CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1994 celica gt cold air intake

I've searched for a while now to find out there are no cai's available for us 94-99 celica owners. Does anyone have a good idea on how to build one. At work I got a tube bending machine and I think I'll use 304 stainless steel, but I need more info. Anyone? also I'll start posting my pics soon. Thank you all !!!

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

here is a link to a do it yourself cai. the only thing it was missing is a bypass filter to prevent hydrolock. http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/cai.htm

i did mine a little differently but it is the same concept. here is what i used.
    1. two 25'' long, 2 1/2'' i.d. exhaust pipe(only 1 is really needed if you dont' screw up).....$3.50ea
    2. 1 90* elbow.....$5
    3. 1 exhaust hanger strap.....$4
    4. one 2 1/2'' i.d. rubber elbow from home depot.....$6
    5. 1 high flow air filter.....$20
    6. a 2'' air filter w/tube & grommet.....$8

i won't go into too much detail because the pics are pretty much self explanatory. btw i bought everything from autozone.

1- you'll have to remove the battery and relocate the coolant reservoir to the other side of the radiator. you will need to extend the hose going into the coolant reservoir by 8''.
    2- the exhaust pipe came in 25'' long pieces with a coupling on one end. you'll be cutting the coupling off in this application because the 90* elbow has a coupling on each end. cut a 9'' long pipe for the first joint and a 13'' long pipe for the second joint.
    3- place the rubber elbow on the intake manifold and clamp it.
    4- take the 9'' piece of pipe and drill a 1/2'' hole in it about 5'' down from the end. this is where you will be placing the 2'' filter. this is important because you don't want to suck water into your engine and this bypass filter will keep that from happening. place the grommet in the hole.
    5- next connect the 9'' pipe to one side of the elbow and the 12'' to the other. the 9'' end is going to connect to the rubber elbow on the manifold. then all you do is drop it in the area it is going to be in and rotate the piping until you get it adjusted to where you want and the hood shuts all the way down. use some 1/2'' waferhead or panhead self drilling screws to fasten the pipes together.
    6- extend the harness on the iat senor by 12''. you can drill another hole in the cai tubing for it but it will cause an obstruction of air flow. what i did was i extended the wiring harness by 12''. then you will notice that right beside the battery there is a piece of air duct from the stock intake which dead ends behind the head light. drill a hole in this duct and install the iat sensor here. this way it will read the same outside air temp that the cai will be picking up.
    7- mount the exhaust hanger next to the battery tray and fasten it to the cai to keep it from moving. install both filters and enjoy the cold air.

here is where i relocated the iat sensor at first.

then i moved the iat sensor here.

if you want it to look real nice paint it.
    Last edited by hookecho; 02-07-2007 at 09:37 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

why did you use that small filter about half way to the throttle body?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco BlueDragon will become famous soon enough BlueDragon's Avatar

Images

lol can i call re-re on that post?

He said it in that huge whopping one paragraph woulda kept you up all night.... its to keep you from sucking water into your engine in case of any puddles etc it stops the suction so your filter can just dry instead of making your engine no go go get get??

Thanks a lot guys for the info. i'm looking forward to start on my cai. one question though: what if I use a 3" O.D. 304 stainless steel tube w/ a reducer, then use a bending machine to route it forward and down my the front bumper. I think the secondary filter is a good idea. I'm not sure if there is a need for the O2 sensor that feeds into the stock air box. what do you guys think? by the way pictures really helped. thanks a lot. can't wait to post my pics.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

you can use 3'' o.d. and a reducer if you want. the sensor in your air box is the intake air temp sensor. you will need to use it. if you don't you will get a check engine light. you can drill another hole in the cai tubing for it but it will cause an obstruction of air flow. what i did was i extended the wiring harness by 12''. then you will notice that right beside the battery there is a piece of air duct from the stock intake which dead ends behind the head light. drill a hole in this duct and install the iat sensor here. this way it will read the same outside air temp that the cai will be picking up.

i will take a pic and post it in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

thanks for the info. you've been really helpful. didn't fully understand where to stick the sensor, but i'll get it once i see the pic. thanks. finally posted a few pics of mine. mods: so far it's all just for the looks. barely starting to square away under the hood. our custom intake job will be my first.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

btw i edited the 1st post so it would be easier to follow.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

yeah, ill get that picture to you in a few hours and it will be listed in my first post above.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

the picture of the iat sensor relocation has been added to my first post. i am however planning to move it to filter by drilling a hole in the area of rubber on top of the filter. then pushing it in at an angle that will keep it out of the immediate path of air flow. this way it will get a better reading at idle.
    Last edited by hookecho; 01-21-2007 at 09:25 PM.

i've been wondering how to go about making my own cai. looks really good too. i'm definately going to do this.

i think the cheapest way and less time. i purchased a carbon fiber intake from ebay for a 96-00 honda civic and it bolted right on and the sensors to. pretty weird. it fit fine and looked great. and i went to emissions right after and it passed no problem. this was about two years ago. i switched to a cold air intake for a honda now from ebay for about 38 dollars shipped with everything bolted right on looks and sounds great. but its up to you man good luck

thanks for all the info and the pics. pics really helped out to get the picture in my mind.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

^^no problem.

do you think i should also route my iat sensor to the original air-box duct or should i go w/ your future plan of having it by the filter on the rubber hose. could you clarify that. which rubber hose? the elbow by the throttle body? looks like that's the only one. just making sure. thnx. by the way at work i checked out the prices for the 3" 304 stainless tubing. it was 20 bucks per foot and minimum purchase was 20 foot. so i'll go to autozone this weekend. hehe.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

i'm going to move the iat sensor to the main filter. the reason being that where i have it located now the sensor doesn't really get an acurate reading while the engine is idling. there is no air moving through the stock duct unless the car is moving. so when the car is stopped it is subject from the hot air in the engine compartment. also, because that stock air duct doesn't have the vacuum from the motor sucking air into it anymore then you are simply relying on the forward movement of the car to create air velocity through the duct. being that the duct is located behind the headlight i don't think that there is enough air moving through the duct to combat engine bay temps. all in all the iat needs to read the temperature of moving air inside the intake becuase the ecm uses the signal to help control fuel.

hope that makes sense?

here is a pic of where i am going to mount the sensor. it's represented by the yellow dot.

definately huge help. thanks to you I sound like I really know what i'm talking about now when it comes to intakes. lol.

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Im still wondering about the bypass filter. You say that it is goin to make less pressure on the main filter so it doesnt suck water..but in order for it to not suck water the pressure being reduced would have be more than the weight of the water...do you think that little filter is releaving enough pressure or just adding hot air to the intake? Im sure there is some very complicated and long mathmatical process to tell us but skrew that...have you drove in the rain with it yet then pulled the tube and see if any water drops are up twords the top? If this actually works I need to do this to my CAI which is relocated into my fender and get a little wet in rain.

Actually you could just attach the cone filter straight onto the throttle body, it wont make a difference in power lol, once the car is moving there is enough air moving into the engine bay to make the temperature within 15 degrees f of ambient, and thats not going to hurt your power at all.

Originally Posted by Luni
    What I want to know is how is a boosted anything lost to a 5SFE.

Or you could do the uber-ghetto short ram like i have. Helped top end, and makes a ridiculous sucking noise. I'm talking, REALLY loud.

I did mine out of necessity, rather than want. My stock intake hoses were cracked all over the place, so i just ripped it all out, used the good elbow section, and slapped a ricer cone filter on the end. Drilled a hole in the bottom of that short section of hose to plug the IAT sensor, and it works fine.

Make sure you have the sensor plugged somewhere in the intake, otherwise you run the risk of misfiring like crazy below 3200rpms like i did.

But yeah.... best $4 mod, ever.

Well what people don't really grasp is not all engines get any good gains from just an intake and its not worth spending more than $20 on an intake (unless you want it to look really nice) the intake just isn't going to make a difference on an otherwise stock 5sfe, heck even with all the basic breathing mods(intake, header, header-back) the engine just doesn't have the cams for a natural aspirated build.

Originally Posted by Luni
    What I want to know is how is a boosted anything lost to a 5SFE.

so pretty much for all celica drivers unless we have the 3sgte engine or we totally modify the engine itself there is no point of trying to get more horsepower. would that be correct?

Myself i've been trying to figure out of they give any difference in gas milage. No one seems to have a good answer.... I would think the denser o2 would make the engine make a better use of the gasoline, but maybe im off base... or maybe its so minimalistic its pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonX
    so pretty much for all celica drivers unless we have the 3sgte engine or we totally modify the engine itself there is no point of trying to get more horsepower. would that be correct?

To a point....

Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, clutch will all improve the fun factor in driving. Will it put down much more power? No. Not at all. But it will much improve the responsiveness of the engine.

Thread Information