CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Lifetime Member Demz is just really nice Demz is just really nice Demz is just really nice Demz is just really nice Demz is just really nice Demz's Avatar
    Demz has donated to the forums!

My experience with tires:

85 Celica GT-S

195/70/R14 Barium Bravuris. Bought these as a poor high school student. Meh grip all around, but had stupidly long lasting tread. After about 8 years, still had about 80% tread left

245/45/R16 Goodyear Eagle ZR45. Bought these as a poor college student. Lots of grip 70+°F. Couldn't even get out of my driveway on dry pavement below 30°F.

99 S10

225/60/R15 Road Hugger M/T. Tons of dry and wet weather grip. Snow traction was about 4/10. Was easier to drift around corners than grip them.

215/60/R15 Yokohama Ice Guards. Never driven above 50°F. Snow traction was about 8/10, Ice traction was about as good as I have ever seen a studless tire. Dry traction was good as well. Used 3 seasons, barely any wear.

235/65/R15 Prospector SUV. Got these for free for helping a friend. Dry, wet, and snow traction was all meh. Used for a season, then a Mountaineer rolled my truck.

91 Celica GT

185/65/R14 Michelin Harmony (???need to double check) Pretty decent grip all around. These things HOWL when going through the twisties with way less abuse than I find reasonable. As a result, I can pull more Gs in my Colorado.

00 Bonneville SSEi

235/55/R17 Pirelli Pzero Nero. Pretty good grip for Dry and wet. In the winter, they were still functional. First half of tread wore really fast. About 5000 on first 50% of tread, 15,000 until they got to about 3/32". These tires seemed to take the weight of the front end the best. Every tire after these seemed to be low on air, even at 38 psi, despite having the lowest load rating.

235/55/R17 Cooper S4. Pretty good grip all around, even in winter. Not much to say, they must have been pretty good sense they didnt really give me trouble.

235/55/R17 General G-Max AS-03. Just bought these. Pretty cheap tire, about $130/tire in a size where most are $150-$180/tire. Pretty good grip in dry and wet. Seem a bit stiffer than either Pzero or S4s. No winter driving yet.

06 Colorado

265/70/R17 Pro Comp M/T. Decent dry pavement grip. Terrible wet grip. Pretty good mud and snow grip. Terrible on ice. Tire compund is kind of on the soft side. I can take a long sweeper around my house doing 75mph with these, my 91 Celica, about 65mph.

Also have a bit of experience was BFG KDW-IIs. Pretty badass tire IMO.
    The Stable:
    1985 Toyota Celica GT-S "Celes" because racecar
    1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS "Audrey" because **R.I.P.**
    2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi "Suzanna" because family car
    1991 Toyota Celica GT "Eva" because DD **Back from the Dead**
    2006 Chevrolet Colorado "Kylee" because racetruck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^Clicky for CarDomain^

did you wrote hankook rs-3???

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I do believe I put a review of the RS3s on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey View Post
    I guess I can add a few.

Hankook RS3
    225/45R15
    Great warm, dry weather tire.
    Scary in the rain.
    They take some time to get heat in them and vibrate a bit at freeway speed until they warm up.
    Also don't grip well when they're cool.
    Scary in the rain.

Hankook Z214 C71
    225/45R15
    Race tire, dry track use only.
    Great overall autocross tire. Last about a third longer than the Hoosier A6s with better response/crisper feel. Aren't as forgiving past a certain slip angle.
    Takes a little bit more to get them heated up but feels like a good balance between the Kumho V710s and the Hoosier A6s of the same size.

Toyo R1R
    245/35R17
    Summer street and wet race tire.
    Has a separate label on the tire warning about driving on them in subzero temps/snow/ice, so I wouldn't recommend that.
    Decent feel when mounted on a wide rim (17x9).
    Good water evacuation at full tread. Less so @ 5/32nds. Still great in the normal wet PNW track conditions but some hydroplaning with standing water.
    Not as good when heated up as the RS3s. Better cool than all the other 140+treadwear autocross tires.
    Can overheat (unlike the RS3s which just want more heat).

Hoosier A6
    275/35R15
    Mounted on 15x9 on my AE86 Corolla.
    Autocross use only.
    Sticks out well past the wheel wells.
    Totally overwhelms the chassis of the car.
    Need more power, can't get car to break tires free.
    Will probably break something in the drivetrain and will probably eat wheel bearings.
    AWESOME.
    Here you go.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

I'm thinking of picking up a set of Falken ZIEX ZE-912's in 215/50R16. Any other recommendations? As much as I liked my Yokohama S.Drives, I always wear them out between 15k to 20k miles.

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
    245/40ZR17 front
    265/40R17 rear
    Summer street
    Mounted on da 87 Supra
    Dry grip is good when not overpowering them with torque and horsies. Wet is "decent", but does not make me feel super confident. They are wearing ok all things considered (bad alignment for most of their use). I would be really happy with these tires if not for:

Dunlop Direzza Z2
    205/50R15
    Summer street
    Mounted on MR2 Spyder
    Even when the tires are cold dry grip is just ridiculous and far and away the best of any street tire I've personally driven on. I've taken hard 90degree turns and the tires haven't squealed or let go so much as just chirped as the whole car skipped a few inches. In the wet they are far superior to the Z1s, and in fact the best tire in the wet that I've had on the Spyder before (had some all seasons before and a set of blizzaks through the winter, which was only rain, no snow). I don't know yet just how badly they'll wear (have to expect it to be fairly quick, but that's ok with me). I would not hesitate to buy another set of these. In fact if and when they have the right sizes and the Supra's Z1s are spent, the Z2s will be going on it. I would be surprised if there are better all around tires to use on the street and for things like Auto-X both (of course, race tires would be better for racing, but I'm talking about multi-purpose and varied weather).
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Thread Information