CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Thanks for the new review guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

on my 92' GTS i got 4 Mohawk Predator SRS 205/50 R15. not too sure if they are supposed to be good tires or not. they look cheap. they do good burnouts though! a buddy of mine has DOT rated circle track tires. 235/70 R15. they will fit with a crapload of fender modification. thinkin about throwin them on.
    custom short ram intake
    54mm throttle body
    TB coolant bypass
    STI 8mm wires
    NGK plugs
    advanced timing
    ebay header
    no cat
    lowered 1.5" (eibach sportlines)
    KYB GR2 shocks/struts

cylinder head progress:
    1.disassembled and cleaned
    2.milled .050"
    3.valve guides ground flush.
    4.intake diverters knife-edged.
    5.ported and polished
    6.3 angle valve job
    coming: acid ported intake manifold. cams eventually.

I got some yoko es100's. (215/40/17)
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0
    Drove normal for 2 weeks after i got them. Then i got bored and tried to see when they would break loose. And found out they do NOT stick to the pavement like my goodyears did. This was on dry cool pavement. You get what you pay for i guess. The f1's were about 150 a tire, these are 100 a tire. I purchased these because they were recommended by a friend and the reviews on tire rack seemed good. I did not expect them to perform the same as a tire costing 50$ more, but i did expect more out of them.

Right now im not sure if they are just too new or whats going on. I had my alignment done and everything checked out good after i put them on. I can only push the car about 50% compared to what i use to take turns on with my old tires.
    It also hard to tell when these are holding at their limit or going to completely break loose. But trying to drive these the same as i did with my old tires around turns is obviously not working.
    I am very disappointed with the performance of these tires. And judging from driving these on wet pavement, they are down right dangerous and i do not trust them to hold.
    Im going back to my goodyear f1's for my next set of tires. And i will never go back to any other tire.

michelin pilot sports kick pretty much all other DOT tires' asses in grip, predictability, and ride nose. the ps2s are even better, so i definitely suggest either.
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BEAMS
    I got some yoko es100's. (215/40/17)
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0
    Drove normal for 2 weeks after i got them. Then i got bored and tried to see when they would break loose. And found out they do NOT stick to the pavement like my goodyears did. This was on dry cool pavement. You get what you pay for i guess. The f1's were about 150 a tire, these are 100 a tire. I purchased these because they were recommended by a friend and the reviews on tire rack seemed good. I did not expect them to perform the same as a tire costing 50$ more, but i did expect more out of them.

Right now im not sure if they are just too new or whats going on. I had my alignment done and everything checked out good after i put them on. I can only push the car about 50% compared to what i use to take turns on with my old tires.
    It also hard to tell when these are holding at their limit or going to completely break loose. But trying to drive these the same as i did with my old tires around turns is obviously not working.
    I am very disappointed with the performance of these tires. And judging from driving these on wet pavement, they are down right dangerous and i do not trust them to hold.
    Im going back to my goodyear f1's for my next set of tires. And i will never go back to any other tire.

Oh yeah man... The Eagle F1-GS is an awesome tire. Hard to match for sidewall stiffness and overall grip/ load stability. But hard ride on the F1-GS, something about that kevlar sidewall.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

^ I would conclude that. Im running Hankook tires and there awesome. There stiff as hell and have strong sidewalls as well.

She's sold
    !

Quote Originally Posted by extremeskillz
    ^ I would conclude that. Im running Hankook tires and there awesome. There stiff as hell and have strong sidewalls as well.
    I'll second that... I'm running the Ventus HR2's and have been happy with them... had my left-front tire go bad and had to replace it, but I think that was just because I let it run too low on pressure last winter. Other than that, they work well, and I've driven them in the rain enough to know that they don't have any problems gripping the road.

ventus hr2s suck in my opinion. had them on the VW and they were a bit loud and lose grip really early.
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

Default Nitto NeoGen Review

Here is an initial review on the Nitto NeoGen. I got them during the Discount Tire website sale. So they cost me just under $200. When I got the mount/balance done they balance very well and needed little weight. The installer was pretty impressed.

I've got a bit over 1K miles on them now. Took a 600 mile round trip with them after the 1st week they installed. Mostly dry weather driving but have tested them in rain and standing water.

The tread pattern looks pretty neat. Not that it really matters. They ride very smooth and quiet on the street and highway at speed. They have good turn in response and don't feel mushy. The sidewalls are definitely not as stiff as some of the other tires I was considering, like the RT615. In rain I feel no difference in response. In standing water they don't hydroplane. Under braking they feel fine. Also the overnight temps here dropped close to freezing. They get just a bit of flat spotting over night but it goes away almost immediately. They don't turn into rocks in the cold.

I was supposed to do an autocross this weekend but have to bail on it so I won't get to test them right now. We're looking to do a fun, no points event in early December so I might still get to flog them a bit pretty soon.

So far so good. I like them for daily driver duty.
    www.greywinds.com

My buddy picked up a FULL 10 SECONDS on his AX car (1969 Datsun 2000) This last AX 2 weeks ago.
    He switched over to (I believe) A Falken 700 tire. Barely D.O.T legal
    Amazing tire, he had to do a refresher on learning to drive his car again because they grip so well. After a couple trash runs he got the hang of it and ran consistent times and took 1st and 2nd in class .
    Shipped and heat cycled from Tire Rack for $500. Not bad for a race tire.

-Mario
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Images

V700 has some tread... V710 just has two grooves.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Other way around I saw 'em in the flesh
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Images

? I run V710s...

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Yeah I'm confused too...

Falken doesn't make a 700 anything. Their best tire is the RT-615. High performance street tire. They're very good for AX or track if you want a tire you can drive to the track and race.

Kumho makes 3 competition tires. Shadowlife25. Here is a link. Which one?

http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/competition.do

Getting 10 seconds improvement on an AX course is not just tires. I have yet to see a tire change that got me even half that. Jumping from an RT-615 street tire to a Kumho V710 or Hoosier A6 I would expect about 4 seconds. If the street tire was shot and the race tire was new then maybe 6 seconds.

10 seconds says he either got better at driving or got runs on the course on crap tires and then switched to competition tires. Just one "feel out the course" run can make a big difference on run #2. Man I wish I could knock 10 seconds off my lap times at VIR with a fresh set of tires. I could nail the track record for my class
    www.greywinds.com

85 celica gt-s with irs open rear end
    suspension: kyb gas-a-just shocks w/1 inch drop ebiach springs (rear) tokico illuminas(front) w/1 inch drop ccs springs, front and rear strut tower bars

TIRES: falken 512 85w
    size: 225/40/16
    miles so far: 5000
    cost: 280 shipped......+/- 20

scale of 1-10 , 1 being suck and 10 being god like

wet traction 8
    dry traction 9
    dry turning traction 10
    wet turning traction 7.5
    wear, ........after beating them for 5000 miles fronts still at 10/32, rear at 9/32
    noise: cant tell, car is rediculusly deep sounding

comments:
    As you can see i have a built suspension and even with me full on the gas its hard as hell to break these tires loose, and i have torque, a good bit for this engine, even in the rain, ive tried to spin this car, i cant, these are great tires, i can take a banked ramp at 80mph with ease ,would buy again

05 subaru legacy gt
    suspension: stock

TIRES: falken 512 94w
    SIZE: 225/45/17
    MILAGE SO FAR: 1000
    WEAR: n/a...no wear as of yet
    price: 308 shipped w/ warrenty and road haz

wet traction 8
    dry traction 9
    dry turning traction 9
    wet turning traction 9
    noise: very low

comments: great tire for the money, would buy again, 3300lb awd car so its hard to break loose, hear a slight tire hum at 95mph with radio off. car feels more solid on the road now, should have bought 235's

both cars tested on street only no track condtions as of yet
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes is a splendid one to behold geebes's Avatar

Images

Kumho 711 (now discontinued)
    Overall: good tire
    Noise: medium
    Grip: pretty good, not the best in wet.
    Wear: about 30k miles, and its about time for new (keep in mind I don't drive hard)

Yokohama Prada spec 2
    Overall: Love them
    Noise: good
    Traction: always good
    Wear: Haven't put much mileage on them (on the black turbo celi that I hardly ever drive.)

I really like the Yoko's I will probably get them for my next set to replace the kumhos
    Right, Brilliant, Cheers!

Hankook Ventus RS2 V212s

215/45-16s
    $90 apiece from www.edgeracing.com (They were out of my Azenis )

Love e'm. Sidewall seems to be really stiff, i don't get any wallowing feeling anymore compared to the ASXs that i've habitually run in the past. The grip is flat out freaking insane. I found myself TRYING to break them loose on the Dragon, and couldn't without fear of committing hari kari with my passenger in the car.

Haven't really tested wet grip much.

CAVEAT: These DO NOT grip extraordinarly well when cold, or even cool. The road noise is pretty bad. They have to be heated up, until then expect to hear a lot of complaining from them, and a mildly twitchy rear end when hooning around.

Definitely would buy again.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

Has anyone had Toyo Proxes 4? I have always wanted to try them out.
    I had Kumho Powerstars on my ST last summer, they were good for the price (about 60 a piece) and they did very well in the rain. Handling was a bit difficult to tell since my Celica had such beastly body roll.
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Images

The Proxes 4 I've driven on and weren't too thrilled with them. I mean they're a good daily driver tire, but even then they seemed noisy. Figured it should grip well and be noisy or last forever and be quiet. They didn't work well either way. Although I haven't owned them seems like customer cars get around 50-60K of simple driving, so life isn't bad considering they grip better than most.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ciento44
    Hankook Ventus RS2 V212s

215/45-16s
    $90 apiece from www.edgeracing.com (They were out of my Azenis )

Love e'm. Sidewall seems to be really stiff, i don't get any wallowing feeling anymore compared to the ASXs that i've habitually run in the past. The grip is flat out freaking insane. I found myself TRYING to break them loose on the Dragon, and couldn't without fear of committing hari kari with my passenger in the car.

Haven't really tested wet grip much.

CAVEAT: These DO NOT grip extraordinarly well when cold, or even cool. The road noise is pretty bad. They have to be heated up, until then expect to hear a lot of complaining from them, and a mildly twitchy rear end when hooning around.

Definitely would buy again.
    I've gotta agree with him on this. I've been pulling some awesome times w/ the Ventus RS2s.

Size: 245/45R16

Also, by weight mounting the tires (yellow dot to the valve stem) on my SSR Comp Cs I used all of 10grams of weight for 4 tires! And that was 10grams on 1 tire! Hurray less weight!

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

I love my Falken RT615's. Grip hard, super stiff sidewall, low noise. With the shallow tread depth and lack of meaningful grooving I wouldn't trust them in a heavy downpour. My Celi is not my daily driver.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Senior Member cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Cavanagh
    Has anyone had Toyo Proxes 4? I have always wanted to try them out.
    I had Kumho Powerstars on my ST last summer, they were good for the price (about 60 a piece) and they did very well in the rain. Handling was a bit difficult to tell since my Celica had such beastly body roll.
    I rate these tyres as far as daily driver duties go (I wouldn't use them for autocross etc!) I use them on the GT4 and on my Holden Ute (Pontiac G8 Sport Truck ) - on the Holden I got 55000km of relatively hard all weather, city & freeway driving. They work well in the wet and dry and aren't too noisy on our roads (we have coarse chip tar seal mostly) compared to most other similar tyres.

For sure there are better tyres out there for noise and grip but as a real world daily driver tyre these work well.

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

I just discovered a tire called Strata, model ZENO.

I heard some good things about them and are priced relatively the same as Wan-Li's (Cannon's tires)

Ratings are 400 AA 92H

I found a set of mesh style 18's that are used for $250 that I can get when I get home and I just want to get a set of tires on there that will be decent.

Seriously, the most aggressive driving I'll do in a year is the Dragon...and that's it.
    --Aaron
    1976 Toyota Celica GT 5MT//2007 Honda Civic//Skateboard

I currently have BF Goodrich Touring T/A because they were the only 205/55/15 tires in an 100 mile radius,
    Awesome wet handling, respectable dry.
    but in a year i have had to buy 7 of them- 4 original and 3 replacements. 1 i put a nail through the sidewall? 2 just popped.
    I wouldn't recomend them just because of that reliability issue, and they arn't cheap $100 per tire. But the wet and winter handling is fantastic with them the dirt traction is good too (live on a dirt road).

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall!

CelicaTech Supporter DAVAGOGO is on a distinguished road DAVAGOGO's Avatar
    DAVAGOGO has donated to the forums! DAVAGOGO helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! DAVAGOGO helped get Play's clutch job done.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAVAGOGO
    I hava p zero nero pirelli. Got em last year with the new 17's berore the beams went in. They're the low profile summer performance tire.
    Handle speed very well however wear quite rapidly. A big drawback however is city driving. These tires are fragile on pothole infested inner city streets . We popped 2 tires in potholes in about 3000 miles of driving. Although One happened on I-95 a hole in the middle lane in front of RI hospital. That tire was well worn after only 3000 miles.
    I noticed extreme wear on the front tires so I decided to order some new ones. These tires hold the road great but I wanted something that I can use in the winter. I went with the new all season p zero. I managed to get 15k out of these. I wanted to get more but I wore clear through to the steel cords . Finally got a flat today. Guess I'll have to get the new ones mounted. They're 215 /40/17.http://www.celicatech.com/forums/att...tid=1332&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture.jpg‎  

bruce-soir

Thread Information