CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default front left and right assembly?

Its time to replace the whole suspesion on my moms car, but i am having a hard time find the front suspension assembly. Her stock assembly is fubar, so i was hoping you guys can tell where i can find it. Btw its 5gen gts.
    Project: Code Red 92 GTS
    Team 3D: Dedication, Determination, And Desire

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

The front struts on a fifth-gen Celica are rebuildable, meaning you take the strut apart and replace only the shock dampener which is inserted into the strut body. If you intend simply to refresh the struts/shocks, KYB makes the appropriate parts under its GR-2 model.

Keep in mind that you'll likely need to replace the strut mounts ($50 x 4), the stabilizer bar end links ($30-$60 x 4), spring seat insulators (dealer-only, $50 x 6), boots ($10 x 4).

Rockauto.com is a good source for the aftermarket parts, though you can sometimes find them cheaper on Ebay. For Toyota parts, try Lithia Toyota's online store; if you can't find the part, use Lithia's sub-forum here on Celicatech to get in touch with Tracy who's our resident parts liaison.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Worst thing on doing the fronts is getting that damn gland nut loose if there is much rust. The rest is pretty simple.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

I actually found the gland nut wasn't much of an issue, but I sort of cheated: stuck the strut in a vise with the jaws holding the gland nut and used a long bar through the bolt holes for the knuckle to twist the whole assembly. Just had to remember to only crack the gland nut, as the vise I used required the strut to be upside down and the stock struts are filled with a light oil to help cool the shock dampener inserts.

Followed this guide with appropriate differences for a Celica versus the MR2 for which it was written. I also chose to disconnect the calipers and thread the brake lines through the line hangers on the struts, rather than cutting them as is done in the guide. It's about the same amount of effort, with the bonus that disconnecting the calipers means they're completely out of the way when you're manuevering the struts in and out.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Thread Information