the end!)
    Your OEM 5th gen interior came in 3 flavors.
    (These aren’t the best interior shots, So get yours spotless and post up some pics!)

Charcoal Grey

Wine Red

Ocean Blue

Very few interior changes took place between the years, The steering wheel in All-tracs say “All-trac” on them. The GT-S and AT models came with thicker bolstered seats and vinyl backs. They were both also offered in a leather package. GT-S and AT also came with automatic climate controls. Gauge cluster for the GT-S came with an additional voltmeter and AT’s came with boost in it’s place. IIRC.

Over time I will come back and add more pictures and parts as I find them. So hopefully now by the end of this you’re left with a great looking celica worthy of a showroom floor regardless of the 200k you have on that 5s!

If you’re at the cleanest, closest to OEM state, and still looking to add a little more to your celica. Part two, Aftermarket and DIY modification will be next. Good Luck on all of your projects. Keep us posted on yours and I’ll keep you all upto date on mine!

-Ezzo
    Last edited by Colossus20v; 04-10-2007 at 12:42 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

Adding a 2nd Post just to Break It up a Little & incase anyone skiped a large chunk. Great places to find any of these parts are.

1sttoyotaparts.com
    car-parts.com
    rinkya.com(may take some getting used to)
    Your local Junk yard
    Toyota Dealers
    certifit.com
    and
    C-tech Buying and Selling!

EDIT: If any mod can add a 56k warning to the thread title :lolhittin I missed that part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

a really good write up Philly!

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Thats awsome! Good work.

Thanks for the comments and help everyone. I'll try to clean it up and add thumbnails later on this week so that I can make it a little cleaner and more bandwidth friendly.

There was a darker blue interior on the fifth gens wasn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by 1990CelicaGT-S
    There was a darker blue interior on the fifth gens wasn't there?
    To my knowledge they all started the darker blue but the test of time turned them into the light blue were all acustomed to.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

*Cough cough* STICKY *Cough cough*
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

KotahGTS

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Um, I've got some JDM Celica Seats that were a different color scheme than the ones shown above:

Here is an interior shot

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

That would be the charcoal grey wouldn't it? I'm acctually sure there was two shades of blue interior that went into the Celica. I'll see if I can't get some pictures.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I was actually thinking the seats and the door inserts.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

I thought it was all the plastic as well. I'll have to look again.

Thanks for the Sticky guys!

I'll redo the interior section, I might break it up to be a bit more user frendly. They look really close to the GT-S seats. Just looks like different material.

Do you know what they came out of joey? Looks like an alltrac since it has what looks to be a boost gauge in the cluster.

Also is the door light in the kick panel on JDM celicas?
    Last edited by PhillyDRFT; 04-10-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyDRFT

I'll redo the interior section, I might break it up to be a bit more user frendly. They look really close to the GT-S seats. Just looks like different material.

Do you know what they came out of joey? Looks like an alltrac since it has what looks to be a boost gauge in the cluster.

They are the same as the GT-S/GT4 seats except that they are cloth, all seats as well as the door inserts. They could have come from a Jap/Euro GT-i or a GT4.

As for the door light, yes its there too (mine still working )

BTW, the GT-i came with the 90’-93’ ST185/184 USDM bumper in some countries.
    It seems to me that the bumper cover selection on the Celica was based on where the car would be sold. Closed bumpers covers for cold climates while the more open bumper covers where used in hot climates.. my car would work a lot hotter if it had been sold with the USDM AT180 bumper

92 ST182 Euro/JDM Spec
    2nd Gen 3S-GE

LIKE A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER LIFE GOES FASTER NEAR THE END

I think I may have the one piece coupe wing

Senior Member cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light

Default JDM Celica Seats

These seats are identical to mine, '91 GT4 RC model I think this trim colour scheme is unique to the RC model.

my god the wine red interior is 80s to the max so glad I got the dark blue lol

Images

JDM ST185. This was a picture of the car that was used as 1slocelis half-cut.

ST185 seats and GT-S seats are the same. It's just these guys are a different color pattern. But if you look the door inserts are the same color as the seats so I'd say that's part of the interior and not just seats.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

OEM 1 Piece Coupe Spoiler (Grayscale just informed me of it's existence so I will add a pic as soon as I can find one)
    It does exist, I will get a picture of it for you. It looks similar to a whale tail. I am not sure what trim levels it was available on, but I have seen it on a `92-`93 AT180.

Great job! I am glad this is stickied. It should be.
    Last edited by Murgatroy; 04-10-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

That would be cool to see.

hmm I have a pic of what looks like a wangan wing on a GT-4 but i figured it's aftermarket. I'm going to revise the thread again sometime this week, I'll take everyones input into account.

I wanna see some clean ass celicas from you guys!

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Took me a bit, but here is your one piece coupe spoiler.

Last edited by Murgatroy; 04-22-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

CelicaTech Supporter 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST's Avatar
    90CelicaST has donated to the forums! 90CelicaST helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. 90CelicaST helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

^Mine isn't the same as that. Mine folds down at the end instead of looping toward the front. This is on a '90 ST

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I don't like people.

I don't like going out.

That is why my friends are all on the interwebz. That way when I don't feel like being sociable, I just close the window.

I will try and dig out the part# for these tail lights, if they can be found anywhere without ripping too much apart...

since this is my car anyway...

Thread Information