CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Fluid: ATE Superblue

Hawk HPS: Dust a decent amount, but very quiet, and good bite.
    Hawk Black: Decent track pad. Noisy when cold and hiss when hot. Lots of bite and heat resistant enough for light to medium track duty in our cars.
    Axxis Metalmasters: Very cheap and work well. Not as quiet as Hawk HPS but dust a little less.

I'm using Brembo OE rotors and am running the larger 92/93 GT/GT-S brakes at all 4 corners.

Roundy: A bigger pad means longer wear and slightly cooler pad temperature (friction is a function of surface area, and the larger volume will take longer to heat). Why do you want to upgrade the brakes if you just said the brakes are working fine?
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

because i can't get the bloody things to lock!

I have heard from quite a few people that upgrading their brakes was well worth the effort, more repeatable stops, better control, and just better braking in general.

also because i figure handling + brakes before power

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That's a good mindset to have. You'll be prepared when you do decide to go for more power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundy
    because i can't get the bloody things to lock!

I have heard from quite a few people that upgrading their brakes was well worth the effort, more repeatable stops, better control, and just better braking in general.

also because i figure handling + brakes before power

Ahh... So they're not working fine then. Something is clearly wrong with your car if you can't get them to lockup ever. The OE brake pads can lock.

Unless, of course, you mean, they don't bite as well on track. But then you said, that you didn't experience brake fade. I'm confused.

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Adrian, I think this is just getting at what could help a lot of these people - a good tune up of the brake system. Thats really a topic for another thread though.

My personal shout at a good pad - Porterfield R4-S

it stops very hard, i think they are working fine, and actually i may have locked them a couple of times, but at the track i don't just JUMP on the brakes, they get fed on quickly

but i think they are undersized for the job personally. GT4's aren't light beasts at all, and with a stock type pad i would DEFINATELY get fade.

Or maybe i am just way soft and don't push the pedal hard enough!

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Na.. the stock pads can really be weak after heavy braking! I'm sure you just need a nice set of pads an a good full brake system bleed.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Yeah it's really time for some good fluid and some good pads...

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

hawk hps? or ebc?? basic steet driven, no racing or AX
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Images

Well I'll just say for street driving the Porterfield R4S are a bit noisy, at least to me. But if you're willing to make that little sacrifice, totally worth it. As for fluids I've been using Wilwood 570 brake fluid and it's done real well.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

where do i get those pads?.....and im still looking for sloted rotors .....is what you said correct about the use of alltrac calipers (twin pot)in the front? or do i need the alltrac rotors too? i believe grayscale said the are the same size as mine if thats true i can get sloted alltrac rotors .....correct me if im wrong

It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......

Images

Yeah I believe the 92-93 GTS/Convertible rotors are the same size.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Images

Ummm...

www.buybrakes.com

Awesome folks over there.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Images

Still can't find sloted rotors.....

Images

Upgrade to AT brakes and calipers up front, all kinds of manufacturers of those rotors.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Images

Planning on it soon....0will I have to change caliper mounts too?

Is there any brake upgrade for the st that have 4 lugs that have rear drums
    Custom Intake
    Universal Muffler
    Hawk HP Brake Pads
    2002 MR2 Spyder Wheels
    Lowered By Zenn Springs 1.8" dropped

You could do the rear disc brake conversion, but then you would have two 4 lug rims, and two 5 lug rims....
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

1987 gts
    i'm running brembo rotors all around with akebono pads, all rebuilt king calipers, goodridge ss lines, gt-lma fluid, stock master cylinder and booster.
    well for street they work great, no dust, no fade, no issues. i don't think they would bite enough on a road course. i don't have ABS so i'm a little learly on getting pads that would bite a little more. on the flip side i've never managed to warp a brembo rotor, the pads are not cutting them at all and the braking is very balanced even under 140mph plus hard braking. ( i would not recommend trying that and turning at the same time)

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Joey,
    Are you still running rotorworks rotors?

I checked out their site, and @ < $50 each, they seem like a good deal, but the $65 shipping seems steep...
    YARRR!

'92 GT - Auto, Second OwnerSOLD
    !
    '93 GT - S54 Trans, Megan Racing 2" coils, SOLD
    !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brak
    Joey,
    Are you still running rotorworks rotors?

I checked out their site, and @ < $50 each, they seem like a good deal, but the $65 shipping seems steep...
    Yup, I still am. They're probably nearing the end of their effectiveness. They're glazed over pretty bad from all the track use. No rotor warp at this point (they've been turned once at 5 thousandths already) so I'll probably turn them again and hope they don't pulsate. If they do I'll just buy another pair of fronts.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Images

Do you need the caliper mounts for the at front brake swap too? Or just be calipers and rotors/pads?

Quote Originally Posted by celica9303
    Do you need the caliper mounts for the at front brake swap too? Or just be calipers and rotors/pads?
    If I recall correctly, the 92/93 GT and GT-S model Celicas have the exact same front brake setup as the 90-93 Alltrac models. Search the forum to be sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by celica9303
    Well with my earlier model Celica (90-91) I need the AT from caliper mounts and rotors. Pads and calipers interchanged.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Avgerinos
    If I recall correctly, the 92/93 GT and GT-S model Celicas have the exact same front brake setup as the 90-93 Alltrac models. Search the forum to be sure.
    Yup, 92-93 GT/GTS are the same rotors so hence the same setup.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Thread Information