CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

well all my brake mods r at a halt right now due to im buying a half cut to do the 3S-GTE swap and auto to manual conversion

Ok. Well in that case you should DEFINITELY check the stickies and archived threads on doing the swap. It will save you endless headaches. Good luck!
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

i've got most of them saved to my pc so i can print them off when i know ill be starting it. the only thing i havent seen in searching the threads is what kind of prep work should i be doing before i get the clip

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlife25
    The EBC brakes I mentioned in my previous post actually are a ceramic compound. Put on about another 1500 miles since this post. STILL not impressed. I would recommend staying with the stock brake unless you really plan on racing. If you do, I've personally had pretty good experience with Hawk Black pads. You could try blues in the rear to try and adjust bias, but its all a matter of taste and driving style.

same as you. I was running EBC greens all the way around, was impressed, however did not last nearly as long as I'd expect from 170$ worth of break pads.

I also have 4 Brembo cross drilled rotors. Say what you will about cross drilled rotors, but these run perfectly fine. Although there is minimal difference from stock rotors while city driving, you really notice the difference while on a track or when forced to make emergency deceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey
    I'm currently using the Porterfield R4S, can't say I'm all that impressed. They're not bad brakes per say just don't inspire the confidence that I had hoped. I've not hit the track with these brakes but I've put about 5K street miles on them and they're fine for that but I'll have to post again after an autocross. Hopefully I'll have some info for you guys next week sometime.
    They should be fine for the speeds/heat/power you're putting them through. Mine work great through 30min high-braking canyon carving sessions. I've even boiled my fluid before I started running Motul and the pads were doing great. I think you'll like them on autocross with a 3sge. More tq though and you'll probably need an upgrade.

Lavy: It's not that I hate drilled rotors at all. I just would prefer to use oem or oem replacement Brembos. Reason being that in heavy use applications, the drilled areas are prone to heat checking, which for the type of driving I enjoy could be a potential problem. I know that this may sound overly-cautious, but :shrug:

Your point about the EBC pads not having a long life is right on. Mine are due for replacement already I'm definitely going with Hawks this time around. Much better performance and the price is comparable if not less. Good streetability with nearly no warm up and absolutely EXCELLENT stopping power in an emergency situation. Should have gone with them to begin with, but I wanted to try something new....
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Quote Originally Posted by extremeskillz
    Rotorworks OEM crossdrilled and slotted rotors with zinc plating, posi quiet pads new rebuilt rotors painted red and S.S. Brake lines from Goodridge. DOT4 brake fluid from Autozone.

My car stops 10X better then it did stock. I installed all this at the end of July begining August of last year and just put only 30miles into it to break them in with the suspension. Then it went off to storage. I take it out every once in a while on nice days and believe me i can't wait until spring.

Looking into a big brake kit as a future upgrade.
    what brake lines are you using? the only ones I could find were for 5th gen all-tracs... are the brake lines for 5th gen all-tracs interchangeable with the ones for a 5th gen GT-S

here are the lines I was looking at... they also have ones that are for "89.3-93 celicas" and "85-93 rear disc celicas"... so um which do I get...
    http://www.buybrakes.com/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=
    Last edited by Unarmed; 05-23-2007 at 06:48 AM.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I bought my brakelines from those guys, great service when I talked to them over 2 year ago.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

ok... but what lines do I get? they have 90-93 all-trac, 90-93 celica, 85-93 celica w/ rear disc

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I think it was the 90-93 celica brake lines... can't recall (like I said, 2-3 years ago).

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

joey where did you get your rotors? ive been looking for slotted rotors for a while now? do you like them?? power slot dont make them for our cars.

plus one again for hawk pads
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Images

I bought them from a friend of mine w/ an Alltrac. I like them, maybe not a huge performance booster but definitely cool looking (especially since they're larger alltrac brakes). He purchased them from 935 but they took so damn long to send he bought another set from somewhere else (don't recall right now) and sold me these. They're by Rotorworks.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

I'm going to order some Hawk HPS and fresh set of rotors. If the parts show up in time I'll install them this weekend and do a fresh bleed. The previous owner told me he put OEM pads on the front and didn't remember when they were bled last. They're nice for keeping the wheels clean but have no real bite to them. I'm assuming they are some type of ceramic or organic pads. I'll report back once I get it done and test it out. It's going to an AX in mid-July so we'll see how they pan out.
    www.greywinds.com

Images

instead of just doing a bleed go ahead and change out all the fluid. Unless, have you done that recently? Basically just keep putting fresh fluid in until all of your old fluid has been displaced.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Well I ended up not using the Hawk HPS. I would have to order them and didn't feel like waiting. So I got some NAPA rotors for $25/ea and some Axxis Metal Masters for $50. Roughly $100+tax. If I decide to AX this car regularly I'll get some better pads for that and just swap them for those weekends.

Pretty basic system and no big deal doing pads/rotors. All those clips for the pads are annoying but they work. Rotors didn't want to let go and I had to get some WD40 around the hub and studs and then tap the rotor with a rubber mallet. Then they came off pretty easy.

The previous owner didn't grease up the sleeves very well for the floating caliper. The outside pad was nice and thick and the inside pad was severely worn down. The rotors were either warped or just had a horrible pad material build up. As long as the piston is not sticking in the caliper they should be just fine.

I checked the brake reservoir and the fluid is fresh. Didn't have time to do a full bleed. My "push the pedal assistant" didn't get home until late so I'll get the bleed done this weekend.

Did the bed-in last night. Nice firm pedal feel and better stopping power even new without being bedded in. I think the ones that were in there were organic or cheap ceramic pads. They're in the trash anyway. I'll get on the brakes hard once I get a few more miles on the system.

Do the Toyota calipers have a good or bad reputation for the piston sticking in the caliper and ruining inside pads?
    www.greywinds.com

Images

The Axxis Metal Masters are about your most basic of performance pads, it's pretty good but they do suffer at higher temps (I lit them on fire once).

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

any one heard of r1concepts.com? they make rotors i found the site on google
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Senior Member cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm currently running Znoelli slotted rotors (http://www.znoelli.co.nz/productcart...3&idproduct=73) with Mintex AF (semi-metallic) pads on the front and stock rear rotors with OEM pads.
    I previously had the Brembo rotors but had trouble with warping on two sets, this may have been a batch problem?
    The brake calipers and M/C have all been rebuilt and I use Shell DOT5.1 racing fluid and have Goodridge S/Steel hoses all round.
    While this works quite well, I'm still looking to upgrade probably to the Rocketeer big brake kit (http://www.rocketeerperformance.com/...00405a35dc5198) as this seems to be the only reasonably affordable kit I have found. I've heard different views on the Willwood calipers, though I believe Willwood have sorted most of these issues now? That said I'd probably go for the Superlites over the Dynalites....Has anyone here run one of these kits? Once they are sorted I'll look at upgrading the rears to ST205 rotors and calipers.

What I really wanted to use was the new AP Racing kit, this is super-sexy: 6 pot AP Racing calipers with 330x32mm ventilated floating rotors....mmmmmm
    BUT at NZ$6000 they are outrageously priced so these will have to wait until I win the lottery!
    To check these out and more info see this site: http://www.turbocelica.nl/apracingbrakes.htm

Images

The issue with Wilwood calipers is they're kind of soft. They have a bit of flex to them.

Now the AP calipers rock.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Senior Member cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light

The issue with Wilwood calipers is they're kind of soft. They have a bit of flex to them.

Now the AP calipers rock.

yeah, I had heard that about the Willwood Dynalites though I understand they have changed the newer versions of this caliper?
    Am I correct in thinking this issue does not apply to the Superlites?

This AP calipers sure do rock, shame the price doesn't!!! The D2 calipers are more like it on pricing (and you get 6 or 8 piston) but look a bit ricey for my tastes and are still not cheap even though half the price of the AP's.

Images

The only caliper specified was the Dynalites but there was an implication that Wilwood calipers (overall) were not that great. Also check and see if you can build a setup with Brembo (check w/ CMS-GT4). Also Precision also makes a pretty good caliper from what I've heard.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27682

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

The only caliper specified was the Dynalites but there was an implication that Wilwood calipers (overall) were not that great. Also check and see if you can build a setup with Brembo (check w/ CMS-GT4). Also Precision also makes a pretty good caliper from what I've heard.

I really just wanted a no fuss bolt on kit, a friend of mine has been looking at big brakes for his RC as well but he likes to 'fiddle' more than me and is looking at Supra 4 piston calipers with WRX rotors (I think) but while I know this sort of thing is do-able relatively simply, I really just like the idea of paying the money and getting my box of shiny new bits to bolt on and drive away - guess I'm just too busy these days at work to spend too much free time on tinkering,lol
    And hey, I won't lie - I do like the bling factor of those big rotors and an aftermarket caliper!
    The Brembo idea looks good, though it looks like CMS-GT4 hasn't finished this yet. I wonder if those Brembo calipers would work on the discs Rocketeer are selling?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from Rocketeer on shipping costs, so that will most likely decide the next step )and if I do get the kit I think I'll go for the Superlites!)

Forgot to add: Do you know where I can find the Precision calipers? I had heard of them but when I searched their website came up as 'parked' and the only other info I could find was about kits they had made with Wilwood calipers and their (Precision) rotors, which I believe is what Rocketeer are selling anyway?

I have been using Ferodo DS2500 pads on the front of my GT4 for about a year now with slotted rotors, and OEM rotors. warped 2 sets of slotted due to dodgy fitting done by me, didn't clean the surfaces well enough

also running braided lines, and Dot 4 fluid for the time been

absolutely awesome pad!

the feel of it is very good, they are a semi race pad, as such they are a little ordinary cold, but after the first stop they are better than stock pads

i haven't had them fade yet through my track days, the hotter they get the better they stop!

More than satisfied with them, will definately be getting a set for the 162 when it is running

But alas i am looking at upgrading the brakes, the wilwood calipers seem reasonably priced and most likely will be adequate for what i want.

What effect does the size of the pad have on braking performance?

guessing more heat dissipation capability for a bigger pad?

Thread Information