CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default THE CELICATECH TIRE REVIEW THREAD

Ok so I wanted to see if I could get a thread here to see what everyone is running on their cars currently. This will be our tire review guide. It doesn't matter if you just got your tires or if you've had them for a while. Tell us what you do with your tires (eg. dry weather, wet weather, snow, ice, autocrossing, drag racing, rally racing, road racing, ect) and how long you've had them. Also if you have other tires that you've had previously let us know what you think. PLEASE also let us know what size tire it is and also what car/cars it was on. I'm hoping we can make this a thread that can help people in the market for tires get an idea of what tires work for them.
    Last edited by KoreanJoey; 02-21-2007 at 07:30 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

Right now I run 165/70 on all fours.

Dunlop SP-Sport in the front.

Warrior all season out back.

The Dunlops are amazing tires in dry weather. They stick so well, even with a shitty suspension. Don't use them on the snow though. They get zilch traction.

NOTE: My tires are larger than the normal size.
    --Aaron
    1976 Toyota Celica GT 5MT//2007 Honda Civic//Skateboard

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Ok, here is one of my many to come inputs (I typed out a whole thing but I accidentally hit the backspace button and lost it...).

I'll start with my daily driver tires the Yokohama AVS ES100s. The tire size is 205/50R16. Overall I've been pretty happy with the tires, they give good grip on both dry and wet weather conditions. I must warn however they do wear pretty quickly, are pretty noisy (transfering quite a bit of road noise) and are horrible on snowy or icy conditions. I got about 20K miles through my first set but that is also including most of a season of autocrossing once or twice a weekend and also an aggressive alignment. Although they're pretty good street tires I'd stay away from doing any sort of racing on them as they do overheat pretty quickly and when overheated will become quite slippery. On top of overheating they have a fairly soft sidewall and will roll over CONSTANTLY (even at 50PSI) and cause excessive shoulder wear. In conclusion if you're looking for a good summer performance tire look into the Yokohama AVS ES100s but if you're looking for ultimate grip there are other, better, options available; look into the Falken Azenis RT-615s

I'll add more reviews in the next few days.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

All of mine have been 205/45/17 on '92 GTS lowered 1" +/-
    Two sets of Yokohamas, one set of Avids, don't remember the other. They both blew goats. One wore way too fast, only about 5k miles, the other set had two that actually deteriorated from the inside out. When I took those off they were all gooey inside like it was melting, strange. And I no matter what I did, I could never get any of them to wear evenly. Had two Kuhmo Ecsta somthinorothers when the two Yokos failed and they actually ran well-good economy/budget tires.
    Currently I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza G009 @ about 6500miles. So far they have been the best tires I have ever had. They are wearing perfectly and I get traction no matter what the roads are like. Don't know anything about noise on any of them since the radio is always on.
    I drive about 80 miles a day back/forth to work and that's about it.
    I would also like to plug www.tirerack.com as they are by far the best and cheapest place to buy tires(even after shipping. Just keep an eye on them, they are always having some crazy deal on performance tires. I got the Bridgestones from them for $54 a piece normally $142! They will also ship your tires directly to your installer and shipping is cheap and usually only takes about 2 days.
    Last edited by grayscale; 03-09-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Images

Hey now, if you're going to plug www.tirerack.com I've gotta plug www.edgeracing.com

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

not celica related, but i know there are some guys who offroad.

i had bought 33" BFG A/T's for my jeep, and they were exellent in all sorts of terrain... not the best for mud, but usable... good in snow though... but were a little noisy on the highway. it is a jeep... so once you get above 120kph it gets scary anyway..

on my roomates pathfinder we just through on 4 hancook a/t's... very nice as well, a lot less road noise than the BFG's... but totally not as knobby or cool looking as they are... haha

i'll come back when i buy good tires for my car. haha.

Images

Ok now up for review are a couple of autocross only tires. 1st is the Kumho V710 DOT legal racing tire. I've driven at autocrosses with the Kumho V710s on several different cars with several different tire sizes. To give you an idea of their range I'll just put up some cars that I remember: 1991 Toyota Celica GT Coupe, 1993 Toyota MR2 Hardtop N/A, 1994 Toyota MR2 T-Top Turbo, 1994 Mazda Miata, 1999 Mazdaspeed Miata, 1984 Mazda RX7 w/ 13B-T swap, 1974 Mazda RX3 w/ 13B-T swap, 2006 Mini Cooper, 2006 Mini Cooper S, etc. The Kumho V710s are amazing, the level of grip is far beyond that of a street tire that if you haven't driven on autocross rubber it's hard to equate in words just how much better it is. The tires allow for faster steering transitions, better braking, better corner acceleration, and just amazing grip overall. If you're planning to do some serious autocrossing I'd definitely look into picking up some Kumho V710s in the future. Basically the V710 is one of the 2 dominate tires in autocross but I'd recommend the V710s over the competition and I'll explain why.

The competition to the Kumho V710s in autocross are the Hoosier A6 series of autocross tires. First off, they are very, very good tires, I've driven on them on a number of cars. They grip well, better at the beginning of the life than the V710s. That doesn't last long, after a few races the tires will already start to slow with the V710s matching speed and then surpassing it in a matter of 10-12 races. The Hoosiers are also generally more expensive than the V710s and it just doesn't make for a good cost to effectiveness ratio.

In the end you have to decide for yourself. If I had the money to get a new set of tires every 3-4 months I would buy the A6s, just for that little bit of extra grip. Unfortunately I don't but my Kumho V710s have been alive for 2 seasons now without incident.

But wait, that's not all! I don't know about you guys, but living here in Washington State we have rain... and I mean, lots of rain... and you don't want to try to race on full race rubber when the track has spots of standing water (if you do like that, you're a little crazy). In the event of suck conditions theres only one full racing tire the autocrossers turn to maximum wet grip. Those are the Hoosier Wet Radials. I've driven on them just a handful of times but I can tell you, it's the difference between sliding all over the place and making 1st place in the rain. Good to have in your trailer if you'll be going for some serious championship points.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

I'm running some falken z something 205/55/15 just summers for the 4th gen

and my tercel has kumho ecsta supra 205/55/15 again just for summer bombin around. Nice rubber...they last

I suppose I'll chime in about my tires. To start with, I was running yoko es100's in a 215/40/17 size, and I agree with everything Joey said except the rolling over, I never had that problem with them.

Now I'm running Kuhmo 711's in the 215/40/17 size. For dry grip, I suppose you could say I've been spoiled by the ES100's, but they are not near as good. They are not predictable at all. I could go around the same corner at the same speed, plus or minus 3 mph, and they'd go from just fine to squeeling like a pig. They also gave no warning at all before they broke free, it was all or nothing. I put one autox on them and swore never to again (hence why I haven't autox'ed the celi in 5 or so months). They do just fine in the wet, but they are way bad in snow (course I'm the only person stupid enough to look at these and think to myself "all season"). All in all, a good street tire, but don't count on a great autox experience. Not bad for the price I paid for them, either, being $70 per tire. Though they are now discontinued.

Next tire I'll give a pure autox rating of as I never drove them on the street, I borrowed a set of wheels and tires from a friend who also has a 5x100 lug pattern. The tires he had that I used were Falken Azeni RT-215's in a 205/50(?)/15 size. These are the best tire I've autox'ed on so far. They were extremely predictable and had very high levels of grip. I'd could push the car a lot harder before they started to give, and even then, they gave me good warning up until they broke loose, so I could rectify the situation easily. Great tires.

Reserved spot for RT-615's. Going to put my first event in on new set of wheels and tires hopefully on next Sunday.
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it

Time for my go...... these are what I've had fitted to my 1993 celica GT.

215/40/17's

Kumho Ecsta Supra 712> Pretty bad tyre, except wear rate. They last forever, I still have the rears fitted which came with the wheels 3 1/2 years ago. They seem really hard, and can spin up in second in the dry or third in the wet, don't inspire confidence in the corners at all.

Yokohama Parada Spec 2> Very very good all round tyre. Nice soft compound so good grip, wet performance nearly matches that of in the dry- with confidence inducing stiff sidewalls. The wear rate I bet will be pretty bad, as theyre quite soft, but I suppose you can trade that for the extra grip. Massive grip / feel increase over the Kumho's.

205/55(or maybe 50?)/15's

Pirelli P6000> Good allround progressive tyre. These take a lot of stick in the UK, but I found them to be quite a forgiving tyre- let you know when you were at the limit, and didnt just "let go" once past it! another tyre which performs similarly in the wet to the dry.

Bridgestone Potenza S03> Very good tyre, nice and sticky- but transmit more road noise than the pirellis. More grip though, and felt like more solid sidewalls.

I don't know of the wear rate on the 15" ones as they were swapped for 17's before I'd had them for any length of time.

I've had a few nasty tyres on 16" rims, but they were all budget types on ugly rims which came with the car! All were awful!

ill let u know when i get my other 2 matching yokohama avids, should be a week or 2
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Car: Mercedes benz C200 kompressor (170ft-lbs @ 2500 rpms, RWD)

Michelen pilot sport PS2
    225/45/17 front
    245/40/17 rear

These are the quietest tires i've ever had. They are awesome tires but may need a bit of a warm up... like if i'm going about a turn and i give it some gas the ass will slide a bit... do that 3 times over and they start to stick... i can still break them loose when i want to... but if you're on a spirited run, the more you beat on them the glue-ier they get.

When they slide (unless they are dirty) they are silent ... they don't hydroplane... the sidewall could be stiffer... you can feel them squirm just a bit ...but these are the BEST tires i've ever had...

other tires i've tried:

Bridgestone potenza 185/55/14 on the 1991 celica GT << decent tires

Hankook ventus K104 245/45/17 on the 3000GT << these tires, i thought they were ok... till one day i took them to an autox and they were just horrible... i probably ate through 1/8" of my tread on that autox...and they were REALLY loud the whole time... then there was all of that AWD drifting that i really didn't mean to do ... they really were ill equipped against a 3800lbs car...but for being a street tire , having to deal with a 420hp car, at a HOT autox track... i guess they make a good street tire.
    Last edited by nuclearhappines; 02-19-2007 at 03:53 PM.
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:

Images

Now the next tire I'm reviewing is another tire I've only driven on the track and can only speak of wear on a hearsay basis.

It's the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R. These tires were on a 2005 STI tire size was 245/40R17. Phenomenal tires for street tire class. Amazing grip and amazing cornering ability. They're sidewalls are a bit softer than the Falken Azenis RT-615s but with higher pressure are pretty resilient to rolling over. Probably one of the top tires in street tire class, and yes, they are faster than the Falken Azenis... problem is, they're also far more expensive than the Falken Azenis and also has higher treadwear. Choose wisely.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanJoey
    Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R....and yes, they are faster than the Falken Azenis
    I've never seen a direct comparison between the RE-01R's and RT-615's, but I have seen comparisons of the RE-01R's to Yoko Adavan Neova AD07's and of RT-615's to Advan Neova AD07's. Both comparisons were put on the same cars and tested on the same tracks. The Neova's beat the RE-01R's, but were beaten by the RT-615's.

Here's the RE-01R's compared to AD07's, look at lap times
    And here's the RT-615's to AD07's on the bottom of page 7
    She lives!!!

And now thrives. Took 3 years and an embarrassing amount of money, but tooooooooootally worth it

Images

Guess it depends on the car they're on and probably due to being shaved or not.

EDIT: Yokohama Advan Neova
    Price Each: $209 (unshaved)

Like I said...
    Last edited by KoreanJoey; 02-22-2007 at 12:11 AM.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Guess it depends on the car they're on and probably due to being shaved or not.

EDIT: Yokohama Advan Neova
    Price Each: $209 (unshaved)

Like I said...
    That may be. My only question is did you drive the STI with the Azeni's and then drive with the Bridgestones? You never specified. If you did, I'll shut up. But I think you might be confusing the characteristics of a car onto the tires with the performance of the tires.
    Last edited by KoreanJoey; 02-22-2007 at 04:23 AM.
    She lives!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hiko
    That may be. My only question is did you drive the STI with the Azeni's and then drive with the Bridgestones? You never specified. If you did, I'll shut up. But I think you might be confusing the characteristics of a car onto the tires with the performance of the tires.
    No I drove both the Bridgestones and the Yokohama Neovas for the STi. I don't think they made the specific tire size (245/40R17) for the Falkens. I think they're sized at 235 (which should be plenty since they usually run wider than most street tires). I'll see if I can find anyone that's got both Bridgestones and Neovas at the next school. I might be instructing this coming autoX school so it's a perfect opportunity to try different tires on similar cars.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

I might be instructing this coming autoX school so it's a perfect opportunity to try different tires on similar cars.
    Sounds cool, should give you a great idea which tire is better than the next.

Anyway, I'll stop cluttering up this thread with conjectures and let it get back to its intended purpose.
    She lives!!!

Images

Neovas are the faster tire... no doubt in my mind... I don't have the times from the last practice day last year but they'd show you. However the amount of wear on the tire does make a big difference, so I can't quantify how much it changes due to the life of the tire.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Images

Well I'm hoping to be able to try out the Hankook Ventus RS2s which are supposed to be pretty good tires. I guess we'll see.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

I currently run on Bridgestone Potenza RE71 205/55/15 Not too bad considering the shocks/struts are wasted. Kinda fun in the rain actually

Images

Well guys, I know there are a lot of other people on Ctech and everyone has to have tires, so lets hear it.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Ummm, quick comment on michelin pilot sports. (have them on the stock MKIV supra wheels). They were bought brand new about 2 years ago, put on the car, and sat without moving more than once or twice until I bought the car this fall. I was amazed to find they still had a fair amount of tire pressure, are not rotted all to heck, and do not even have flat spots. They are a little harder than they should be, but I'm impressed at how well they perform with that kind of treatment. I guess for the price tag you would hope so, but I have to give a for them either way.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

k now that i have yokos on all 4 corners , even my tires being bulbus stock, 225/60/14 , they are actally pretty responsive , and wear slow, ive had the rear 2 on for the last 5 months @3000 miles per month with beating on them , also havent been rotated , have only worn to 7.5/32nds tread which is about 75% tread left, now ive put those on the front and the new ones on the rear and the car sticks to the road

they are yokohama avid s/t 225/60/14, from tire rack are 57 dollars each
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Images

I think we need more reviews!

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.

Thread Information