CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Got my car back after 23 days...

All because I broke 2nd gear.

Basically, several months ago, my 2nd gear started grinding pretty badly and eventually got to the point where I couldn't use it anymore. I could shift into 2nd, but as soon as I released the clutch, it would kick back out of gear. At first I could hold it in, but eventually nothing worked, and it just grinded the hell out of it.

So for a few months I just learned to drive 1st to 3rd all the time. Worked fine and got me everywhere I needed to go. But of course I couldn't let it stay that way forever, so at the beginning of this year I scheduled to put my car in the shop (owned by my GF's dad's friend). Dropped it off January 2nd, planning on being stuck at home the next few days after getting my wisdom teeth removed on the 3rd.

To summarize the next three weeks, an ice storm hit and knocked out power in various places, an incomplete set of parts was shipped, the wrong part was supplied, and finally god knows what the fuck happened, because all I got each time I called was another excuse and a "hopeful" completion date.

So as all these "hopeful" deadlines were set and then passed, I forgot more and more what my car was like. After the first week of bumming rides and all the horseshit that goes along with not having a car, my friend bought a new truck, freeing up his 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera which I then borrowed. See the other thread about "My temporary beater" for more information on this beast of a car.

Yadda yadda yadda... 1000 miles, $52 insurance policy, and 15 days with my borrowed car left me really spiting this whole situation.

I can't tell you how much I sighed relief tonight after getting all this done finally.

Anyway, my car is back and is as awesome as the day I bought it. If I didn't already own a 7th gen GT-S, it would be the car I would buy, for sure.

A few differences between the Olds and the Celica (in order of encountering the car, getting in, and driving):
    - Celica looks awesome, Olds looks like crap.
    - Door key and keyhole on Celica work beautifully, Olds is the worst feeling mechanism ever. Totally cut up my fingers trying to turn that fucking key.
    - Door key and ignition key are the same, and bi-directional on Celica, Olds uses two different keys which have a top and bottom.
    - Celica seat wraps around you and fully supports you, Olds seat is a fucking couch that rocks back and forth on one side. Olds does have a big ass arm rest which rules.
    - Leather > Old-lady-smelling cloth.
    - Celica starts easily and enthusiastically, Olds sometimes doesn't want to start, and must be persuaded like a tired old bitch.
    - 6 Speed TRD short shifter > Auto with lever on the steering column.
    - Celica steering wheel has a thick leather rim and is small, tight, and precise. Olds has a dirty rubber skinny rim and is huge, loose, and, well... loose.
    - Celica accelerates quickly, Olds stutters for a few seconds, then surges forward.
    - Celica handles beautifully, thrown into turns and grips like a charm. Feels perfectly balanced. Olds floats through the turn, dives, squeals, sucks.
    - Celica sounds like a goddamn race car. Olds sounds like a tired old V6.
    - Celica shifting is close-ratio, quick selection, and fun. Olds... shifts sometimes? I think?
    - Celica power controls are centrally located and quick to respond. Olds power controls are falling off the door.
    - Power sunroof > lousy falling down headliner.
    - Celica stereo/MP3 CD player kicks ass, Olds radio and speakers are crap... CD player doesn't work.
    - Celica headlights are bright and white, evenly aligned. Olds are dim yellow, uneven, pointing 10 feet ahead of the car.
    - Celica has properly functioning turn signals.
    - Celica gets 30+ MPG running hard, Olds gets 19-.

Anyway, I am a happy boy. It took a long time and I endured some shitty circumstances, but it all just makes me appreciate and love my Celica even more.

I am a driver, and this is my car.
    Scott Smith |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | AIM: nullitum | 2000 GT-S 6spd (Sold at 208,000 miles)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here's what came out of my transmission:

Scott Smith |

its a great feeling when you get your car back. My car was in the shop for 13 months and 22 days, so trust me when i say I know the feeling. I am taking the shop to court, but that is another story. I am glad to see that you are happy and have your car back.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Excellent comparison between the Celica and the Olds. Noted!
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Did they say what the problem was? I have very little understanding of transmission internals. It looks like you ground the crud out of that gear, but why?

Congrats on getting the car back though!

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    Did they say what the problem was? I have very little understanding of transmission internals. It looks like you ground the crud out of that gear, but why?

Congrats on getting the car back though!
    See I never really understood what happened either...

He said that the new parts were slightly revised so that this problem wouldn't happen again.. supposedly it was a known issue, although I've never heard of it. I am almost certain the selector fork was worn/bad and that's what wasn't keeping the car in gear properly. The gears weren't stripped or missing teeth, and like I said, the car would go into gear but would pop back out under load. I suspect that most of the grinding/chipping was done by me experimenting with keeping the car in gear. I spent a lot of time trying different things... holding it in as hard as I could, shifting at different rpms, etc. Each time I did that, the tranny would grind really hard. I figured it was gonna have to be rebuilt anyway so I just kept on doing it.

I think in addition to that, the synchronizer was worn from harder than normal shifts (*ahem*). All of these problems probably stem from my driving the balls out of it all the time, but I think the selector fork was actually a weak point that shouldn't have gone out so easily.

I was surprised seeing and feeling these parts. The gears are some seriously fucking heavy hard metal. There's no way you should be able to break these just by driving hard. And that was the case... they weren't broken except for a few very small corners chipped, and that inner set of teeth on the larger one being shaved off, which I don't think was from driving, but grinding the hell out of it. The fork is the lightest thing there except for the tiny ring thing which iunno wtf that is. I even looked at the Toyota C60 transmission repair manual and I don't see anything that looks like that with little teeth on the outside. They match with the teeth on the gears though, so who knows.

I'd like to have been able to do this work myself so I could understand better how the transmission works (and what I did to help it die), but I neither have the tools nor the time to do such a project in my driveway. Although if I had known it would take 23 days either way, I might have given it a shot and borrowed tools.

Bottom line is, it's fixed, and I can't wait to drive it again today.

Oh yeah, the Celica sleeps in the garage, while the Olds was on the street, because of our household rule that the two newest and most valuable cars get the garage spaces. Just so happens that I have a newer and more expensive car than my dad with his 96 Mustang GT, so I win.
    Scott Smith |

Thread Information