CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 00/01 (as well as 97-99) camry exhaust manifold write-up

it's cheap, power gains are pretty good according to my butt dyno and best of all, it's OEM

2000 camry 5sfe exhaust manifold was installed into my 92 GT coupe today.... u can also use the 2001 manifold...here's my cost breakdown:

1. 2000 camry exhaust manifold - $50 from junkyard
    2. OEM exhaust manifold gasket - $25
    3. oxygen sensor - $30
    4. labor to install and make downpipe - $50
    5. Total - $155

1. Out with the old and the heavy

2. old skool technology lol

3. and in with the new

5. Yes, it is from the camry.... u can see it written on the runner

6. damn it sits high!!!

well, after the install, i was driving back and i saw A LOT of smoke coming from my engine bay... everyone at the traffic light thought i was gonna blow up or something..... i pulled over quickly, popped the hood and there i saw it:...

the freakin header sits so high tht it was touching the heat insulator... well, i ripped it off and junked it...here's how my hood looks now... she looks naked

in conclusion:

1. good gains for cheap
    2. need to wrap the header with exhaust wrap cos it sits too high, and need new insulation on the hood (which can be done for cheap).. link to new insulation is below:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...50869_-1_10261

NOTE:
    1. 97-99 5sfe camry manifold would work better as it will not sit as high.
    2. MAKE SURE that u get the exhaust manifold gasket for the corresponding exhaust manifold. 97-99 and 00-01 manifolds have different part numbers

very nice lil write up ill be doing this in a month or so when the snow goes away , did u just join the downpipe to ur OEM exhuast ? or do you have a custom one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ads28
    very nice lil write up ill be doing this in a month or so when the snow goes away , did u just join the downpipe to ur OEM exhuast ? or do you have a custom one?
    no, the downpipe is different... i have to get a custom one made... i did crush-bent piping cos it's a daily, but u can do mendrel-bent piping if u're into performance

yeahh i got that much i ment like is ur custom down pipe just connected to ur oem exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Ads28
    yeahh i got that much i ment like is ur custom down pipe just connected to ur oem exhaust?

yup... it's connected to the OEM exhaust piping... i'm not looking to get an exhaust system cos it's my daily

update:

1. ThermoTec exhaust wrap came in last nite

2. After install and initial start up.... that sh*t was smokin like a mofo!!

3. After exhaust wrap is cured

putting the heat shield back on tomorrow, and i hope it'll solve my heat issues

How much did that stuff run ya?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^$20 shipped.... 2" x 15'.... just enough for the runners

and oh, i got new NGK blues spark plug wires and a K&N drop in filter too :Ban1:

That's a pretty good price. Where at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    That's a pretty good price. Where at?

www.optauto.com

i could have picked it up and saved on shipping which was $7, but i said f*ck it lol... they're just a few miles from my house

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideCelica
    ...they're just a few miles from my house
    Too busy :smokin:

It was good to see a write up about this. Thanks for taking your time with the pictures and the step by step. This should be moved to the Tech Archives.
    Last edited by 1990CelicaGT-S; 04-05-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Thread Information