CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1

    Default Finished Custom STB w/Pix

    I've been fooling with this at work for a while trying to come up with a good design that doesn't cost a crapload to make. I ended up using stainless pipe, threads, and links, with a steel foot painted black. I wanted to use aluminum pipe but for the right wall thickness it was too costly. I still need to polish it but haven't gotten around to buying more polishing pads yet. This was more of a project for me than it is usefull, I don't autox or drive aggressively often enough for it to be really functional, but I thought you might enjoy it-


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  2. #2

    Default

    Looks preatty nice. How much did it cost you to make?

  3. #3

    Default

    I used bits and pieces at work, so nothin but time. It was dark before I got my ass out of bed in case the pitures look odd, it was like 8pm when I took them.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  4. #4
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT will become famous soon enough PhillyDRFT's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia / Bristol PA
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    looks pretty good! OT: is that a 3sge exhaust manifold I spy?

  5. #5

    Default

    Yep, but it's not doing a whole lot of good right now. i got a couple of stripped threads in the head I'm too lazy to fix, so it's not sealing well.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #6

    Default

    looking nice, love how you keep your engine bay clean.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celicatrd93
    ...love how you keep your engine bay clean.
    Ha ! I guess the pics did it a little justice. It'll be cleaner when I get that frickin oil leak stopped.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  8. #8
    CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    4,033
    Images
    203

    Default

    Nice work!!

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks!
    Saw this one on eBay and it made me laugh, it's either a stock photo and not the actual item or it's a ripoff. The mounting holes are completely wrong-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4707419&rd=1,1

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  10. #10

    Default

    I often wonder about why there's a ball link on each end of a strut brace, it allows movement, and I thought that was what a strut brace was to stop?

    Still, most manufacturers seem to have them...

    ???
    1990 Series 5 Celica GT-4
    Needs: New brakes. New gas struts for rear hatch AGAIN >_< Repairs to drivers side after "adventure" with bridge.
    Wants: Tien coilovers. Audio system (planning at the moment), found System 10 door panels, system ten amp, need speakers and head unit and wiring and and and...


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  11. #11

    Default

    Yea, ball link, rodeye, end link, it's got a lot of names, but I'm with you, no idea why you would want that unless the fitment was off and you needed a little play to get it in there, so I didn't use one on mine. If you look at a quality example like the Cusco, it is perfectly rigid at the ends, as it is welded solid to the foot mounts.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  12. #12

    Default

    Haha, good point. I never thought of that.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by =cJ=
    I often wonder about why there's a ball link on each end of a strut brace, it allows movement, and I thought that was what a strut brace was to stop?

    Still, most manufacturers seem to have them...

    ???
    Adds another place to markup costs and to make up for sloppy manufacturing. Here is a strut tower brace I currently build for Starlets:






    Also heim joints fool people to thinking they need to preload the bar to work.

    Also with most under hood braces being of such small diameter ( due to engine/hood clearances) it's worse having jointed since the load capacity drops due to the fixity ratio being lower. Fixity ratio is used to determine buckling in structures and those with jointed ends will buckle first.

    grayscale, very nice brace, nice touch with the stainless bar. I despise oval aluminum bars since they scratch so easy and honestly they could be round and do the same thing... The thicker the bar looks by being oval is deceiving since it's going to buckle in the thinnest area (funny enough most ends are jointed in a fashion that allows this to happen). One thing I would change is by adding more material on the strut top mounts to where you attached the rod end to. Otherwise it looks pretty damn good.

    Edit: celicatrd93, your car is the exact same color code as mine (Lexus Pearl White, exact number slips my mind though).
    Last edited by Conrad_Turbo; 03-14-2007 at 08:54 PM.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  14. #14

    Default

    Thanks Conrad. I agree, most strut bars sold en mass are for looks and are about as weak as the stock ones we have. Ovals just aren't as strong as the tried and true round. I wanted to kepp my o.d. small for clearence issues so I went with a much thicker i.d. to help make up. I to wanted to add more material to the foot area but have yet to come up with a good way to do it. Nice work on yours btw, that things a beast! My threads are also both right hand, as opposed to left and right, so it is not possible to preload it, I strongly agree on that too, it is not necessary to preload a brace for it to work. If you do, then I suppose it is possible to mess up your camber. I feel my design is more for the daily driver who might go to the track or mountains on occaision, thus the clevis/pinned ends which can be easily removed for service reasons. I am currently working on a solid tri-point design to replace the current stock piece, so stay tuned!

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    Thanks Conrad. I agree, most strut bars sold en mass are for looks and are about as weak as the stock ones we have. Ovals just aren't as strong as the tried and true round. I wanted to kepp my o.d. small for clearence issues so I went with a much thicker i.d. to help make up. I to wanted to add more material to the foot area but have yet to come up with a good way to do it. Nice work on yours btw, that things a beast! My threads are also both right hand, as opposed to left and right, so it is not possible to preload it, I strongly agree on that too, it is not necessary to preload a brace for it to work. If you do, then I suppose it is possible to mess up your camber. I feel my design is more for the daily driver who might go to the track or mountains on occaision, thus the clevis/pinned ends which can be easily removed for service reasons. I am currently working on a solid tri-point design to replace the current stock piece, so stay tuned!
    More power to ya man. I reverse engineered the OEM one a LONG time ago and just haven't found time to build a stronger tri point bar. Maybe I will in the future, but the biggest issue I have is cutting end plates... That'll change once I build my CNC plasma cutting table though (which won't be for a while since I'm...er...fiance is planning a wedding Haha).

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  16. #16
    CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    4,033
    Images
    203

    Default

    Conrad - I would really love a tri-mounted bar for mine, one that would fit over the 3SGTE.

    Just a side note.

  17. #17

    Default

    Yep , cutting those footplates is a pita. I do them by hand with the plasma.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  18. #18
    Junior Member Rio_Cyber is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Croatia, Europe
    Posts
    85

    Default

    i have access to a cnc cutter ... ,



    just most go and draw them in autocad first - hat COULD take a while , if only shiping isn`t such hugh pita (cost wise), we could join our strenghts

  19. #19

    Default

    Holy gigantuan cutting table! I actually think it would be cheaper and faster to have them made on a turret press.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  20. #20

    Default

    Conrad, would you be interested in making something similar to these????

    Rear three point strut brace:


    Front three point strut brace:


    Not quite as important, but it would be nice:
    Side strut tower brace


    If so, im sure alot of people, including myself, would buy them...
    ^Ted^



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  21. #21

    Default

    Been wanting to for a looooong time... The only issue is the initial investment of getting endplates cut, since anything cut out of metal sheet is always sent out of house to get lasercut. However in the future I will have a CNC plasma cutting table so then I can pump out prototypes in no time.

    If I did build the braces it'd be only the front and rear. I'd probably star the rear brace first since it'd be quite easy to make due to the lack of clearances needed. The side braces make me laugh since it's like 1/2" away from the stock sheet metal, I'd hope to god our chassis' don't flex that much that we need a brace so close to prevent the sheet metal from buckling or tearing. Personally I haven't seen any real word results from a brace like that, I think it's just another bar that a company can sell to make money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Denver_whiteST185
    Conrad, would you be interested in making something similar to these????

    Rear three point strut brace:


    Front three point strut brace:


    Not quite as important, but it would be nice:
    Side strut tower brace


    If so, im sure alot of people, including myself, would buy them...

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  22. #22
    CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    4,033
    Images
    203

    Default

    Conrad - I would be interested in sending some payments to help with the initial costs for the front and rear bars. Let me know if this is a possibility, PM me with what you would be in need of to get it off the ground and lets talk about it.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trance4c
    Conrad - I would be interested in sending some payments to help with the initial costs for the front and rear bars. Let me know if this is a possibility, PM me with what you would be in need of to get it off the ground and lets talk about it.
    It's not so much cost as it is time...I have no problem investing a few hundred or thousand in something (I've done that for smaller scale stuff). It's just the time...I am VERY precise and that takes time. I know for a fact my work is of higher quality than Cusco, JSpeed and other big manufactures. However they have many people and I do everything from design, building jigs, running for supplies, dealing with vendors and ultimately to welding and fabrication of each part. It takes a lot of time for 1 person to build something of higher quality than a company such as Cusco or Jspeed. I have to make sure I have the time to justify the investment, otherwise it's just a waste.

    I'll post a teaser thread just to gauge interest.

    Edit: Here we go: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24509
    Last edited by Conrad_Turbo; 03-16-2007 at 05:55 PM.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  24. #24
    CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    4,033
    Images
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad_Turbo
    It's not so much cost as it is time...I have no problem investing a few hundred or thousand in something (I've done that for smaller scale stuff). It's just the time...I am VERY precise and that takes time. I know for a fact my work is of higher quality than Cusco, JSpeed and other big manufactures. However they have many people and I do everything from design, building jigs, running for supplies, dealing with vendors and ultimately to welding and fabrication of each part. It takes a lot of time for 1 person to build something of higher quality than a company such as Cusco or Jspeed. I have to make sure I have the time to justify the investment, otherwise it's just a waste.

    I'll post a teaser thread just to gauge interest.
    ah please man.. would appreciate it.

  25. #25

    Default

    Cool Conrad.

    BTW, if you like, i would also be willing to send you some cash up front for some additional funding....

    your right about the side brace too now that i think about it.
    ^Ted^



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. List of 7th Gens.
    By badceli in forum 7th Generation
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 05:49 PM
  2. custom supercharger kit?
    By ummmx2 in forum Forced Induction Applications and Tuning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 03:15 AM
  3. Turbo 7th Gen VVTLi?
    By ROME in forum 7th Generation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 05:22 AM
  4. My Custom Made Fiberglas RAM Cold Air Intake (without moving battery) (56k waring)
    By 3S-GTE_Man in forum Custom Engineering/Design/Fabrication
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Top Member List Chat Forum Search Contact Top