CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    n00b Truganini is on a distinguished road

Columbus, Ohio (school) Mt. Vernon, Ohio (home)

Default Car and Driver Review of '90 GTS (Possible Sticky?)

I found a review of the 1990 Celica GTS from a June 1990 issue of Car and Driver. It's five pages long, and has the usual performance testing. I know that I've searched long and hard for 0-60 times that the magazines recorded on our cars, only to usually come up empty handed. I think it would be great if there was a sticky on the 5th gen forum where people could post any reviews they find on 5th gens.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Truganini; 02-02-2005 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Posting Article
    1991 Celica GT Liftback

That's neat, but do you have any higher resolution scans? It's impossible to see the numbers they give.

I'd sticky it in a second if I could actually see what it said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

The images have been resized through Photobucket. I could email the files to someone who could post them at their larger size, which is readable.
    1991 Celica GT Liftback

topless is more fun! roman is on a distinguished road roman's Avatar

Yeah, my eyes hurt after reading that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Truganini
    The images have been resized through Photobucket. I could email the files to someone who could post them at their larger size, which is readable.
    dave.helgeson@gmail.com

-Dave

AllOutRed90

isnt 17.2 at 79 MPH a little slow???

i can get like 87 in the quarter when my car was stock and its an auto....WTF...lol

wish my engine bay was that clean

AllOutRed90

it was once upon a time

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte_FifthGen90

i can get like 87 in the quarter when my car was stock and its an auto....WTF...lol
    mine ran like .5 slower than that stock.. had 140k on the clutch and i drove kinda shitty so that may have affected it, but that seems about right

AIM: ibanezgfx

AllOutRed90

how are your guy's cars so slow? i had no mods and got almost 90!!!

Hooligan: article sent

I've taken 1/4 times on my Gtech; 17.4 @ 83.7 mph. A little slow considering my car is a GT, but then, my car is 14 years old.
    1991 Celica GT Liftback

the driver was 350lbs they forgot to mention. they were probably biased against imports and got their not so skinny driver in that day. lol
    92 Celica ST 5spd "Midnite Black"
    91 MR-2 T-Tops 5spd "Arrest Me Red"
    G/F's 2005 Scion Tc 5spd Flint Mica 5Spd "The 90 AT Blew Up!"

------------------------------
    -----------------------------

Captain I wont let Luni drive my WRX on the Dragon Wicked Toys is on a distinguished road Wicked Toys's Avatar
    Wicked Toys has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Wicked Toys helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte_FifthGen90

Same for my GT, stock was like 85 and now 90/93, also an Auto.

91 GT "8 Years of Enjoyment but Sold"
    86 GT (Gave to Cousin)
    91 Alltrac/GT-Four "For Sale"
    04 WRX "Stage 2 Daily Driver"

BlueCelicaGTS

It also says top speed is 119mph... i've been well above that in my 91 gts.

jburner21

"It also says top speed is 119mph... i've been well above that in my 91 gts."

how's that? whenever I hit about 117mph, my engine jus quits and slow itsself down to 90 before it will let me accelerate again...

What's up with that?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

For the magazine articles that get posted, I think we should just upload the pics to the server and then move it to the archives under Celica General after people have had a chance to check it out. That's what I'm going to do with the 2 mag articles I posted in 5th and 6th gen.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Its not really that much of a favorable review. Was the Celica's design really that controversial when it came out?

But I look at it like this... 15 years after the article was published, which car has come out on top? In my opinion its the Celica. There are a great deal more 5th gens on the road than any probe or 300zx or any other car they mention in that article. Its design does not look dated. Often people are suprised when I say mine is a 1992 when they thought it was a 96 or 98.

Of course my opinion is biased but I wouldn't expect many to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    For the magazine articles that get posted, I think we should just upload the pics to the server and then move it to the archives under Celica General after people have had a chance to check it out. That's what I'm going to do with the 2 mag articles I posted in 5th and 6th gen.
    excellent idea.

Chris - see the mods forum, but I asked someone to get the full-res pics up. A member sent them to me and I will forward them to whomever.

-Dave

minou87

Quote Originally Posted by Truganini
    I found a review of the 1990 Celica GTS from a June 1990 issue of Road and Track....
    It's actually from Car & Driver, but a good read nonetheless.

topless is more fun! roman is on a distinguished road roman's Avatar

FWIW, my '90 automatic GTS with 140k miles on the clock ran 17.7 @ either 78 or 87mph. It's been so long, I don't even remember. The fastest I ever got it on an open stretch of road is about 124mph, but that was a LONG stretch of road.

AllOutRed90

took me not even 2 miles to get to 130

jburner21

I'd really like to know how/if any one has been able to get their 5th gen to get above 120mph. Mine basically puts the lock down on me at around 115mph. As soon as i hit 115 or 116, it slows down to 90 and then won't let me accelerate for a while...

Your feedback would be appreciated....

AllOutRed90

i have an automatic and just shove it to the floor lol

Is that 0.95 Gs of latteral force ???
    it's sad we didn't get the 3s-ge, it would have been even better (hell 3s-ge 4th gens are faster!)

I had good time with this one

The new ride!!

msn:

Thread Information