CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default The Celicatech Brake Review Thread!

Ok guys, long overdue, what kind of brakes are you running? On what car/cars?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Ok first for review was my old brake pads. Axxis Metalmasters. I ran them for about a year. Overall I was pretty happy. They stopped well enough but they did dust quite a bit and were a bit hard on the rotors. Still, not as much pedal feel as I like, they were more ON or OFF. Not much in there for brake modulation. So I'd say pretty good for street use or the occasional autocross. I did, under hard driving through some twisty up and down forest roads, catch the brakes ON FIRE... so not really a good pad for road racing...

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

EBC Red Stuff pads all 'round. '91 celica AT. Decent stopping power, but not anywhere near as resistant to fade as the company claims.
    I mainly just use them for street driving. They really do dust quite a bit, and showed their weakness in the fade department upon some mild mountain passing. Exactly the same pedal feel as stock and not much "bite".
    Last edited by Shadowlife25; 02-22-2007 at 06:10 AM.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

I use OEM on everything. There's really no beating them for lack of dust and noise, though I suppose for race application you could want for something that could handle the constant heat better.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

We need more. I've been reading many debates about ceramics. What else are you guys using? How do you feel about the different types of brake compounds available?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    We need more. I've been reading many debates about ceramics. What else are you guys using? How do you feel about the different types of brake compounds available?

The EBC brakes I mentioned in my previous post actually are a ceramic compound. Put on about another 1500 miles since this post. STILL not impressed. I would recommend staying with the stock brake unless you really plan on racing. If you do, I've personally had pretty good experience with Hawk Black pads. You could try blues in the rear to try and adjust bias, but its all a matter of taste and driving style.

Yeah I try stay away from Ceramic pads... from the reviews from my fellow autocrosser they say some of them stop fine but if they do they usually tear up a rotor... I'd rather not have that problem.

I'm currently using the Porterfield R4S, can't say I'm all that impressed. They're not bad brakes per say just don't inspire the confidence that I had hoped. I've not hit the track with these brakes but I've put about 5K street miles on them and they're fine for that but I'll have to post again after an autocross. Hopefully I'll have some info for you guys next week sometime.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey
    I'm currently using the Porterfield R4S, can't say I'm all that impressed. They're not bad brakes per say just don't inspire the confidence that I had hoped. I've not hit the track with these brakes but I've put about 5K street miles on them and they're fine for that but I'll have to post again after an autocross. Hopefully I'll have some info for you guys next week sometime.
    They should be fine for the speeds/heat/power you're putting them through. Mine work great through 30min high-braking canyon carving sessions. I've even boiled my fluid before I started running Motul and the pads were doing great. I think you'll like them on autocross with a 3sge. More tq though and you'll probably need an upgrade.

The EBC brakes I mentioned in my previous post actually are a ceramic compound. Put on about another 1500 miles since this post. STILL not impressed. I would recommend staying with the stock brake unless you really plan on racing. If you do, I've personally had pretty good experience with Hawk Black pads. You could try blues in the rear to try and adjust bias, but its all a matter of taste and driving style.
    - Mario

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlife25

same as you. I was running EBC greens all the way around, was impressed, however did not last nearly as long as I'd expect from 170$ worth of break pads.

I also have 4 Brembo cross drilled rotors. Say what you will about cross drilled rotors, but these run perfectly fine. Although there is minimal difference from stock rotors while city driving, you really notice the difference while on a track or when forced to make emergency deceleration.

Just bedded in some OEM replacement Brembo rotors with Hawk HPS pads last night. As far as a preliminary report goes, pedal feel is reduced somewhat, initial bite is pretty good. I'm still going a bit easy on them as Brembo said to avoid hard braking for about 150 miles. I'll add to this post after a while of driving on these.
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Hiko
    Just bedded in some OEM replacement Brembo rotors with Hawk HPS pads last night. As far as a preliminary report goes, pedal feel is reduced somewhat, initial bite is pretty good. I'm still going a bit easy on them as Brembo said to avoid hard braking for about 150 miles. I'll add to this post after a while of driving on these.
    Well, time for that.

So I've been driving with these for a while, and I have to say that there is not much to report. They break just fine, but nothing that's astonishing. In their defense, I don't track race or go canyon carving, so I haven't put gobs of stress on this setup. I can also say that they do still have more initial bite that your typical checker replacement pads.

Lastly, the brembos have not yet warped on me, which is VERY, VERY nice, as I'm used to going through rotors fast due to my job as a pizza delivery guy. Rotors usually start showing some signs of warping by this point, but nothing so far. So that says something about the build of the brembo's.
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it

Metal King front and rear on slotted OEM rotors... Still not sure if I like 'em yet, but early days. I can fade 'em on a fast road drive, but I'm not convinced that's a pad issue...

Small issue of (I think) a master cylinder on its last legs...
    1990 Series 5 Celica GT-4
    Needs: New brakes. New gas struts for rear hatch AGAIN >_< Repairs to drivers side after "adventure" with bridge.
    Wants: Tien coilovers. Audio system (planning at the moment), found System 10 door panels, system ten amp, need speakers and head unit and wiring and and and...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by =cJ=
    Metal King front and rear on slotted OEM rotors... Still not sure if I like 'em yet, but early days. I can fade 'em on a fast road drive, but I'm not convinced that's a pad issue...

Small issue of (I think) a master cylinder on its last legs...
    What kind of brake fluid are you running? That makes a big difference.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

+1 for the brake fluid. I think we should all post what fluid we are running as well as our current brake pads.
    I'm using Toyota OEM fluid presently, but plant to go with some Motul 5.1 non-synthetic fluid when I get my Hawks. It has a nice high boiling point (that of course I can't remember right now) and is purported to be fully compatible with any non-synthetic type brake fluid. I have used it on the track in an Datsun 2000 Fairlady that is running Porterfield pads and the temps are stable and the braking power in that car with the Porterfields is amazing.
    My $.02
    - Mario

Questions?

Current setup, on DOT4 standard brake fluid (gets changed regularly) :

Front> Standard callipers, Black Diamond Drilled (277mm) discs, Pagid fast road pads. Marginal gain over stock items.

Rear> ST205 calliper swap, standard (ST205 315mm vented) discs, stock pads (until conversion proven / finished). Definite improvement over stock, more stable rear braking, but my old rear brakes kept getting cooked and were in a bad way. I was worried about a heavy rear bias but they seem OK, and I do plan a large front brake conversion eventually anyway.

As they develop i'll post up changes / improvements.

Images

Well I'm using Rotorworks slotted rotors front and rear along with a full ST185 brake conversion. I'm running Porterfield R4S pad and Wilwood 570 brake fluid, holding up fairly well so far and can currently outbrake most cars out there.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

Rotorworks OEM crossdrilled and slotted rotors with zinc plating, posi quiet pads new rebuilt rotors painted red and S.S. Brake lines from Goodridge. DOT4 brake fluid from Autozone.

My car stops 10X better then it did stock. I installed all this at the end of July begining August of last year and just put only 30miles into it to break them in with the suspension. Then it went off to storage. I take it out every once in a while on nice days and believe me i can't wait until spring.

Looking into a big brake kit as a future upgrade.
    Last edited by extremeskillz; 03-15-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by extremeskillz
    Well let us know how this progresses.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by extremeskillz
    Rotorworks OEM crossdrilled and slotted rotors with zinc plating, posi quiet pads new rebuilt rotors painted red and S.S. Brake lines from Goodridge. DOT4 brake fluid from Autozone.

My car stops 10X better then it did stock. I installed all this at the end of July begining August of last year and just put only 30miles into it to break them in with the suspension. Then it went off to storage. I take it out every once in a while on nice days and believe me i can't wait until spring.

what brake lines are you using? the only ones I could find were for 5th gen all-tracs... are the brake lines for 5th gen all-tracs interchangeable with the ones for a 5th gen GT-S

does no-one on here think celica brakes are, errrm, how can I put this politely- faeces?

They are the worst brakes I've had on any car I've owned, and i've had a couple of shopping trolleys in the past. They are getting better though

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Q View Post
    does no-one on here think celica brakes are, errrm, how can I put this politely- faeces?

They are the worst brakes I've had on any car I've owned, and i've had a couple of shopping trolleys in the past. They are getting better though
    i agree, they are the worst brakes of all the cars i've driven in recent memory: i'm not even expecting to compare to my other 2 current cars, which are known for superb brakes (BMW E46 and Lotus Exige), but i want something that at least doesn't scare me on the street when i step on the brakes! i'm convinced that unless i am too picky about my brake performance (feel, bite, braking distance), something is very wrong with my car...?

my car is a '92 All-Trac. i have brand new goodridge stainless steel lines, ATE SuperBlue fluid, new OEM Toyota rotors, new OEM Toyota pads. i also fully rebuilt all 4 calipers with using OEM Toyota rebuild kit. for me, a car's suspension and brakes are #1 priority, so i don't skimp out on that (i'm an autocrosser hehe, so brakes/suspension before power mods!) i am not convinced toyota, when they sold this car new (which is basically what i've done to the car at this point with all brand new OEM parts), thought the brakes were sufficient, cos it's not...

anyways, before going to extreme measures (BBKs), i wanted to try changing a few things at a time. i want to try a different pad and see what that does-- so i came here searching to see what other people run. i'll give HPS a shot, since i've run them before.

my car is mostly a street car. occasional autox. prob. no track (road course) duty. i'm not asking for much. my family's old kia sephia braked better than this car (that car was only like 1900lbs, but still...)

Last edited by mike325ci; 08-31-2010 at 04:54 AM. Reason: added photo and a few more words

, Stock-ish (
    ) | NYC, NY, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mike325ci View Post
    i agree, they are the worst brakes of all the cars i've driven in recent memory: i'm not even expecting to compare to my other 2 current cars, which are known for superb brakes (BMW E46 and Lotus Exige), but i want something that at least doesn't scare me on the street when i step on the brakes! i'm convinced that unless i am too picky about my brake performance (feel, bite, braking distance), something is very wrong with my car...?

my car is a '92 All-Trac. i have brand new goodridge stainless steel lines, ATE SuperBlue fluid, new OEM Toyota rotors, new OEM Toyota pads. i also fully rebuilt all 4 calipers with using OEM Toyota rebuild kit. for me, a car's suspension and brakes are #1 priority, so i don't skimp out on that (i'm an autocrosser hehe, so brakes/suspension before power mods!) i am not convinced toyota, when they sold this car new (which is basically what i've done to the car at this point with all brand new OEM parts), thought the brakes were sufficient, cos it's not...

anyways, before going to extreme measures (BBKs), i wanted to try changing a few things at a time. i want to try a different pad and see what that does-- so i came here searching to see what other people run. i'll give HPS a shot, since i've run them before.

my car is mostly a street car. occasional autox. prob. no track (road course) duty. i'm not asking for much. my family's old kia sephia braked better than this car (that car was only like 1900lbs, but still...)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_NF1ZxMRWEZ0/TH...2/IMG_6787.JPG
    I upgraded my 200hp 90 GT to run the same front and rear brakes you've got on your Alltrac. Car stops just fine. Then again, I've got a huge weight advantage. For the street I run Hawk HPS and for the track, I've used Hawk Black. Rear pads are stock for street and Axis Metal Masters for track.

For something as easy as Auto-X (from a braking perspective), the HPS pads in the front should be just fine. If not, try the HP+ though they will squeal a bit. I also hear that Carbotech makes some rotor friendly street friendly high performance pads so you could look into those as well.
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

yeah...i've driven a completely stock fifth and sixth gen celica and the brakes did seem to get better by each generation...for my 7th gen the stock brakes were alright...but i went out and bought the TRD Big Brake kit, which is far better and has a good "on/off and in between" feel to it, but unfortuneatly TRD products end up being too much, it was the last TRD thing i bought

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atrac7gts
    yeah...i've driven a completely stock fifth and sixth gen celica and the brakes did seem to get better by each generation...for my 7th gen the stock brakes were alright...but i went out and bought the TRD Big Brake kit, which is far better and has a good "on/off and in between" feel to it, but unfortuneatly TRD products end up being too much, it was the last TRD thing i bought
    Well you'll find that almost all things TRD are made by other companies and sold as TRD products.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

hum so one thing i havent seen here is what is the compatibility of discs between st, gt, gts, and alltracs in any gen.

but my question is this for the 5th gen will the st, gt, gts discs be interchangable ?

and can u use the front one persay on the back ?

Thread Information