CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    CelicaTech Supporter DAVAGOGO is on a distinguished road DAVAGOGO's Avatar
    DAVAGOGO has donated to the forums! DAVAGOGO helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! DAVAGOGO helped get Play's clutch job done.

Images

Unhappy

I hava p zero nero pirelli. Got em last year with the new 17's berore the beams went in. They're the low profile summer performance tire.
    Handle speed very well however wear quite rapidly. A big drawback however is city driving. These tires are fragile on pothole infested inner city streets . We popped 2 tires in potholes in about 3000 miles of driving. Although One happened on I-95 a hole in the middle lane in front of RI hospital. That tire was well worn after only 3000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bruce-soir

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

I have Fuzion ZRi in 215/40/17, good in the wet and dry. They're summer tires, Fuzion is basically a Bridgestone tire for cheaper. These are comparable to the Yokohama AVS ES100, more grip on the Fuzions though. Check out the tests here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=57 and here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=78 . I'm pretty satisfied with them good bang for the buck. For daily driving they're great. Don't try them in the snow.

I do autocross on these tires but not too competitive with these the front rolls over onto the sidewall on stock suspension, and they don't have the grip level or stiff sidewalls of Azeni RT-615 or the Hankook Ventus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

right now i'm running on some pretty boring michellin winter tires that sound horrible when you drive on normal paved roads but are amazing for any snow/icy conditions and i'm not gonna deny that they've saved me pretty good in some higher speed turns in my opinion...i have just been too lazy to switch over to my spring/summer pirelli's i got last year, although i've been told to avoid ruts and hole as much as possible because while they're good for grip and high speed turns, they've got a tendency to get pierced rather easily apparently? eh, i'm planning on upgrading to some 17's soon though, but i don't know which set to get...if anybody's selling, do tell (i know this is supposed to be said in the for sale forum section sorry) i'll be interested

It took more than two months to actually get off my butt and race on those azeni's. But my god was it worth the wait.

These were Falken Azeni RT-615's in size 205/40/16 mounted on 16x6.5 wheels. I put them on to test for rubbing the day before the race, and they seemed like a fairly tame daily use tire. Not much noise, and no harsher a ride than my 711's on 17" wheels gives.

For the money, I don't think you can do much better than these when it comes to autocross. My main complaint is the soft sidewalls. It seemed like it didn't take much to start rolling over, so I'm going to have to get some camber bolts to help that problem out. In addition to that problem, these tires really don't like heat. My dad was codriving the car, so it was seeing more abuse than usual, but even still, after every single run, the fronts were sprayed down. It even got to the point that even the rears desperately needed to be cooled (from what I've seen, that's not very usual on FWD).

But for all these shortcomings, when the tires were treated properly, they had so tons grip. I went from being a non-factor in the class, to actually doing pretty well. And I wasn't driving too well that day, either.
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it

Has anyone tried the Nitto NeoGen? I see it is available in 205/50-15 and the price isn't bad. I'm only familiar with the Nitto R2 road race tire. Those are not bad at all.

This would be mainly for daily driving and maybe 2-4 AX events. I'm tempted to throw on some RT-615s but not sure those would be such a good idea for a daily driver.
    www.greywinds.com

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr
    Has anyone tried the Nitto NeoGen? I see it is available in 205/50-15 and the price isn't bad. I'm only familiar with the Nitto R2 road race tire. Those are not bad at all.

This would be mainly for daily driving and maybe 2-4 AX events. I'm tempted to throw on some RT-615s but not sure those would be such a good idea for a daily driver.
    Yeah the Azenis aren't too great in the rain. I would suggest the Hankook Ventus Rs2 Z212, they're in the same class as the Azenis, they are a little less grippy but they're much better in wet conditions compared to the Azenis.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

as far as all-seasons go, I've had good experience with lemans brand tires. I have them on my truck and I get much better grip than the old ones in rain and they are a good wear rated tire and not priced too high either. I have a different type on my grand prix which have been pretty good with as thin as they are too

Has anyone tried the Nitto NeoGen?
    I personally haven't, but I have a friend who has been running them on the street in his civic, and he stands by them. He says they have pretty good grip, and as you said, the price is good.

Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you.
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it

The neogen is a real nice tire, a friend of mine has them on his neon and they grip real nicely on wet and dry pavement. They also get real good reviews

Hankook also make a real good tire

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

From what I hear NeoGens are great bang for your buck tire (because they're way friggin cheaper than the performance difference to most of the other tires).

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

I'm running Brigestone Potenza RE92's all around. 195/55/15 Pretty good all around general use tires. I wouldn't recommend them for any "spirited" driving though, as they break traction a bit too early for my liking, but hey, they aren't a high performance tire:shrug:
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

ive had yokohama's on my stock gts rims. i donno why, for somereason i feel they grip better. i now have michelin z rated tires. i like the yokohama's better

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey
    From what I hear NeoGens are great bang for your buck tire (because they're way friggin cheaper than the performance difference to most of the other tires).
    This is true, they only run a little over $100 per tire, while other top of the line tires are like $300-500

Quote Originally Posted by celicaGT90_05
    This is true, they only run a little over $100 per tire, while other top of the line tires are like $300-500
    Huh?

From DTD the NeoGens are $77, The Kooks Z212 are $88 (but on back order), and the Azenis are $90. That's shipped to your door.

Edge Racing has the Kooks in stock for $81 + shipping.

Vulcan Tire has the Azenis in stock for $73 + shipping.

Not too bad a deal on any of these tires. I'm going to decide on one of them soon. The Celi is going out for a test run at an AX in mid-July. I suspect I will kill what little rubber is on the edges. The upside is the tires are about at perfect racing depth
    www.greywinds.com

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Damn the NeoGens used to be super, super cheap back in the day... what happened?

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Huh?

From DTD the NeoGens are $77, The Kooks Z212 are $88 (but on back order), and the Azenis are $90. That's shipped to your door.

Edge Racing has the Kooks in stock for $81 + shipping.

Vulcan Tire has the Azenis in stock for $73 + shipping.

Not too bad a deal on any of these tires. I'm going to decide on one of them soon. The Celi is going out for a test run at an AX in mid-July. I suspect I will kill what little rubber is on the edges. The upside is the tires are about at perfect racing depth
    Last I saw of them, they was about $100-110 per tire, but some tires go for about $300 per tire which is ridiculous, then again they aren't every day tires. What site did you find them on for $77 per tire? I need some 18s for my 18 inch wheels

Quote Originally Posted by celicaGT90_05
    Last I saw of them, they was about $100-110 per tire, but some tires go for about $300 per tire which is ridiculous, then again they aren't every day tires. What site did you find them on for $77 per tire? I need some 18s for my 18 inch wheels
    DTD = Discount Tire Direct

Maybe running 18's on your car I could see that. It costs me about $300/ea for 18s on my Z06. Those are 295/35-18. I'm not going run wheels like that on the Celica. 15's are just fine. I like the idea of getting a whole set of tires for what I normally pay for 1 tire
    www.greywinds.com

actually the 18s I have are for the ranger, I am thinkin about gettin 17s for the celica when I have some money, plus I want to get a set of 7th gen GT wheels for it

Well I did an AX for the 1st time in the Celica and left the Vette home. That was an eye opener. I'll post about that later. Another driver in a newer Celica had the NeoGen on his car. He said on the street they were excellent in dry and wet. For the price for street driving really hard to beat. On the AX course they weren't very good. He had problems getting straight line traction and couldn't hold the car very well in slaloms. Said they were getting greasy too easy and constantly breaking away. I watched him drive one run and he wasn't that impressive. Hard to tell if it was tires or driver.

So a positive review for the street but not so good on AX course. On the same course the guys with Azenis and Hankooks were doing much better.
    www.greywinds.com

Images

Like I've said the sidewalls of the tires make a big difference on AutoX, so more even than tracks because the corners are usually much sharper and there are usually more high G transitions.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Sumitomo HTR H4 205-60-14 on my 88 GTS. Good tire for price. Don't have a ton of miles on them yet, but they certainly grab much better than the Dunlops I took off (that still had tons of tread left, just hated the handling). Road noise is much less, too.

However, I wish Bridgestone made the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position in a tire size for my GTS (w/o going to 17" rims). I'm running those on my Camry and they stick like nothing I've ever driven before.

Neither car sees snow, so don't know how they do there, and neither has seen rain yet w/ new tires.

Images

If you like the Pole Positions think about the Eagle F1s... awesome tire.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

nitto nt-01s FTW

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco angryyoungnpoor is on a distinguished road

Images

had 205 15 falcon rt615's on the car. Til I put my new wheels with Sumitomo HTRZ's did I notice how much more difficult the rt's were to turn. Driving is so much smoother now. I bet my traction isn't as good though.
    1990 White GTS/W swap ///// 1992 RED GT

Senior Member cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light cs363 is a glorious beacon of light

I've tried various tyres - Yokohama, Bridgestone etc but have settled on the Toyo Proxes F4 as for our roads (mostly crap surface, coarse chip and not always maintained that well, though great driving roads otherwise!) they seem to give a good compromise between wear and performance/noise.
    They are not as sticky as some of the high performance tyres out there but have never given me any moments and we get all types of weather here (the common saying is that we get 4 seasons in one day) and everything from blazing hot summers (hot enough to melt the tar on the roads) to snow in winter.
    What I like about them is the wear or lack of it (they have a wear rating of 300, most sports tyres struggle to get much over 200) and the fact that they are not too noisy, yet have an aggresive tread pattern (directional) and a nice looking sidewall with a good rim protector. Work great wet or dry!
    I use these tyres on my GT4 (215/40x17) and on my Holden Ute (245/40x18) and will definitely go with them again.
    My tyre guy says nearly all his customers that use these tyres love them.

If you want something stickier the T1R Proxes from Toyo is worth a look too, though these don't last anything like the F4's.

Heres the link to the Toyo site: http://www.toyo.com.au/PCR%20new.htm

Thread Information